Old 01-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
All - We had a WONDERFUL time there in mid-October this year. We DID stay at the Maverick Ranch RV Park, and were treated like royalty. Enjoyed the ease of travel to and from Big Bend, and the associated nice pool and restaurant, as well as a round of five stand. BB is a lifetime destination, particularly when combined with an overnight at Ft. Davis and the McDonald Observatory campus. Go For It.

Maverick Ranch RV Park at Lajitas Golf Resort

Greg and Linda Heuer
'99 Excella 30 w/HAHA - The Silver Otter
'08 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Originally Posted by clocke View Post
Hey there. See you have a 2014 Flying Cloud. I just bought a new 2015 27FB on Saturday at Vogt in Fort Worth this past weekend. I live in Dallas, so we are practically neighbors. I am interested to see how you like your Flying Cloud? I am interested int a trip to BB as well, but most likely will have to wait for some vacation time later in the Spring. I am interested in a shorter ( I know - long way ) trip to Marfa to see the stars at nigh in West Texas.
@Clocke: Welcome aboard! We are neighbors. We love our FC and were a little chagrined when the new models came out with ducted air right after we left for a 7 week trip in ours. She has actually been at Vogt getting a second set of awnings and some warranty work done. She is winterized and we can't wait to take her out again in late February for a rally and this trip to BB. You will love yours, too. We have met the nicest people along the way. Each time you use it you love it just a little bit more. Enjoy! Now...back to trip planning.

silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Big Bend?

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I have been working on it today and i think we put together a rough plan that is a compilation of all of the great suggestions we received. Most important piece of advice so far? Provisions! I have NO idea why I didn't think of that one!!! Please keep the great ideas flowing.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
With respect to fuel, is diesel available in the park? If not, how close to the park?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
We stayed at the Marathon motel and RV park Cannonball spoke about. Loved it. We were there Jan. 6-9 2015. The courtyard has a lovely fireplace with wood fire for guests to visit around in the evening. Also ate at the Gage Hotel in the bar. This place is amazing--read about it. Originally we had planned to stay in BB but ice storm took out all electricity for 5 days in the whole area and our batteries were not staying charged up so boondocking was out and we ended up in Marathon. Loved the town of Alpine too. Drove into BB 1 hour for day trips. There are a few camp sites in BB that are listed primitive but would work for up to a 28' airstream and we checked them out. They are down short gravel roads passable and very private. No reservations on them though. You have to go into park and see if one is available and ranger will tell you what ones are easy access and open. Also the McDonald Observatory near Alpine is worth a visit. The main scope opens one day a month ($40 pp) and other two telescopes a couple days a week are either free or inexpensive. Check online. There is a campground near there you could stay at, think it is a state or regional park near observatory, and then drive to Marathon the next day after the star show. There is gas available in BB except for when we were there because pimps couldn't pump with no electricity. Loved the park and warmed up daytime for hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Things to do on the Way to and From BBNP

Junction, TX off Interstate 10: Stop at Coopers Barbecue for lunch

Ft Davis, TX - Tour Ft Davis, Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center
McDonald Observatory: Visitor Center, Star watch party and telescope tours

Alpine, Texas: Reata Restaurant - Chicken Fried Steak, Sul Ross University, Museum of the Big bend. Good place to shop for groceries and stuff. Lost Alaskan RV park

Marfa,TX: Marfa Lights, Chinati Hot Springs, Chinati Foundation, Prada Marfa

Terlingua, TX: Big bend RV resort (like camping in a gravel pit with full hookups), Starlight Bar and Grill, Graveyard on the way to the Starlight, Rio Bravo Restaurant

Gage, TX: The Gage Hotel 12 Gage Restaurant and White Buffalo Bar

Fredericksburg, TX: Museum of the Pacific War, German Food

Johnson City, TX: LBJ Ranch, Wineries, Wildflower farm
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:48 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member
Went in May of 2014. Temp at noon one day was 103. Our ac in a 25 flying cloud fb couldn't keep it under 85 in the AS. Hot enough that as soon as we got back to austin We had a second ac installed.

We stayed at Lajitas resort campground. It was clean and well kept. Keep in mind that you are in the middle of NOWHERE. Lajitas resort is a nice place. They have a nice golf course.

There is good hiking nearby. As mentioned by others try to have everything you need. There are a couple of small stores in the area. They also have diesel fuel.

The parks are vast and desolate. Miles and miles of dessert. We were glad that we made the 600 mile trip but did not find the effort worthy of making the trip again.

The roads are good, never get below 1/4 tank of gas.

My $0.02.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Hiway Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I've been down there three times, all in Feb. I love it down there. Rustic, and beautiful. We always camp at the CG there in Terlingua. I see the "Cave restaurant has been mentioned, as well as the Starlight restaurant. Both are near Terlingua and great places. There is a CG at the top of the mountain. It's really neat, and worth the drive up there, but with the switchback roads going up, I'm not sure you could get a 19' Bambi up there.
We've been snowed on in Feb, and had 90 degree days, so be prepared for anything.
It's a little disconcerting at first to see all the border patrol trucks around there, but after a while you don't notice them. I was glad they were around.
We like off road riding, and there are some great gravel roads to take down there. The Old Ore road, for one. If you have time, I'd go over to the State Park also. Gravel roads that are fun down there also. I've had lunch every time at the bunk house in the state park, neat place, but you have to make sure it's open. (And they are serving.)
I got a sticker from the State Park store that says "Big Bend Texas, the other side of nowhere." Sums it up pretty well.
It's a beautiful area, I will definitely be back there.
Have fun.
This was taken on one of the cold, snow days. It was warm by 2:00..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:41 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Diesel is available in the park but only at the service station just west of the Panther Junction visitor center. That is about 25 miles from Rio Grande Village CG. Diesel is also available near the west entrance of the park which is about 40 miles from the visitor center. Terlingua, Lajitas and Study Butte are in that area and have fuel available. They are on the road from BBNP to Big Bend Ranch State Park. For those that don't remember or never knew, Terlingua was for years the site of the World Championship Chili Cookoff. Five to seven thousand hearty ( and usually drunk) souls would be there each year. Hondo Crouch of Luckenbach fame would be there camped along with all the others in the ruins of Terlingua and its mining heritage. A fun time was had by all, or most. You had to watch out for the open mine shafts!
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
If you were approaching BB from the East (say Mobile or New Orleans) what would make you "must see" list of scenic natural attractions in the February time frame? Dream itinerary? Thanks for your thoughts.

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. Http://
TAC AL-26 WBCCI 2626

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
There is an article about Big Bend in the Feb 2015 issue of TEXAS HIGHWAYS
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
The "office" for the Tumble In campground in Marfa. Highly recommend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6694.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	230796  
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
Off the Grid.

We've been there a couple times, the most recent being between Christmas and New Years of this year. Big Bend is the winter gem of the NPS. We stay at the Big Bend Resort at Terlingua. Access to the Park is easy and I like full hook-ups. They have gas and diesel. Never let the tank get below 1/2. Stop in Alpine for groceries. There are some limited groceries in Terlingua, but better in Alpine. Good beer from Big Bend Brewing Co. can be purchased at Porter's Thriftway right on the way. Frontera IPA and Terlingua Gold are our favorites. Terlingua is a trip in itself. Home of hippies neer-do-wells off duty Rangers and people with a past. Definately buy a beer in the store and watch the sunset on the Chisos Mts.from the "Porch". Improptu concerts and sing alongs too.
Lots of good suggestions have been already mentioned. Ask a Ranger. They know lots. Don't forget to check out the hot springs. If you plan to wade across the river to Boquillas, don't forget to bring your passport. Get out of your truck and take a hike. You will be back!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0543.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	231110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	231114  

Name:	10917379_897111640328675_2701424203253001072_n.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	231115   Click image for larger version

Name:	10926445_897115213661651_4497840272971637129_n.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	231116  

gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:04 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member
Heartland , lower 48
Load up on groceries before you head down to the park.

DITTO- You will spend a small fortune on local supplies.
Plenty of fresh water, and of course empty black and grey.

It is a beautiful park, however dont underestimate the drive time!!
If you intend on going across the boarder, make sure to have your passports, and nost of all HAVE FUN!-
It is a remarkable area, Fall, Winter, and many others have mentioned- Summers are to be avoided due to VERY high Temps!!
Safe Travels!!

kq3737 is offline   Reply With Quote