Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #21
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
With family in northern Maine and the DC area, we do the Georgia to Maine trip at least annually - frequently more than that. Our exposure and experience with all the routes mentioned lead us to choosing the I-77, I-81, I-84 leg as the most reliably stress free and timely choice past the Washington-NYC corridor which I find a nightmare. Connecting to I-24/I-95 in South Carolina for the leg into central and southern Florida is best. The Florida Panhandle as your destination does require timing the Atlanta passage for lower congestion periods, mostly between 10pm and 5:30am Of course, weather on the actual travel dates does require fine tuning route decisions.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #22
Rhode Islander

Currently Looking...
Arcadia , Florida
They're all good

I've driven up and down for many years. Sometimes I take the old roads for nostalgia; but traffic is way thicker and meaner than it used to be. Tappan Zee (Cuomo) is new and recommended. Tolls on 95 are outrageous. The route Thursday Baltimore is over a super high bridge, great view of the harbor. All the roads have been upgraded , I just plain love to drive and don't care about traffic. 81 is a nice way to go, too! Just be safe and patient.
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4952 View Post
Hi

We are taking a trip from mid coast Maine shortly after Christmas. Does anyone have a good route that you could suggest to Florida at this time of year?

Thanks so much
Wondering if you are still monitoring this thread, as your user info shows only one post? Are there any portions of the trip you have further questions about, in view of the comments thus far?

Echoing many comments to avoid I-95 south of NYC and take I-81 when possible. From Virginia the options vary widely.

I assume you are planning on winterizing the trailer?

Have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #24
Silver Twinkie

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Massachusetts
I avoid the Chesapeake Tunnel Bridge when towing. The last few times I went that way to VA Beach to visit my military family, it was under construction/repair and the tunnels, made for one-way two-lane traffic, had’em coming both ways and they are very narrow and no shoulder. Big 18 wheelers oncoming that close at highway speeds cause a serious vacuum and resulting sway. White knuckles for sure especially for my wife riding shotgun......
If you’re not in a rush do the Tappenzee Bridge late at night and take the western route through Pennsylvania and then the Blue Ridge down the Shenandoah Valley, it’s beautiful with several good camping areas. Then back on 95 (unless your headed to the west coast of FL) and avoid Baltimore/DC area for sure. There are several routes to go this way depending on GPS info regarding construction and other possible delays. I’ve made the trip from New England more times that I can remember for a few decades now.
If you’re in a hurry, straight down 95 is the fastest but go through everything north of DC in the wee hours or you’ll likely regret it. Get EZpass for the tolls or bring lot of extra cash.
Safe Travels.
runningbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
Check the propane restriction for the bay bridge tunnel. I was once diverted due to that. Rules may have changed. I used to make the route often 95,495,90,84.81.77,20w,75s. Have fun
fordfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #26
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
As noted by runningbear be sure to get the EZpass for the east coast tolls. And the Sunpass if you travel a lot in Florida. We live in Florida and spend a few months each summer in NE Maine.
It great breezing through the tolls - and getting a discount!
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Be sure to get the correct EZ Pass for your tow vehicle and trailer [with the right number of axles].

In NY our one-axle FC20 puts us in EZ Pass class 076:

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

This varies by state.

FYI "EZPass trailer" mentions here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=EZPa...=airforums.com

Peter

FYI
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote