Old 04-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
25 vs 27 (or 28)

We thought we were sold on getting a 25 until we went to the local AS dealership & got inside a 25 & then a 27. We found several features of the 27 that convinced us to get "the extra two feet," primarily the north/south bed in the 27 vs the east/west bed in the 25 & secondarily the extra width of the hanging locker & the vertical kitchen cabinet.

While the 25 is a great trailer, please take a look at the 27 (as well as the 28, which many like because of its dinette) & ask yourself if the extra features of either of the latter two are worth the several thousand $$$ in increased price. So far, we haven't been burdened by the extra 2 ft in length & 600 lb in weight, for example, in finding camping sites.

Alta & Richard, Seattle area --- WBCCI 8877
"Aurum": 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel
"Argentum": 2016 AS FC 27 FB
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"Megan" (aka "LittleDog"): F Shih Tzu, 15 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2014 23' International
Keene , Ontario
Because you will be covering a lot of territory we recommend a smaller trailer for ease of towing and economy. We have toured across Canada and the US pulling a 23 foot. It is much easier to manoevre and a lot cheaper on gas.
It is amazing how little stuff you actually need and how much more time you spend outdoors enjoying things.

TheGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
We have spent a total of about 10 months in Mexico and 40,000 km all the way south to Belize and along both coasts.

We saw big rigs - Prevosts and the like - and campers and they all managed to get where they wanted to be in the campgrounds available in one way or another.

HOWEVER! The stress, dings, swearing and unhappiness of those piloting big rigs was evident. State Provincial and Mexican campgrounds were not designed for big rigs; Mexican highway are 8 'wide - not 9' as in US and Canada; there are no shoulders so you are meeting an overloaded truck head on at a combined speed of 200 Kph with 2-4 inches clearance between vehicles. That's a rush! Big rig makes the tolerances even less.

The cities are crowded, the roads and traffic very "interesting" and can be equally stressful. Manouvering can be very tricky.

In a nut shell, you can do it all in a big rig, but to me, its not worth the aggravation, frustration stress and difficulties if not dangers involved. Those of us with small rigs eg 23' don't have those maneuverability issues.

Good luck!
"All that is mine, I carry with me." Cicero
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I have a 31' and I have not fit into exactly one campground over the past 10 years (we half-time, so roughly 1800 nights...).
If you are concerned, make reservations or use Google Earth to look at a prospective campground. I really enjoy the extra elbow room and storage of my rig.

We have a 30' International, been all over the parks cited above and yet to have to pass one up because we were too big. We have 2 dogs and like the extra room. We upgraded from a 28' unit, which really is only 27' long where as the 30' is a true 30'. Pull it with an F-150 Eco Boost short bed.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
I love these "Best" topics.

Mine is best. Nuh-uh, mine is!
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1996 25' Excella
Port Stanley , Ontario
My wife and I and our 60# Lab have traveled over 60 km mostly in the southeast and southwest US and parts of Ontario and the Maritimes the past two years in our 25' with no issues whatsoever. While 34's can be accommodated at many parks the choice of sites does become limited and having to make a U turn or back up will be very stressful.
Long term stays with a 34' would be great. Touring the whole country in a 25' would be more practical.
Aprilrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
We pull a 25 and have stayed at many state parks. There has been a couple times when I think if it were any longer it may not have fit. Also for the money you pay for the extra 2 feet I don't see much of a gain in terms of room/extras
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
It's true that a 2nd RV can let you choose the RV that's best for the trip.
Over 20 years, I have accumulated 3. My 34' all aluminum trailer is on a leased site @ a mtn. lake. It may not move until Oct. I'm in a tight C G on Gulf coast in 26' trailer.
In 2012, used Coach House type B to tow aluminium trailer all over SW, + NM mtns, CO, WY, & Glacier NP. This may be what led to purchase of the 26'. Anyway, I'm glad we got it now.

BTW, I may have gotten "good deals" for cash. Dealers seemed very glad when I hooked up & towed off their lots. ☺
Wolf Alaska
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #23
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Some Parks - especially Redwoods have substantial size restriction. These older parks were designed for car camping and site are often small and access to the sites is less than optimal. In some of the tighter Red Woods and Yellowstone parks I would not want a rig longer than 23 feet.

Camping a few years ago at Elk Prairie (which has restrictions) I watched a couple in a white box actually get wedged between two trees in the park loop road. They had no choice but to keep moving forward, clipping off the protruding rear corners of their rig essentially pulling off the back end of their rv. Cutting down the redwoods to widen the roads seemed like bad option.

You might give this a read to help make a selection:
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Tupper Lake , New York
National & State Park site sizes

Your best source (in my opinion & 13 yrs of cross country of travel) is for national, forests. monuments, as well as parks. For state parks, look up state campground listings under any state. Both traditionally have camp site maps w/ the size of the sites. From 8/13 to 10/14, we used these sites as often as we could & especially as some state campgrounds can be pricey. Safe travels
Diesel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
No problems with 28 foot.

We've logged over 25,000 miles in the past two years with many more planned. We have a 28 foot and have never had a problem. Going to five or six National Parks this year. Have been to many state, national and others and enjoy our Airstream.
DavidIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
The longer the trailer the more planning. When we reserve a site I try to use for any photo, and Google satellite to get an idea of the size of the spots. We thought at a 20ft then a 23ft and finally decided 25 was the best compromise in size and budget even buying preowned. However, we were coming from a Casita 17' fiberglass trailer so even that seemed humongous at the time.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Another owner of a Classic 30 (actually 31 ft long - same as a Classic 31

Wasn't thrilled at buying this length as our previous non AS trailer was 27 and we liked it, but had to move up to 31 if we wanted an Airstream to get our chosen interior layout.

We camp probably 60% commercial, 40% state/federal/county/provincial parks and after 78 years with the new trailer have not been at a non-commercial park that we could not get the trailer into.

Having said that, most have been in the eastern half of the continent, US and Canada. I have heard that some of the western ones may not have as many larger sites.

Not sure - we have stopped at a few in the west and been fine.

Although we are not large people, my wife enjoys the space of our present trailer and would now be reluctant to move to a smaller one. I could accept a smaller one but I will say I like the space also!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Our goal is see all the National Parks in the next 2 to 3 yrs, the only problem we saw in NP was that the longer trailers did not get the best spots as we did in our 25'. You will not have a problem getting in if you plan way ahead and know which spot will work for you.

I have seen them re-sign longer trailers once they check in, and look at your rig.

The 27' are nice, but the cost does not justify it.

David & Nancy Ames
WBCCI # 9403 -- AIR # 95597
2015 FC 25' RB
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote