Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Best SUV to pull my big 30 foot Airstream with?

Hi guys,

I have a big 7000 pounds boy 30 foot Airstream 2010 to pull down Mexico and I was looking for a Diesel car or a car that have a lot of torque to pull my trailer 5000km south from Canada Vancouver.

Any idea of what's the best car to pull my trailer safely down there and that is not going to cost me a fortune on gaz?

Thanks for reading!

Mel
Melimelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The only Diesel SUV that I know of is the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I believe it comes with an optional Diesel V6, but don't know how well it will tow your 30 footer.

I tow our 31' (really the same trailer with a slightly different floor plan) with a 2500 Ram Diesel pickup, and it does a great job, but it's not an SUV.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The diesel Mercedes ML and GL can have the same V6 engine. In Canada, you might be able to get the V8 diesel in the GL. Both are only made in Alabama for the world market.

I towed my 2013 25FB International Serenity home from the Los Angeles dealer with my 2007 ML 320 CDI with no issues through the mountains, other than getting a nail in the right rear tire at a rest stop.....

But it was slightly overloaded on the front axle and GVW when the trailer was loaded with gear and full fresh water tanks and my wife was in the car.

The newer models have a greater towing capacity and hitch rating.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We tow a 30' Flying Cloud with an F250 Diesel - could not ask for more in a tow vehicle. We looked for SUVs but found nothing we liked or that we thought could handle the load - our trailer GVW if well over 7,000#
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We tow a 30' Flying Cloud with an F250 Diesel - could not ask for more in a tow vehicle. We looked for SUVs but found nothing we liked or that we thought could handle the load - our trailer GVW if well over 7,000#
I'd almost bet loaded for travel you are pushing 8,500#'s because we are.

There are probably lots of SUV's that will pull a 30 footer, but not the way I want to pull it carrying the stuff that we carry. Our Cummins equipped Ram 2500 does a wonderful job and the weight in a non-issue.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I am not sure there are any Diesel SUVs allowing you to safely tow a newer 30 ft Airstream (at least not in the US).

Benz GL Bluetec has 7500# towing capacity, but you will exceed its tongue weight limit.
VW Touareg has 7700# tow rating, but has too short a wheelbase for a 30 ft Airstream. It also does not have much of a payload capacity.
Audi Q7 is rated for 6600#.
Porsche Cayanne is rated for 7716#, but has a rather short wheelbase, low tongue weight limit, and not much of a payload.

In Canada you may have Land Cruiser Diesel (we, unfortunately, do not have this great vehicle in the US, only the gasser). Its rated at 8200#, has ample tongue weight limit and payload, but has a shorter wheelbase -- this last issue can probably be mitigated by top of the line hitch.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Apart from the power/torque of a diesel, The longer wheelbase of a truck compared to an SUV is something to think about - makes for a more relaxed towing experience.

Before we bought trucks (our last two tow vehicles) I considered an SUV, because whatever vehicle se selected was going to be our daily driver.

When I really thought about it, in our case a crew cab pickup was a better choice. You have lots of space in the cab, four full doors, creature comforts are pretty good in today's trucks, and all the "junk" - tools, generator, ladder, gasoline, lawn chairs, and God knows whatever else whatever get locked in the truck bed (with Leer cap) out of the way. The cab stays tidy and we keep big rubbermaid boxes with boots shoes and other stuff in the back of the truck to declutter the trailer on longer trips.

The only slight disadvantage is a little more difficulty sometimes in parking - it hasn't turned out to be a big deal for us.

Relatives and neighbours appreciate us having the truck too when they have something large to move - and I'm fine with that!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It's probably no secret that I don't like trucks much, but I would not take an expensive SUV into Mexico. That's bound to attract all kinds of unwelcome attention, not least from the law - such as can be, in places.

I'd get a used truck in good condition.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
How about a Ford Excursion? You can't buy a new one, but I was looking at them a couple months back, and it wasn't too hard to find used ones with less than 50k miles on them, and the price was a steal compared to any of the midsized diesel SUVs available new today. Oh, and you will need something with more towing capacity than any of those new midsized diesel suvs available today too.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
It's probably no secret that I don't like trucks much, but I would not take an expensive SUV into Mexico. That's bound to attract all kinds of unwelcome attention, not least from the law - such as can be, in places.

I'd get a used truck in good condition.
I wouldn't go to Mexico to start with. The stories we hear would chill your blood...
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
If you are set on going to Mexico with a diesel then you need to know that Pemex does not provide ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) fuel, which is required by most diesel vehicles 2009 and later.

Running the diesel fuel available in Mexico may clog the diesel particulate filter and will definitely invalidate warranty coverage for fuel-related problems you may encounter.

As to the question of pulling a 30-foot Airstream with a Mercedes ... well, I wouldn't know anything about that. It's probably impossible.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
The two I would consider: Suburban XL 2500 or Yukon XL 2500.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I wouldn't go to Mexico to start with. The stories we hear would chill your blood...
Definitely agree with this. I'd negotiate with the seller to meet with the trailer at the border. No way would I go into Mexico, for any reason.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Talked to Chevy dealer last week about the 2015 Suburbans. There are going to be some great changes. Especially to horsepower and towing capabilities. Rumor is hot that the 2015 Suburbans will be offered with a diesel! Can't wait!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I think it depends on where you live. I know a family who live on a boat on the coast, with no problems so far. It's a quiet life, if anything. But I also know that they are careful never to display any obvious wealth - they take the bus, rather than a car, that sort of thing.

I don't think I'd take a big, shiny trailer down there. Airstreams just attract too much attention.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I think it depends on where you live. I know a family who live on a boat on the coast, with no problems so far. It's a quiet life, if anything. But I also know that they are careful never to display any obvious wealth - they take the bus, rather than a car, that sort of thing.

I don't think I'd take a big, shiny trailer down there. Airstreams just attract too much attention.
Actually, you are correct. THE MOST dangerous area in Mexico is near the border. Problem is, you can't drive down into Mexico without going across/ thru the border.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Definitely agree with this. I'd negotiate with the seller to meet with the trailer at the border. No way would I go into Mexico, for any reason.
We have 15 year employee who owns 2 sections of farmland there. He told me last time he was here that the cartels intercept all cell calls. They know when he comes to work for us and goes back.
WBCCI #8578
Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:

That is true, but you still have to cross the border area. Since we live in Texas, and have a green card employee (for the last 15 years) from there he tells us what is really happening there. Lots of things happen to Americans who cross over that is not reported in the media. It's not like Canada where you can cross over and all you have to worry about is the extreme price increase, the green fuel cover is not diesel, simple things... It's the absolute lawlessness. Cell calls are intercepted by the cartels. There are some media reports on this. They (cartels) have setup cell towers south of the border. He is very afraid of leaving his family alone when he comes to work. Not trying to scare anyone, but I would not go there. If I had to, I'd meet the person at the border. If I had to cross over would never bring a new vehicle. Would leave it north of the border in a secure spot 100 miles north.
WBCCI #8578
Old 10-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Hi Every body,

Thanks for the feadback, in fact i have put my trailer on a scale and it was 7000 pounds, empty it's 6500. and the car and driving now with is a Touareg TDI V6 wich have 404 foot torque, it's awesome for pulling I love it! I wish I could keep it but I can't because I can't afford it anymore. I am actually trying to get and older one or a TDI V10 but they are not easy to find so that's the reason why I wanted to check on my other option. ANd I did look at all the cars you are suggesting and still wondering if, as I lady I want to own a huge gas pickup or truck that would cost me a fortune on gax for 4500 km. :-/

For the Mexico part, no one should worried, I'm going down the Baja peninsula not the other side of Mexico... and of course I'm not by myself, 3 or 4 of us are going to follow each other and drive during the day not night as the road are very tight and could be dangerous as it's very dark no light and sometimes animals crossing etc...

Thousands of people are going down there from America and it's been pretty safe most of the time. There is some check point but they are mostly looking for the bad people who would come with weapons and things like that.

Anyway, the subject here is trailers and cars so I shouldn't be talking longuer about where I'm going...

Just hoping I find a good car soon!
Melimelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
For Sale: 07 V10 Black/Teak w/22" Champion wheels - Club Touareg Forums

If you find a Touareg V10, you want to get an extended warranty, but doubt they are any good south of the US border.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote