Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Big Sur

We're heading down to Kirk Creek Campgrounds in Big Sur in a couple of days, and I'm not so sure about being on the "ocean side" of the road on the way down. I know, I know, spectacular scenery, aren't we lucky etc. etc. but I'm not that good in a cozy ground-hugging auto, so how am I going to be peering off into the wild blue in a big truck with a biiig trailer in tow?
Word on the street is that I have gasping issues. (OK the street is our driveway and the word is spread by daughters and husband....that's so wrong.)
Have any of you done this drive towing 25' or more? Would love any input.
Many thanks,
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Janet---The really scary part of the road is south of Big Sur. If you're driving south from Aptos, it's about 25 scenic miles south of Carmel to the camp grounds. Go ahead and gasp and tell the driver it's the spectacular scenery that makes you do this. Or, move to the driver's seat where you have to focus on the job at hand. Have a great trip.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Bob. Great advice, and I'll do my best to follow it, except for the driving part. Although I've been very comfortable towing "inland" I just don't think I can manage maintaining my cool on those spectacular cliff-side curves. But I promise to work hard on the "oh wow look at that gorgeous geological formation at the bottom of this sheer drop" part of the shriek.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Going to the Sun Road

Just think you could be driving the Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park! Of course it would appear that my tow vehicle may barely meet the vehicle limitations for the drive as long as I fold the mirrors in!

No vehicle longer than 21' and wider than 8'.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Janet,

Piece of cake with your 25-footer. None of the curves are very tight. Just take your time. No hurry. Enjoy the journey.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
We're heading down to Kirk Creek Campgrounds in Big Sur in a couple of days, and I'm not so sure about being on the "ocean side" of the road on the way down. I know, I know, spectacular scenery, aren't we lucky etc. etc. but I'm not that good in a cozy ground-hugging auto, so how am I going to be peering off into the wild blue in a big truck with a biiig trailer in tow?
Word on the street is that I have gasping issues. (OK the street is our driveway and the word is spread by daughters and husband....that's so wrong.)
Many thanks,
Janet,
Just close your eyes or better yet you drive and let Terry gasp.
Enjoy the scenery.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hi Janet, Jan and I were just at Plaskett Creek CG last weekend, and make frequent trips towing up the Big Sur Coast to Pfieffer Big Sur. In fact we will be up there again in June. Since we used to live there, we are both very accustomed to the road. Jan used to get car sick on that road quite often, but no longer. When travelling south, don't look over the edge, but keep your eyes focused on the road horizon in front of you. Take it slow and You'll do fine! I'm not sure if you have reservations at Kirk Creek, but FYI they started doing reservations there and at Plaskett this year. Only certain sites are reservable though. Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks, Mike. My knuckles are already getting a little color into them.
And Michelle? Are you kidding? That would be as unlikely as you getting a donorbikemotorcylceohnevermind. Anyway--Terry doesn't know how to gasp as politely as I do, so it's not an option.
Thanks for your valuable input from real "locals" Steve! I'll do my best to avert my eyes.
We were surprised that res. are now available (and all taken of course) but still plenty of first-come sites, so we'll give it a shot. Plaskett Creek is our fall-back.
Will enjoy and document. (And think about the trip-not-taken, Going to the Sun....Yowza.)
Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Thanks, Mike. My knuckles are already getting a little color into them.
And Michelle? Are you kidding? That would be as unlikely as you getting a donorbikemotorcylceohnevermind. Anyway--Terry doesn't know how to gasp as politely as I do, so it's not an option.
Oh come on. You can do it!
You had beter just watch out what you say about my bike! I just may show up one day sans the trailer! I haven't figured out how to get Sarah to ride yet.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I'm not sure if you have reservations at Kirk Creek, but FYI they started doing reservations there and at Plaskett this year. Only certain sites are reservable though.
Steve, I wasn't aware of that - thanks for the info.

Janet, I too have had my 25' up to Plaskett a couple of times with no issues whatsoever. You'll be fine.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Quote:
so how am I going to be peering off into the wild blue in a big truck with a biiig trailer in tow?...

Many thanks,
I'm sure you'll be fine, I have done that road a couple of times on my way from the Bay area to Long beach with the Overlander and I think even the Sovereign. I did not know what to expect ( possibly a good thing ), and a few people tried to discourage me taking a trailer that way ( SOMETIMES, ignorance is bliss ) but I had no problems. I remember a few tighter spots, but common sense and responsible driving will get you there, and don't be afraid to take a break and stretch your legs. I would'nt worry about the gasping, just say it is the scenery taking your breath away.
Petethefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Just came back

Janet,

My wife and I just drove back from Cambria on 1. Granted, it was hillside, not cliffside so my wife was not THAT concerned. The traffic runs pretty slow even for cars so speed shouldn't be an issue. Your drive isn't as twisty as it can be further down the road. We even stopped and had lunch on the cliff side of the road with some pretty spectacular scenery.

