Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Cary , North Carolina
Best sequence to tour Canadian Rockies

We are planning a trip with our 27fb Airstream to tour the fantastic Canadian Rockies including Banff and Jasper NPs in June 2020. The idea is to camp in a few places along 93 and explore nearby areas. We plan to cross the border on 97 at Osoyoos but when we reach Peachland, BC we need to decide which way to go to accommodate the sequence of touring the area and end up returning to St Mary MT to tour Glacier NP in the USA.

I think we have 3 options and I am looking for feedback from you experienced travelers that have been there. Best driving, best scenic areas to see along the way, most efficient use of our time, etc. Any feedback on these options would be greatly appreciated:

1. Banff first, then tour going NW end up at Jasper. Then long way back to St Mary, MT
(97A to 1 thru Revelstoke to 93 at Lake Louise then 65km to Banff)

2. Jasper first, then tour going SE end up at Banff. Then much shorter way back to St Mary, MT
(97A to 1 thru Revelstoke to 93 at Lake Louise then 232km to Jasper)

3. Jasper first, then tour going SE end up at Banff, but drive to Jasper a different way to avoid backtracking on 93
(97C to 5 thru Kamloops, follow Yellowhead Parkway to 16 to Jasper)

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
silvereagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
We know the area; live in Vancouver, are in Penticton every few months, and drive to Calgary regularly via Banff.

If you are crossing at Osoyoos, you will be in the Okanagan, and it is worth seeing it. Check out some wineries. That would lead me up to Vernon on 97. Recommend you don't take 97C, the Coquihalla Connector. It is a good road to make time on, not so much for sightseeing.

From Vernon, if you want to do Kamloops/Blue River/the Yellowhead, it is nice. Less busy than the National Park roads. Quite a bit of empty space after Kamloops. Road is fine.

If you want to head for Banff first, take 97A to Sicamous, then Hwy 1 to Lake Louise. Do a trip up to Jasper, and then back the same way. Maybe stay in two different spots near Banff, eg Lake Louise and Banff (Tunnel Mountain).

If you are heading for Hwy 2 south to Montana, consider Hwy 40 from Kananaskis. Very scenic. You can then connect to Hwy 2 south, but consider Hwy 22, it is nice, right in the foothills. We prefer it over Hwy 2. That can get you to St Mary.

An alternative way back from Banff/Lake Louise is to take Hwy 93 south from Castle Junction to Radium; it is worth a stop at the hot springs, and camping at Red Streak in Radium. Then 93 south to Eureka Montana.

Lots to see on all these routes, but we would choose not to go through Blue River, and to go south on 93 through Radium.

Enjoy the planning, and the trip!

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are starting in North Carolina, there is a lot of territory to cover before you get to the Canadian parks. Before this gets really crazy - how much time do you have? how is that split between the "getting there" and "being there" parts of the trip?

A very common "do the rockies" approach is to start in Rock Mountain NP and just string them together right up through Jasper.

One thing that often gets missed in the whole Banff / Jasper thing is Yoho. It also is a nice park to visit .... ( = this could take years and years ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Thank you so much - just what I was looking for. Looks like my option 1 would be the best option.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are starting in North Carolina, there is a lot of territory to cover before you get to the Canadian parks. Before this gets really crazy - how much time do you have? how is that split between the "getting there" and "being there" parts of the trip?

A very common "do the rockies" approach is to start in Rock Mountain NP and just string them together right up through Jasper.

One thing that often gets missed in the whole Banff / Jasper thing is Yoho. It also is a nice park to visit .... ( = this could take years and years ....)

Bob

Yeah we are leaving NC in late May and plan to follow the Oregon Trail to The Oregon Coast, and then work our way around Washington to end up in Montana route 93. I am still laying out our timeline and potential sights and campgrounds along the way...
Old 10-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle2 View Post
Yeah we are leaving NC in late May and plan to follow the Oregon Trail to The Oregon Coast, and then work our way around Washington to end up in Montana route 93. I am still laying out our timeline and potential sights and campgrounds along the way...
Hi

Ok, more or less, that's sort of / kind of I-80 for the trip to the coast. The same things that made it popular pulling a wagon also make it a reasonable tow with an RV. If you are used to urban east coast traffic, I-80 in Wyoming will not be a big deal

One alternative for the "loop around" is to head back over in Canada. That sort of cuts out Glacier though. You *do* see a lot of BC that way.

So, if you are headed out end of May, how soon do you need to be back? If the answer is "late October" that opens up things a bit

One thing to dig into a bit is the timing of bug season in various areas. Arriving just as a billion mosquitos hatch at your campsite is less than ideal ....

Bob
Old 10-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Hi

Ok, more or less, that's sort of / kind of I-80 for the trip to the coast. The same things that made it popular pulling a wagon also make it a reasonable tow with an RV. If you are used to urban east coast traffic, I-80 in Wyoming will not be a big deal

One alternative for the "loop around" is to head back over in Canada. That sort of cuts out Glacier though. You *do* see a lot of BC that way.

So, if you are headed out end of May, how soon do you need to be back? If the answer is "late October" that opens up things a bit

One thing to dig into a bit is the timing of bug season in various areas. Arriving just as a billion mosquitos hatch at your campsite is less than ideal ....

Bob

We are figuring about 2 months, so we have about 8 weeks so I figure back to NC no later than early August. So where do we need to avoid the bugs across I80,I84, Washington State or Canada? Doing some research looks like there are not many bugs in the higher elevations of the Rockies, or am I misinformed?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
I totally agree with this.

I've been to Banff and Jasper 3 times in the past--this summer was my 4th time to that area. Next year Jasper's largest RV campground will re-open after renovations this year and that should make it a little easier to stay in the park (which I recommend).

But Banff, particularly the area around Lake Louise, is a circus most of the summer and I decided to skip it entirely this year, focusing on Kootenay (6 nights), and Jasper (7 nights) instead. So glad I did. Banff is gorgeous and I think if you're going to do this trip once you should absolutely visit, but you should also know what you're getting into.

Having been to most of the parks in the region, I now think Yoho is the prettiest of the parks, Kootenay the most diverse (from a landscape perspective) and Jasper the most accessible area and enjoyable town. After three trips there, Banff gets the award for most crowded and least enjoyable time, but probably ties in first for prettiest.

I would say that if you could get to the popular Banff destinations early in the morning (easily doable from campgrounds in both Yoho and Kootenay), you can more-or-less have these places to yourself.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle2 View Post
We are figuring about 2 months, so we have about 8 weeks so I figure back to NC no later than early August. So where do we need to avoid the bugs across I80,I84, Washington State or Canada? Doing some research looks like there are not many bugs in the higher elevations of the Rockies, or am I misinformed?
Hi

My (limited) understanding is that "peak bug season" comes early. More or less, as things thaw out the insect population booms. For a lot of the area you are headed to, that puts it in June and July.

Indeed that only counts if you are at an elevation where bugs can survive. The typical "base elevation" of the Rockies drops as you go north. Jasper is at 3,478' and Albuquerque is at 5,352'.

Bob
Old 10-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I totally agree with this.

I've been to Banff and Jasper 3 times in the past--this summer was my 4th time to that area. Next year Jasper's largest RV campground will re-open after renovations this year and that should make it a little easier to stay in the park (which I recommend).

But Banff, particularly the area around Lake Louise, is a circus most of the summer and I decided to skip it entirely this year, focusing on Kootenay (6 nights), and Jasper (7 nights) instead. So glad I did. Banff is gorgeous and I think if you're going to do this trip once you should absolutely visit, but you should also know what you're getting into.

Having been to most of the parks in the region, I now think Yoho is the prettiest of the parks, Kootenay the most diverse (from a landscape perspective) and Jasper the most accessible area and enjoyable town. After three trips there, Banff gets the award for most crowded and least enjoyable time, but probably ties in first for prettiest.

I would say that if you could get to the popular Banff destinations early in the morning (easily doable from campgrounds in both Yoho and Kootenay), you can more-or-less have these places to yourself.

If you look at the Parks Canada website you will see that Whistlers campground will be closed for all of the 2020 season - its a 2 year renovation
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
If you look at the Parks Canada website you will see that Whistlers campground will be closed for all of the 2020 season - its a 2 year renovation

Ah, OK I thought it would be one year.

That said, we stopped by (on our bikes) and also saw the plans for the new campground in the Jasper museum and it looks like it will be great. It’ll be a little “open air” for a while—much of the work had to do with clearing trees that had died due to pine bark beetle. But they are planting a greater variety of trees in locations that won’t interfere with campground/campsite operations.

They had a picture at the museum of an Airstream rally at Whistlers from a long time ago. I’ll see if I can find it and post it.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Found it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	353614
Old 10-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I very much agree that Yoho is worth the visit. One odd thing we noticed when we were last camping there is that it seems to be a bit wetter than the other parks. Everything is within miles of each other so that surprised us. Apparently the "up side" and "down side" of the mountains is to blame.

Bob
Old 10-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

cocrane , Alabama
Hello from Calgary.

You'll have a fantastic time in the rockies where ever you go. Someone mentioned busy in Banff..Yes can be but worth the visit. We travel the hour to Banff throughout the summer..Stay at tunnel mountain campsites which has tons of rv camp sites and has a bus which will run you into town for I think $2 or about 10cents US these days (only kidding, maybe $1.50US). That way you don't have to think of parking..Get off the bus, walk downtown and then bus home..Buses even take you to the Banff hot springs which are very nice. Sulphur mountain gondola is a must. Also, if you staying in Banff area, consider a couple of days in Lake Louise. Amazing area, if you're somewhat in shape, hike the trail to the tea hut.

***Remember to book well in advance for both Banff and Lake Louise..I think it starts sometime in Jan 2020***

Also from Lake Louise, it's a quick 40 min drive into Field BC area. Of particular google Takaka falls..Highest falls in Canada I believe.

Jasper is also very nice. But I don't like it as much as Banff. Kelowna is beautiful and if you are biking or are walking folks, the Kettle Valley Railway is a must..Google KVR.

Please feel free to drop me an email should yo have any other questions I can answer agg at shaw dot ca

Lastly if your all the way up here, consider the Calgary Stampede..Usually the beginning of July for 12 days..Lots of activities for those 12 days..many many free pancake breakfasts. Download Calgary stampede breakfast app for locations and times.

Last, lastly - also consider Watertown National Park at the border between Alberta and Montana. Again book well in advance. They had a significant forest fire event 2 years ago but vegetation is growing back very nicely. Nice little town and lots of hikes. Every time we have been there (and that's 20-25 times), have always seen bears, even from the road. From Waterton, you can jump on highway 3 (crows nest pass) and head into BC or cross the border at one of the small border crossing and into Montana to Whitefish etc.

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by yycwrangler View Post
Hello from Calgary.

You'll have a fantastic time in the rockies where ever you go. Someone mentioned busy in Banff..Yes can be but worth the visit. We travel the hour to Banff throughout the summer..Stay at tunnel mountain campsites which has tons of rv camp sites and has a bus which will run you into town for I think $2 or about 10cents US these days (only kidding, maybe $1.50US). That way you don't have to think of parking..Get off the bus, walk downtown and then bus home..Buses even take you to the Banff hot springs which are very nice. Sulphur mountain gondola is a must. Also, if you staying in Banff area, consider a couple of days in Lake Louise. Amazing area, if you're somewhat in shape, hike the trail to the tea hut.

***Remember to book well in advance for both Banff and Lake Louise..I think it starts sometime in Jan 2020***

Also from Lake Louise, it's a quick 40 min drive into Field BC area. Of particular google Takaka falls..Highest falls in Canada I believe.

Jasper is also very nice. But I don't like it as much as Banff. Kelowna is beautiful and if you are biking or are walking folks, the Kettle Valley Railway is a must..Google KVR.

Please feel free to drop me an email should yo have any other questions I can answer agg at shaw dot ca

Lastly if your all the way up here, consider the Calgary Stampede..Usually the beginning of July for 12 days..Lots of activities for those 12 days..many many free pancake breakfasts. Download Calgary stampede breakfast app for locations and times.

Last, lastly - also consider Watertown National Park at the border between Alberta and Montana. Again book well in advance. They had a significant forest fire event 2 years ago but vegetation is growing back very nicely. Nice little town and lots of hikes. Every time we have been there (and that's 20-25 times), have always seen bears, even from the road. From Waterton, you can jump on highway 3 (crows nest pass) and head into BC or cross the border at one of the small border crossing and into Montana to Whitefish etc.

Cheers

Al

Thank you for your suggestions! Sounds like we have lots to look forward to!
Old 12-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Florence , Alabama
We are planning our trip for Summer 2021 and all of this info is very helpful. We will be going north from Glacier up to Banff, Jasper and then head south to North Cascades NP on the western side. We would like to stop a couple nights and bike the Kettle Valley Railroad Trail. Any campground suggestions near the trail? We have kids (12 & 9) and would prefer to bike a family friendly section. It looks like the Myra Canyon section and Little Tunnel near Naramata are the best to check out. Any tips on best sections to ride and campgrounds to stay at are greatly appreciated!
losfeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by losfeliz View Post
We are planning our trip for Summer 2021 and all of this info is very helpful. We will be going north from Glacier up to Banff, Jasper and then head south to North Cascades NP on the western side. We would like to stop a couple nights and bike the Kettle Valley Railroad Trail. Any campground suggestions near the trail? We have kids (12 & 9) and would prefer to bike a family friendly section. It looks like the Myra Canyon section and Little Tunnel near Naramata are the best to check out. Any tips on best sections to ride and campgrounds to stay at are greatly appreciated!
If you want to be on the rail trail outside of towns, Myra Canyon is the best section. You can do an out and back with the kids, and the trestles are worth it. Stay in or near Kelowna.

You likely won’t want to ride in to Myra Canyon. We stayed in Kelowna, and rode from the city there to Gallagher’s Resort, then Myra Canyon, then through to Naramata on the KVRT. That was about 90 km all in, and it was a long day. The toughest section was getting up the forestry road to Myra Canyon. Steep and loose. All others on bikes that we saw that day where being shuttled in. I have driven in before.

The trail can be rough outside city limits and the trestles, as people on ATVs and dirt bikes rip it up and then water takes over. Myra Canyon is fine, but no bikes with skinny tires. We were on Specialized adventure touring bikes with 45c tires, and light luggage.

There is a new rail trail just opened from Kelowna to Vernon, along the lake. Totally flat. Good views. Great with the kids. Recommend you do that on day 2.

Happy to answer questions,

Just note that all this is subject to the border being open.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
The CDN border is closed to non essential traffic
RV traffic is blocked and will likely be so for well into 2021
the only US traffic is for those going to Alaska.
many Americans have received very heavy fines for not going directly to Alaska.
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
This is the latest.

The U.S.-Canada border closure to non-essential travel has been extended into 2021 and and is now scheduled to expire Jan. 21, according to tweets from both sides of the border Friday morning, Dec. 11.