Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
Best route through Baltimore and DC?

Hi - we are newbies picking up our new 25 Flying Cloud in NJ in mid-July... We will be returning to Wilmington, NC and plan on splitting the route into 2 days and staying our first "night on the road" at a drive through site at the Richmond - Kings Dominion KOA.
My question is what is the best route through Baltimore and DC on a Saturday around noon - should I take 695 around Baltimore and 495 around DC or gut it out on 95 going direct? I'm fairly comfortable towing with our Ram 2500, but this is a bigger trailer than I'm used to...
I really appreciate any route advice from the folks who have been there, done that!
Thanks,
Ed

etojeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
As a native Marylander (but long since gone) I’m afraid 95 is the only direct route. But you should expect incredibly dense traffic at that time of the day, especially on a weekend. Expect stop and go traffic until you’re well south of Alexandria. No tailgating!! You’ll love Kings Dominion I bet!

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Ed, I've done this a bunch of times. Traveling down 95 is not pleasant and when you get to Baltimore you'll have to take the 695 route to avoid the Baltimore Tunnel (propane restriction). After Baltimore it get's very congested.

Suggest you just relax, take this route to Fredrick Maryland and consider following RT15 as far south as you like:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Colo...142688!3e0!5i1
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
Thanks, that looks like a great option - I appreciate the feedback! I think I'll just stay on 15 and bypass DC too!
etojeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
We make the run from NY to NC fairly often and haven’t found a better route than 95. Perhaps it is also because we make a determined effort to stop at Locust Point Steamers in Baltimore for crabs. Oddly enough, have always been able to park the airstream on the street.

A favorite stopping point when all we need is a place o sleep and dump has been: http://www.princewilliamforestrvcampground.com
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
We make the run from NY to NC fairly often and haven’t found a better route than 95. Perhaps it is also because we make a determined effort to stop at Locust Point Steamers in Baltimore for crabs. Oddly enough, have always been able to park the airstream on the street.

A favorite stopping point when all we need is a place o sleep and dump has been: http://www.princewilliamforestrvcampground.com

Thank me later The real deal Baltimore Hardshell Crab dive spot. I'll go out on a limb and say you will be able to park. It is an industrial area with quite a bit of gravel lot surrounding. Just don't go after a ballgame and expect to get a seat.

Cantler's

458 Forest Beach Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21409
Phone: 410-757-1311
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:19 AM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We travel through the DC area quite often heading from NJ to Florida and points south. For the most part we head out into PA and take 81 south to 77south etc. From time to time we need to stay to the east and since I hate the hectic pace and traffic on 95 (and the Baltimore tunnel restrictions) I choose to travel 301. Pick it up in Delaware and except for some congestion north of the Potomac River bridge it's mostly clear sailing.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I agree I-95 is most direct route. Given that, is there any way you could wait to get on the road until Monday, say around 0930 or 1000, when the traffic eases up a bit? I live in DC and have to go to Fredericksburg, VA on occasion; and I can't think of a worst time to do that than "Saturday around noon." Or can you get on earlier, much earlier, like 0700?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #9
Mike & Erin

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Bel Air , Maryland
etojeo,

We live on the Northeast side of Baltimore in Bel Air, MD and have had our AS 2 years. We also bought from Colonial!

Traffic is a bitch around DC ALWAYS. The Baltimore beltway (I-695) the old tunnel (I-895) and Key Bridge (I-695 East) are all under construction right now. The DC to Richmond corridor sucks most of the time on weekend with the VA Beach traffic.

I STRONGLY recommend you Gas up at the BJ's in Lakewood BEFORE you pick up your trailer (yes, they have diesel) and then head back on I-195 West to I-295 South to I-276 west to the PA turnpike.

Take US 15 south through Frederick, MD, and then cut over to Dumfries, VA, & I-95.

The other option is staying on I-295 in NJ and coming down through Wilmington, DE... Take US 301 through Maryland across the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge over The Bay and the Nace bridge over the Potomac. You can cut over on VA 30 from 301 right to Kings Dominion. I'm a traveling salesman and cover the east coast and eastern Canada. I never go through DC unless I have to... It's either the eastern route (301) or western route (US-15 or US 340) depending upon where I'm going. Make sure you have an EZ Pass before you go and be prepared to hold your ankles on tolls!
SetterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
WBCCI # 23456

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Ed, I've done this a bunch of times. Traveling down 95 is not pleasant and when you get to Baltimore you'll have to take the 695 route to avoid the Baltimore Tunnel (propane restriction). After Baltimore it get's very congested.

Suggest you just relax, take this route to Fredrick Maryland and consider following RT15 as far south as you like:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Colo...142688!3e0!5i1

Yep. Fact. I learned that in December, 1973. They said "you have to go this way". I pulled up the ramp near the tunnel and was lost in Baltimore for an hour.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You might consider loading the trailer on a boat and floating it down the coast ....

There is a small park just down the road from Colonial. I would hang out "in the area" for a day or three just in case there are surprises. You have a long drive back. I would most certainly run the trailer over to Out of Doors Mart before I did that drive for repairs.

One thing to watch for on the route - No matter how much your Garmin RV GPS yells at you to be in the far left lane or you will die ... ignore it. You do *not* want to be in the HOV Express lane with a trailer. The ticket is ...errr ... $238 was it? .... The officer carefully explained that you can go on the web site and look up that restriction since it's not posted on any of the signs. I didn't ask what the fine for looking things up on the web while driving was

One alternate route is to head over to I-81 and go *way* around the whole mess. I-81 is no dream highway and you will be going a very long ways out of your way. It *does* take you right past Carlisle PA though ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #12

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Charles Town , West Virginia
Drive from NJ to Wilmington, NC

Avoid I-95 altogether! While it’s the most direct, it also the most congested & you can expect that route to add up to 4 hours to your trip—especially on a Saturday afternoon! Consider taking I-78 to I-81 south. When you’re safely past DC, you can pick the most direct route east to Wilmington.
If you have the time, & enjoy scenic drives, consider taking I-95 to Wilmington, DE, then driving south on route 13 to get the Norfolk, VA, area, then pick up route 17 to Wilmington, NC. We’ve just made this drive from South Jersey, on our way to Savannah. It’s a bit longer, but a leisurely, lovely drive. We stayed at Virginia Landing—about 1/2 way between Barnegat, NJ, & Wilmington (NC)—in Quincy, VA, on Assateague Island.
stryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
I would also recommend maybe just taking Route 1 through Delaware to 301 in Maryland and onto Rt 50 for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Then just head to the western shore of southern Maryland by Rt 2. It's a very smooth drive I've taken many times. You can then head toward Richmond and I-95. At least this gets you away from Baltimore and the DC Beltway and shouldn't add too much time.
AMDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by etojeo View Post
Hi - we are newbies picking up our new 25 Flying Cloud in NJ in mid-July... We will be returning to Wilmington, NC and plan on splitting the route into 2 days and staying our first "night on the road" at a drive through site at the Richmond - Kings Dominion KOA.

My question is what is the best route through Baltimore and DC on a Saturday around noon - should I take 695 around Baltimore and 495 around DC or gut it out on 95 going direct? I'm fairly comfortable towing with our Ram 2500, but this is a bigger trailer than I'm used to...

I really appreciate any route advice from the folks who have been there, done that!

Thanks,

Ed
Go east Francis Scott bridge then 301 south through southern Maryland across 301 bridge into VA. Straight to route 95 south one exit to kings dominion. Go west you don't want to be anywhere near DC at any time of day or night.
Regards Chuck

engineshow is offline   Reply With Quote