All the best
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Great road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Janet,

Piece of cake with your 25-footer. None of the curves are very tight. Just take your time. No hurry. Enjoy the journey.
Janet,

I am with Mike on this one, we have done it many times, and with your rig set up to perfection (equalizer 1200# envy) you will have no problem. In fact, I enjoy the coast route, it really shows off how well an Airstream travels down the road.

time
Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Janet, you guys will be fine. Enjoy the drive and the views along the way. Traffic will be light due to fuel prices, so don't be surprised if you find yourself behind even slower traffic than yourselves
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Janet,

I know of what you speak. Having been the primary driver/tower in the family for 37 years and then suddenly being forced into the passenger seat with Donna taking the wheel - of the 50 year old TV moved me from a quiet, confident road jockey to a gasper. My gasping, using brakes that don't exist on the passenger side, taking deep breaths, covering my eyes, jokingly getting out and kissing the ground when we pulled into rest stops, and frequently offering my sage driving advice were all very hard for her to handle.

She came up with a novel way to deal with it.

DUCT TAPE!!!!!

It can be effectively applied to gasping, snorting, dash grabbing, sage advice offering passengers in liberal quantities. It can cover eyes, nose, mouth (make sure there's sufficient breathing ability - well, depending on your mood I guess but the tape leaves marks the coroner will be able to see), and can be used effectively to keep hands at ones side, legs together, and then all held tightly to the seat.

Removal is even a fun event for the driver and helps them relieve the stress of doing the drive alone with a duct taped mummy in the passenger seat. Other drivers nod knowingly, and other former gaspers (we are members of the Gaspers Anonymous - meetings every Wednesday at noon) also nod with understanding and a certain level of sympathy depending on how down the path to healing they are themselves.

Distraction is one other thing that helps. Give the passenger a stereo to fiddle with, a GPS, a camera, something that needs to be repaired (e.g. the watch strap that got unhooked when the duct tape was applied a bit too tightly the previous trip) and there is always the ultimate gasp eliminator - sleep. Even pretend sleep - at least you legitimately have your eyes closed.

Embrace the fear. It makes the heart race the way it did with ones first kiss - well, maybe for a guy at least. Sing, wave at folks coming the other way, count the cars and try to identify what make they are and how many passengers are in them. Type forums responses on a laptop. Catch up on Forums news.

And let us know how it goes.

Life IS GOOD!

Barry
Old 05-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
OK, it's a go!

All these trusted opinions have been reassurance enough to pull her out and load her up! (But I'm definitely hiding the duct tape.)
Heading out in the AM in what promises to be gorgeous weather.
Thanks for all the input--it was exactly what I was hoping for. What a great forum!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
We were surprised that res. are now available (and all taken of course) but still plenty of first-come sites, so we'll give it a shot. Plaskett Creek is our fall-back.
Will enjoy and document. (And think about the trip-not-taken, Going to the Sun....Yowza.)
You should be fine 1st come 1st serve if you get there tomorrow. FYI...Plaskett was completely full for last weekend by Friday night. Have fun! It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend!

Here's a couple photos from last weekend. The first is Plaskett campground and the second is the view from atop Plaskett Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plaskett_20080510_2341.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	60450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plaskett_20080511_2356.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	60451  

Old 05-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
Just back from a beautiful trip to Kirk Creek Campground. We took a chance that we would even find a campsite, hoping to find at least something somewhere, and we actually ended up with one of the nicest sites we have ever been in. The drive was easy, with no gasping, etc. from passengers
(janetb) Duct tape really works! The road south of Big Sur is a little narrower
than the road to the North, but we had very little traffic .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kirk Creek #6.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	60634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pt. Sur.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	60635  

Name:	Kirk Creek #1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	60636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kirk Creek #7.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	60637  

Name:	Kirk Creek #2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	60638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kirk Creek #5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	60639  

Rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks for talking me down.

Not only was the duct tape unnecessary, I didn't even feel like gasping. You were right, oh experienced travelers. Most of the curves are fairly wide and well-banked, and I just averted my eyes when passing the sheer drops (wildflowers on the uphill helped a lot.)
Steve, we took a drive down to Plaskett Fri. AM and it was full. If we'd waited any longer to leave for Kirk Creek (arrived around noon on Thurs.) it would have been full too. Wonderful spot and truly a world-class drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Terry and tripod.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	60640   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	60641  

Name:	pano sunset.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	60642   Click image for larger version

Name:	coastline.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	60643  

Name:	cliff at campsite.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	60644  
Old 05-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Glad to hear everything worked out for your trip! Thank you for posting such beautiful photos. Terry has such a gift for capturing the essence of the adventure! Dontcha just love Big Sur?