Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
Best route from Topsail Hill Preserve, Florida to Northern VT Rt.91

To seasoned travelers who have done the trip from the North, Vermont for myself to the Panhandle region in Florida, what is your recommended route back say from Topsail Hill Preserve State Park to Northern VT off of Rt. 91 North. The drive back will be in blocks of 300 miles/day with overnight stops. Is 95 the easiest way back maybe until reaching Frederickson VA, then going inland to avoid NY, DC etc.? Any favorites campgrounds/RV parks/State parks for easy exit off the highway for a night and back on the road the next morning? Thanks!
My3Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
What time of year will you be traveling? There would be big difference in my recommendation winter to summer.
Will you be traveling 300 miles every day moving homeward fast as possible, or stopping along the way to see new things?

ps:
It was fall when I came south down to I-84 west, then I-81 south to I-77 south. I like that route better than 1-95 through NYC & DC, since traffic is better.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Never done it but I'd likely run Montgomery to Birmingham to Chattanooga. Then on to Knoxville on 75 and pick up 40 to 81 there. I've stayed at Fort Chiswell RV Park, not fancy but made for a nice easy overnight off 81.

Last time I was on 84 from Scranton to Hartford it was a rough ride.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
van nuys , California
Topsail is beautiful, good choice. You will like. It's an easy half mile bike ride or walk to the private beach, if you are considering bringing bikes that might be a deciding factor.
As for route back... most directly brings you through, seems like the 10 to the 95 is your most direct, but the drive through central georgic is pretty, cool two lane roads but still plenty space for your rig. After braving Atlanta take 23 to Asheville, good rv park called Bear Creek, and then go through Johnson city and Bristol you can take 81 through Shenandoah Valley which is gorgeous all the way up to Harrisburg PA, North of there I can't rightly advise, but I bet its gonna be beautiful whatever ya do! Have Fun, makes me wish I were back East.
Kinnebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
If you come up I-59 through Birmingham to Chattanooga, there is a nice campground not far off the freeway on top of Lookout Mtn and is an easy 30-40 minute drive. Well worth the time.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
Thanks for the tips, it seems from what I've gathered so far is to avoid 95 and go inward, but going through Atlanta is a bit stressful. Being Northeast has been rough this year, I was buried in 3 feet of snow and chilling temperatures in the single digits! So I am planning and dreaming of an Airstream trip next winter.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
Thanks for the reply. I will be traveling in early February. I am planning on driving down the route you're suggesting, but was wondering if it would be a nice route to try going back north via 95 North for a change, but what I've gathered so far, not too many like rt. 95 because of heavier traffic. So maybe I'll stick with the same route driving back home.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Aussies View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will be traveling in early February. I am planning on driving down the route you're suggesting, but was wondering if it would be a nice route to try going back north via 95 North for a change, but what I've gathered so far, not too many like rt. 95 because of heavier traffic. So maybe I'll stick with the same route driving back home.
When winter weather happens down south they are not equipped to deal with it like up north, so conditions do not improve quickly. If there will be ice while traveling/towing, staying more eastward would be my choice.

The parts of I-81 and 1-77 in the mountains, in VA & NC, can be brutal during winter. Black ice and re-frozen snow melt are not unusual. Keep an eye on the weather.

Most of the time, on I-95 from southern VA to the merge of I-26 near Charleston SC traffic is not bad, unless there is an accident. If there is snow in that area, it is usually melted the next day.

South of I-26 on I-95 traffic is always heavy. Holiday traffic is awful. I avoid this area from Christmas through mid January (snowbirds going south). And it gets crazy again around April into May (snowbirds going home)

Traveling from FL to VA on I-95 there are overnight options at about half of the exits. Stop early and you should have no problem finding a place.

Skidaway Island GA state park is a good choice.
Edisto Beach SC state park, camping right on the beach, is another.

ps:
I've been traveling to FL multiple times each winter, since the early 1990s. I started going when I drove my parents when they became too old to make the trip alone.

ps2:
I avoid Atlanta after being stuck going both ways, an hour downtown at midnight on I-85. 3 hours dead standstill on I-285. Never will I tow through again. I found a way going south from I-85 where I turn south on US highway 441 at Commerce GA. Then at Madison GA highway 83 over to I-75 south. I've towed my 34' this way without issue.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I avoid I-75 and I-95 when I head out of Florida. Since you're already in the Panhandle, take US 19 out of Tallahassee up through the west side of GA on US27. Nice drive, good road, few large towns. Avoids Atlanta that way. State parks along the way are plenty too. That will take you to Chattanooga. Harrison Bay ST Pk there. Then hop on I-75 to I-81. That'll get you north and avoid 95. Unless you want to see anything along the Atlantic Coast.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Best way to US 27 to Chatanooga, TN

You do not have to go to Tallahassee to get US 27, head north on FL 79 to Graceville, FL then to Dothan, AL 431 North to Columbus, GA then I 185 to LaGrange, GA catch 27 there. You can stay in Pine Mountain, GA at Roosevelt State Park nice place.
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
We just did the trip from Topsail to Annapolis. US 10 to 95. 95 is rough/bumpy through South Carolina. We've done the trip before and highly prefer US 81 when the weather is nice. Having also done the trip north to VT from Annapolis, we swear we will never do 95 again! On our return, we went west to Albany, NY then south through the Poconos. A much nicer route, weather permitting.

To us, the extra distance via 81, etc is worth the improved ride and scenery.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Play the Percentages

As one who has spent nearly 80 years living in the upper south, I am not afraid of the threat of bad winter weather down here (East Tennessee). We have a bit of snow from time to time, but seldom is it a major accumulation. If I were driving north from the western panhandle of Fla., I would hit I-65 as soon as convenient and go to Birmingham, then take I-59 to I-24 near Chattanooga, then I -75 to its junction with I-40 near Knoxville. Take I-40 to its junction with I-81 a few miles east of Knoxville and head north on I-81. Probably the most direct way and certainly with less traffic than i-95. If you must go through Atlanta, try to do it on a weekend and preferably mid-morning. Don't take the beltway, but just blast right on through town. There is less traffic that way and the distance is less. Nice state park just south of Birmingham (Oak Mt. S.P.). Plenty of state parks and C.O.E. or TVA parks in Tennessee. Good luck!
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
Thanks for pointing out different routes depending on traveling in summer or winter, makes sense. I did not think about how winter conditions, especially snow storms are dealt with at different pace if you're in Northern New England or if you are farther south. Whenever I talk to my daughter who moved to Baltimore after they get few inches of snow and things come to a halt, school close yet in Vermont I deal with snow coming down day in day out and it keeps accumulating, never melting until the end of April!! So I retired early and got my self an Airstream! It does help hearing what experienced Airstreamers have done over the years, thanks!
Old 01-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
I was not thinking about going West through Tennessee, thanks for pointing out that route. That could be really nice, never been there. Avoiding Atlanta too seems to be echoed by many who've done that travel route. Thanks for the helpful suggestions!
Old 01-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
I agree with . you,I will rather drive a longer distance for nice scenery and less stress due to heavy traffic. Thank you for felping me making some decisions.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Assuming the weather is fair on any route option (ha!), I'd do what google maps says except I'd head north on I-81 from Harrisburg PA to Scranton then east on I-84 from Scranton to Hartford to pick up I-91 north. That is generally more scenic than the I-95 option, shorter and avoids both D.C. And NYC.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote