Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We've done the "coast route" several times to avoid I-95 at various points along the run from Boston down to Miami. The gotcha is alway vacation traffic. If it's a weekend, you may be in worse shape close to the coast than you were on I-95. We've spent hours in traffic jams at various points on some of the "shortcuts".

Also consider that as you get onto smaller roads, issues change. Chugging through rural PA, watch out for the horse and buggy crowd. Coming up over a hill and there they are ... yikes ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

I used to live in New Jersey and traveled down south.

I 78 to I 81 was my preferred route.

Less traffic, less stress, less stop and go, less tolls, just $2 to get out of Jersey
WAY nicer scenery

I 95 is flatter though
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Balitmore

Why not enjoy the trip down the NJ shore, Cape May ferry to Lewis, MD then on to Chincoteague, see the wild ponies, and on to VA beach and otter banks?
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreardon View Post
Why not enjoy the trip down the NJ shore, Cape May ferry to Lewis, MD then on to Chincoteague, see the wild ponies, and on to VA beach and otter banks?
Hi

If this is your first towing experience, getting on and off the ferry can be a bit exciting. The same can be said for your first tunnel experience. Neither one would definitely rule out that route. It is very pretty. You can stop at the Airstream park just before you leave New Jersey. There are a number of parks on the way past that. Just don't push things too hard. Slow down and enjoy all the pretty sights.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:34 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Micanopy , Florida
I've got to agree with deltaron. If buying at Colonial, Take Garden State parkway to Cape may, ferry boat to Lewes Delaware, rt 1 south to ocean city, nice camping along this route, 50 west to 113 south to Pocomoke, then 13 south through Virginia to Chesapeake bay bridge, don't forget to stop at Chincoteague island and see the wild ponies, pick up 17 south side of Norfolk and run down to home! Good roads, plenty to see and explore and I can't think of a better way to break in a new AS! Back roads for ever! A comfortable 2 days. We love this rt
Rick
Offack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
301 in MD is an option, but the Harry Nice bridge over the Potomac into VA is a white knuckle drive... Very narrow and if there's a wind advisory, you're best to avoid.

Timing I-95 is the key. Early morning is best on a weekend. Mid morning best on a weekday. But it will suck at noon on Saturday.
LuckyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #27
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Add a Day and Avoid them Both

Since Airstreaming is all about the voyage I would suggest a route we took last fall coming down from Maine (living in DC I try to avoid I-95 at ALL costs).

South of Wilmington DE at Christiana, take Rt 1 South to Biddles Corner and take Rt 301 south to Queenstown and pick up Rt 50 down the Eastern Shore (Maryland and Virginia State Parks are very good i.e. Assategue Island National Seashore, the towns of Oxford, Easton and St Michael, Cape Charles). Take the Bay Bridge and Tunnel (no propane prohibition, just must be inspected valves in the off position) connect to I-64 to Richmond. I guarantee it is a terrific experience, but I also will guarantee you will spend more than 1 extra day.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by etojeo View Post
Thanks, that looks like a great option - I appreciate the feedback! I think I'll just stay on 15 and bypass DC too!

This is the route I'd take if I were you. You'll pay some tolls on the PA Turnpike. Route 15 to 17 over to 95. We've done that route several times. You'll likely get some traffic on 95 at Fredericksburg but this route is WAY better than through/around DC.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
We bought our Airstream from Colonial when we were living in DC in 2015. Best to avoid DC and Baltimore metro areas, but I don't advise going all the way west to Frederick Maryland and I-81 (which is no picnic, either). Take whatever route pleases you from Colonial to US 301 in Wilmington Delaware. There's an interstate that parallels the NJ turnpike (but without the tolls), or you can take the turnpike. In any event, cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge to I-95 for a brief run until the US 301 south exit.
Take 301 south through Delaware and Eastern Shore of Maryland where it joins US 50. Leave US 50 around Salisbury and take US 17 south to the Chespeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. From there, it's an easy connection to eastern North Carolina and you're minimally caught up in the Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News congestion. We took that route going the opposite direction (north) from Elizabeth City to our home near Easton, Md.

The Cape May - Lewes ferry is an option, but its a several hour boat ride; and my guess is that the ferry is pretty expensive for a TV-trailer combination. Bay Bridge/Tunnel was not as expensive as I feared and all they wanted me to do was to shut off my propane.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Heathsville , Arkansas
We live on Virginia’s Northern Neck, east of Richmond. We very often travel to NJ, near Colonial, to visit family. Please listen to those who suggest traveling east from Wilmington, onto 301, through Middletown, down the Eastern Shore and over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (not the tunnel; too far out of the way and the HRBT is a mess). After the Bay Bridge, follow 301 S and over the Nice Bridge. Yes, it’s narrow but fairly easy. Go through Bowling Green and head west to 95, at a point where the traffic is less and you’re close to your destination. Enjoy!
mrhulse is offline   Reply With Quote