Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Best route through NYC

We are finally taking Sylvie to Colonial Airstream for needed repairs and we are looking for any advice on the best route thru NYC since we will be going from RI to NJ. George Washington bridge? Or Tappenzee and garden state through way better? I am sure either way will be exciting for us newbies

Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Depends on traffic and direction.

Heading south, you won't pay the toll -- they'll get you on the way home. In any kind of traffic, I would avoid the GW Bridge like the plague. We were caught in traffic in the merge where 8-10 lanes had to reduce to 3 in a short period. An idiot tried to cut between our Tow Vehicle and Trailer ! Good thing I spotted the nose of car before hitting the gas.

We usually head down 95S and make our decision based on traffic. Google maps on the iPhone is great. If you don't have that, listen to 880 AM, every 10 minutes they will report on bridge delays. If it's over half an hour difference in delays, we will head north on 287, right at the CT/NY state line to take the Tappan Zee. Be careful about road work near the Tappan Zee.

More often than not, we take the Tappan Zee when heading north. Again, any delay at the GW Bridge is a merging nightmare.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Depends on traffic and direction.

Heading south, you won't pay the toll -- they'll get you on the way home. In any kind of traffic, I would avoid the GW Bridge like the plague. We were caught in traffic in the merge where 8-10 lanes had to reduce to 3 in a short period. An idiot tried to cut between our Tow Vehicle and Trailer ! Good thing I spotted the nose of car before hitting the gas.

We usually head down 95S and make our decision based on traffic. Google maps on the iPhone is great. If you don't have that, listen to 880 AM, every 10 minutes they will report on bridge delays. If it's over half an hour difference in delays, we will head north on 287, right at the CT/NY state line to take the Tappan Zee. Be careful about road work near the Tappan Zee.

More often than not, we take the Tappan Zee when heading north. Again, any delay at the GW Bridge is a merging nightmare.

Good luck.
Thanks! We definitely decided on the Tappenzee.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I would strongly recommend Rts. 84 to 684 south to 287 and over TZB. We use this route all the time and baring the unforeseen it works well. It goes without saying, avoid rush hours especially Friday afternoons.

Once over the bridge, you can stay on the Thruway for about 10miles. You can enter the Garden State Pky from the NYS thruway or continue onto 287 south. It's an easy ride of about 75 miles and you can exit onto the Garden State PKY there it's just a little bit longer. Double check and make sure that the GSP is open to trailers. I believe it is but please do check. At the same time you could also follow signs onto RT 9 and that will take you to Lakewood but the parkway would be much more efficient. There are other routes you could take also so if you want some alternatives send me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I would strongly recommend Rts. 84 to 684 south to 287 and over TZB. We use this route all the time and baring the unforeseen it works well. It goes without saying, avoid rush hours especially Friday afternoons.

Once over the bridge, you can stay on the Thruway for about 10miles. You can enter the Garden State Pky from the NYS thruway or continue onto 287 south. It's an easy ride of about 75 miles and you can exit onto the Garden State PKY there it's just a little bit longer. Double check and make sure that the GSP is open to trailers. I believe it is but please do check. At the same time you could also follow signs onto RT 9 and that will take you to Lakewood but the parkway would be much more efficient. There are other routes you could take also so if you want some alternatives send me a PM and I'll be glad to help.
I agree about using 84 to Brewster/684 south to 287. 684 is a bit rough but direct. I would recommend the garden state parkway, and it is open to trailers, and I use it often as I live in Lakewood.

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 04-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Ornstream,

part of a good answer for you has to do with what time of day, and day of the week you'll be traveling, so if you'd like to PM me, I'll give you a number to reach us on to discuss.

otherwise, your simplest route is to take I95 south from RI through CT, and just after you enter NY, head west on I287 across the Tappan Zee bridge and continue on until you reach the Garden State Parkway extension heading south to Exit 91 for Route 88 in Lakewood. that route is about 226 miles.

don't attempt I95 all the way down to the Bronx to the George Washington Bridge; I promise that, at most times of the day that you'll hate yourself for the roadway, the traffic, or both!

the I84 + I684 option will add another 40 or so miles to your route, but again might be faster than fighting peak traffic on I95 west of New Haven CT.

also be aware that traffic on the GSP at rush hour through Essex, Union, and portions of Middlesex counties (MP 153 to 130) is commonly very heavy and stop and go slow....

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Previous posters have pretty much nailed it here. There is ongoing construction on the Cross Bronx Expressway (and that's a serious misnomer even when it's construction free). Go Tappan Zee and avoid the insanity. And yes, you can pull a trailer on the Garden State. Colonial is located just a few blocks from the exit.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post

Once again thanks for your help!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post

I agree about using 84 to Brewster/684 south to 287. 684 is a bit rough but direct. I would recommend the garden state parkway, and it is open to trailers, and I use it often as I live in Lakewood.

Regards,

Reganzo
We were lucky and didn't hit any traffic all the way down on 95 to 287... Even through new haven. Not so lucky on the way home but at least we weren't pulling Sylvie. Will try 84 when we pick her up! Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
Ornstream,

part of a good answer for you has to do with what time of day, and day of the week you'll be traveling, so if you'd like to PM me, I'll give you a number to reach us on to discuss.

otherwise, your simplest route is to take I95 south from RI through CT, and just after you enter NY, head west on I287 across the Tappan Zee bridge and continue on until you reach the Garden State Parkway extension heading south to Exit 91 for Route 88 in Lakewood. that route is about 226 miles.

don't attempt I95 all the way down to the Bronx to the George Washington Bridge; I promise that, at most times of the day that you'll hate yourself for the roadway, the traffic, or both!

the I84 + I684 option will add another 40 or so miles to your route, but again might be faster than fighting peak traffic on I95 west of New Haven CT.

also be aware that traffic on the GSP at rush hour through Essex, Union, and portions of Middlesex counties (MP 153 to 130) is commonly very heavy and stop and go slow....

best,
Thanks so much! We went yesterday and took your simplest route without any problems. Lots of traffic on the way home so we stopped for dinner
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
Previous posters have pretty much nailed it here. There is ongoing construction on the Cross Bronx Expressway (and that's a serious misnomer even when it's construction free). Go Tappan Zee and avoid the insanity. And yes, you can pull a trailer on the Garden State. Colonial is located just a few blocks from the exit.
Sounds like everyone avoids the GW bridge! I crossed it many years ago in a car and hated it even then. Wasn't sure if it changed...guess not. The TZ was a breeze and so was the GSP. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
And actually, we prefer the GW to negotiating The BQE and the Goethals bridge. Anyway you look at it, leaving Long Island to head south or west just stinks! Thank the lord for the ferries to New England.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornstream View Post

Sounds like everyone avoids the GW bridge! I crossed it many years ago in a car and hated it even then. Wasn't sure if it changed...guess not. The TZ was a breeze and so was the GSP. Thanks for the input!
Did Colonial get you in and out that quickly or did you leave your trailer?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post

Did Colonial get you in and out that quickly or did you leave your trailer?
It is in for major repairs (a new floor) so we probably won't pick her up again for a month. Still faster than if we tried to do it ourselves