Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I have been intrigued by this vacuum:

https://www.metrovacworld.com/The_Pr...itan_Hand_Vacs

I have no idea if it is a good vac but it sure looks good!

Made in USA!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
I second the Dyson V6...so much so that I have purchased 4 of these this year-two as gifts to both parents (easier for them to maneuver as they get older), one to have in home and one for the Airstream. The performance is truly amazing, the design easily storable in the Airstream and saves the back. The sticker shock becomes a little less when you can get them on the 25% off sale (right now) and then add on an additional 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
No More Sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Last night we bought a Shark cordless:
Shark® Products - Shark® Navigator? Freestyle - SV1106 | Official Site

It needs 120VAC to recharge, but only takes 50 watts. I have a small 150 watt inverter which I will use when we don't have shore power. It has two speeds high for carpet, low for hard floors. The brush spins all the time. We tried it out and I'm impressed with its cleaning capability. $99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Net with a 20% off coupon, around $80.

Al
After search diligently for a good, small, reliable vac for the AS, we found a Shark (110v model). It works great, but thats where it ends. Shark stopped making the cone filter after a couple years. So now we have a vac that we can't use due to not being supported by the company. I searched the internet, stopped at copious hardware stores, and vacuum sales stores trying find just 1 filter with no luck. Even went to far as purchasing a filter made for a lawnmower that was close in size to modify, but that didn't work so well. So beware when buying any product that requires disposable replacement parts.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We really like our Dyson Animal.

We've used it two years now in extended travel in our Class B, and the plan is to continue using it in our AS.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:54 AM   #25
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Thank you for all the great advice. We bought a bare bones Dyson V6 and will give it a shot over the holidays. On the road to AZ tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a Black & Decekr rechargeable hand vac in the Interstate as well as one in the house.....great for cleaning up around the woodstove and Lily's entrance and eating areas.

They hold a charge well and do a great job.

Very important, IMO, to have a vac with a retractable wand or attachment, as there are lots of crevices and small spaces in our rigs that nothing else but a wand will effectively clean.

The B&D's hsve a retractable wand built in to the cleaner head. Perfect.

Maggie
Old 12-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
We used to have a Black and Decker 12v vacuum and it worked ok. The biggest drawback was that to use it we had to crawl on our knees. Not fun.

I kept my eye out for deals on the Dyson rechargeables and found some great deals on factory refurbs on Amazon. These are amazing vacuums. So powerful, lightweight and easy to use we bought another one for the house to replace a standard upright vacuum. The canister is small, and the battery lasts for about 20 minutes, but for us that is more than enough even for home.

The biggest challenge is remembering to plug it in to charge whenever we have shore power. There must be a way to convert this to charge on 12v but I have not looked into it.

Perhaps someone here has done a conversion on one of these to 12v and can share how they did it.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
There must be a way to convert this to charge on 12v but I have not looked into it.

Perhaps someone here has done a conversion on one of these to 12v and can share how they did it.

-J
You would have to buy an inverter with enough capacity to charge the vacuum. Compare watts. I would think a vacuum would drain the coach batteries more than you'd like, but checking the watts will tell you more.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
You would have to buy an inverter with enough capacity to charge the vacuum. Compare watts. I would think a vacuum would drain the coach batteries more than you'd like, but checking the watts will tell you more.

Gene

Of course I could use my inverter, but that would be very inefficient since the vacuum wall wart converts the AC into DC anyways. I was wondering about a direct DC to DC adaptation.

jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Of course I could use my inverter, but that would be very inefficient since the vacuum wall wart converts the AC into DC anyways. I was wondering about a direct DC to DC adaptation.

If the vacuum runs on DC internally, you would have to find a work around like a direct connection to the vacuum innards from the coach batteries through a 12 v. receptacle. Perhaps showing my ignorance, doesn't the vacuum motor run on AC requiring an internal converter from the vacuum batteries to the motor? I assume (another possible stroke of ignorance) the other parts of the vacuum run on DC. I may have gotten totally confused by converters and inverters compounding inefficiency as power is changed back and forth from AC to DC to AC, ad infinitum, until nothing is left but heat. I think I'd better get a broom.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #31
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have hardwood... And need new vacuum... Thinking of iRobot... But would not do well in 34' I think...

Love our Dyson upright at home.... Been resisting the urge to get for AS... I am grateful they don't offer an aluminum shell one..... Aren't you??��
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote