Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
1982 31' Airstream 310
Portland , Oregon
Best route Phoenix-Portland

I'm looking for an alternative to the I-5 through California route. I have already driven that twice in the last 4 months, once with my truck and tool trailer and again with my '82 310 classic. This trip will be the Silverado and tool trailer so not as concerned with pulling hills. Not to mention those Cali gas prices are killer on the wallet. Any advice is much appreciated! Oh yeah, plan to leave Monday May 21st. Oregon or bust!

Bertiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We just got back from Phoenix a couple of weeks ago and suggest this route: Go out U.S. 60 to Wickenburg, go up U.S. 93 to Kingman, continue up 93 to Las Vegas (the new Hoover Dam bypass is cool!) Through Las Vegas (stay in the second outside lane) and take U.S. 95 north. There is cheap fuel in Beatty. A good overnight stop is north of Tonopah, rest stop, no semi trucks permitted. At Fallon, (cheap fuel) take a left and go through Sparks/Reno on I-80. Pick-up U.S. 395 at Reno and head north, there is a Susanville by-pass heading north. There is a nice State Rec.Park. at the Cali-Oregon border (Goose Lake). Take 31 up to La Pine. You can either stay on U.S. 97 to Biggs on the Columbia River, or find your way over the hill on U.S. 26. Happy trails!

"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
1982 31' Airstream 310
Portland , Oregon
Thanks, that sounds much more adventurous than the I-5 corridor once again!!
Bertiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Use Google Maps for Phoenix to Portland directions and click on the 'Veterans Memorial Highway' route. This closely follows Mike's route. Once in OR and on US 97, you can go over the Cascades thru Sisters (signs for the cut-off just north of Bend) into Eugene and pick up I-5 to Portland.

Or...... you can stay on US 97 thru Madras, then follow 197 to The Dalles and I-84 west along the Columbia River Gorge and the National Scenic Area (definitely worth the trip), or take US 26 across Mt. Hood either into Portland or Rt. 35 just south of the mountain into Hood River (great micro-brews!) for more scenery.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote