Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Best Route East Glacier into Canada/Banff?

Asking for route advice from those who may be familiar with the area. Both in regard to roads and also border crossings.

We are going to be in East Glacier at the St. Mary's KOA for 3 nights in July. From there we will be heading to Lake Louise in the Banff area.

There are 2 possible routes.

Option 1 is US highway 17 crossing more to the West,turning into Canada highway 6.

Option 2 is US highway 89-/turns into Canada highway 2--more to the East.

Thank you in advance

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
They are both perfectly fine options. Rural paved 2 lane highways, reasonably well maintained on both sides of the border. The western crossing (Chief Mountain) is probably less busy, but Carway is relatively quiet too. Check the open hours - Chief Mountain is seasonal, and both are probably closed at night.
The real question is the route you want to follow. The western route takes you through Waterton Lakes national Park and through Pincher Creek, and is the logical route to Highway 22. This would take to Highway 40 which is a beautiful road over the Highwood Pass on your way to Highway 1 to go to Banff National Park.
The eastern route makes sense if you want to take the four lane to Calgary first.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
They are both perfectly fine options. Rural paved 2 lane highways, reasonably well maintained on both sides of the border. The western crossing (Chief Mountain) is probably less busy, but Carway is relatively quiet too. Check the open hours - Chief Mountain is seasonal, and both are probably closed at night.
The real question is the route you want to follow. The western route takes you through Waterton Lakes national Park and through Pincher Creek, and is the logical route to Highway 22. This would take to Highway 40 which is a beautiful road over the Highwood Pass on your way to Highway 1 to go to Banff National Park.
The eastern route makes sense if you want to take the four lane to Calgary first.

We don't have any need to go to Calgary. That day will start in Glacier and end at Lake Louise. So just a travel day.

What type of driving conditions are on each road? Is the western path curvy mountain driving, or more straightforward?

Will one route have a noted longer travel time based on traffic and roads?

Also we will need to get groceries for the thing we are not able to cross the border with (meat, veggies, etc). Based on the likely western route, any recommendations for that?

Thank you,

Piggy Bank
Old 05-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
We don't have any need to go to Calgary. That day will start in Glacier and end at Lake Louise. So just a travel day.

What type of driving conditions are on each road? Is the western path curvy mountain driving, or more straightforward?

Will one route have a noted longer travel time based on traffic and roads?

Also we will need to get groceries for the thing we are not able to cross the border with (meat, veggies, etc). Based on the likely western route, any recommendations for that?

Thank you,
The western route is more curvy, a bit more hilly - but it's foothills until you get to Highway 40 through the Kananaskis area. Highway 6 to Pincher Creek might have a couple of sections that are about 5 to 6% grade, but these are short.
No long pulls until you get to the Highwood Pass on Highway 40, where you will experience a 3 to 4% grade, and maybe a couple of miles at about 6% near the top. Traffic is usually light up there at 7,000 feet. You will find the roads to be built and maintained to a good standard. They are not narrow goat trails by any means.

I'm not sure if driving time would differ, but the western route avoids Calgary city traffic, and is more scenic. The only busy portion on a week day would be Highway 1 heading west to Banff.

For groceries and fuel, plan to stop at Pincher Creek. There's a Walmart just north of the traffic circle, and a Co-op supermarket and fuel station and a Shell station on the opposite side of the traffic circle. That fuel stations are very easy to navigate with a combination. Actually, since you are bypassing the Calgary area Pincher Creek will be the best option for groceries until you get to Banff.

There is a 70 mile stretch of Highway 22 with no services, so stopping at Pincher Creek (or Longview at the north end) are good options.

Some final notes. 1. It may be windy out there, so don't be surprised by that - although it's usually calmer in the summer. You will drive through open range country on both sides of the border, so watch for cattle on the road. 3. If you like Mexican food, you might consider having lunch at the general store at Twin Butte. It's a rather unlikely looking place in the middle of nowhere, but they've got a restaurant and it's one we enjoy stopping at. Highway 6 north of Waterton. 4. You can expect to see wildlife at some point during this drive. Feral horses on the Montana side, elk and deer, perhaps a bear, and bighorn sheep at the Highwood Pass are all possibilities.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
AlbertF, you are very well informed on the area. I plan to keep this in mind as well for future travels.
I just want to add that traveling through Calgary is relatively easy, if need be.
PG, you could almost wave at AlbertF as you go by; High River is located south of Calgary.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
AlbertF has posted great detail on the two routes across the border.

I would just add a comment in support of AlbertF's point, that I would select your border crossing based more on your planned route north after the crossing.

We greatly prefer Hwy 22 to Hwy 2. Hwy 22 is more scenic in our opinion. Hwy 2 is a little more like an interstate. More lanes, more truck traffic.

With either route north, you can go around Calgary on the north via Hwy 2 (the Deerfoot) to Hwy 1 (the TransCanada), which isn't bad unless it is rush hour, skirt Calgary to the south on Hwy 22x (there is construction underway for a new ring road), or if you are on Hwy 22 already just stay there until Hwy 1. That would be my default route.

An additional option already mentioned is that once you get closer to Calgary you can take Hwy 40 (Highwood Pass) if you are already on Hwy 22. It is amazingly scenic, and a good road, but it is the highest paved mountain pass in Canada. If you are comfortable with ascents and descents, go for it. If you want to avoid the up and down, stay on Hwy 22 to Hwy 1.

Hwy 40 is famous as an amazing bike ride, very popular. The photos are from our last trip there on bikes, along with family from Calgary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	340973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	340974  

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	340975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1420.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	340976  

jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We drove this route in September 2017.

We camped in East Glacier then drove to Waterton. I believe this is worth at least a two day visit. Then without a doubt, take the highway 40 route. It is a spectacular drive and you will not be disappointed. We easily drove from Waterton to Banff Tunnel Mountain Trailer Park in one day.

I was told that the highest concentration of Grizzlies live in that valley. It was a memorable drive. Don't miss it!

The Chief Mountain border crossing was easy and no lines.

We did this trip pulling our 23FB with a Tundra.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Also, I was told that Waterton is the windiest place in Canada and to check the weather forecast. It truly is a spectacular place. Camp in the town campground. make reservations.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
We are very privileged to live in proximity to places that people from around the world want to come and visit. For many people, these are dream vacations, once in a lifetime events. I’ve found that you meet some of the nicest and most interesting people on hiking trails.

Waterton is our favourite Canadian national park. It was heavily affected by the Kenow wildfire in September 2017 (which simply means that we will enjoy a new kind of beauty as the forests regenerate), but the townsite was preserved. The townsite RV park is very nice. Full hookups, surrounded by mountains, and you can walk to have a nice dinner if you don’t want to cook!

I could go on about our experiences, but you can find lots of information online. PM me if you have specific questions, and I’ll try to answer them.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for all who took time to answer.

Jcl those pictures are really nice.

Albert, that you for your offer. I may have some questions as our dates get closer, and will PM if we do.

Steamy we also will be pulling with a Tundra. We will watch the winds.

Piggy Bank
Old 05-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Unless you have a particular reason to visit Calgary, I would avoid it. Lots of big-city traffic, especially if you hit it during rush hour.

I would second visiting Waterton Lakes. I would recommend a reservation at the Waterton Township campground. It's a bit citified but a lot of the RV sites have hookups, it's right on the water, and then you can walk to town for dinner or interesting little shops.

If you can spend a day there, there is a great commercial boat ride on Upper Waterton Lake from town back south into Glacier NP that is really scenic.

Speaking of wind, when it's up you may catch some of the adventuresome locals paragliding over Upper Waterton Lake.

If you take the western route, Montana HY 17 (highway 6 in Canada,) there is a neat old log customs station.

Lots of old threads here on do's and don'ts for both Canadian customs-- and returning back to the US.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If I remember correctly, we used the Chief Mountain route and made a slight detour to Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo-Jump.

Worth the trip.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We go up every year from both East and West Glacier into the Banff area and Jasper. Like many places up there, very crowded July/Aug time frame so getting a "first come" type camp site is more difficult...takes some effort. We like Waterton and that's a great place to camp just outside town, but it can get pretty windy, as was mentioned. Still, very nice. Calgary..yep, very busy traffic wise. In Banff, there are several campgrounds; my advise is find one and stay put. you can visit all the lakes and key attractions without driving too far, except if you want to go see the ice fields..that's reason to plan on moving up to that area to camp.

I shouldn't mention this, but we found Canmore to be extremely nice place to visit; not as many tourists, lots of great resturants, and campgrounds in the area that were not too expensive, like Three Sisters and Wapiti. We have stayed in Banff area many times when we can get in, but these others are not too far a drive if you can't get something closer to Banff.

We have also stayed at that KOA you mentioned...if you can get into St. Marys or Many Glacier, you will find a more rich camping experience for sure...just no hook ups. Hope you enjoy the trip! Perhaps we will see you somewhere along the way!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for all of the advice.

I think we will take the more scenic western route into Banff. We have reservations at Lake Louise for 5 nights, so will heed advice and stay put and venture out for our day to day.

Piggy Bank
Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Thanks for all of the advice.

I think we will take the more scenic western route into Banff. We have reservations at Lake Louise for 5 nights, so will heed advice and stay put and venture out for our day to day.
Lake Louise is very pretty...so is Lake Morane; advise to get up early when doing stuff around either lake; the crowds are like mosquitos after 9am...didn't use to be this way, but it is now!

Swift Currant in ManyGlacier, Lake Morane, and Lake Saint Mary's...enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swiftcurrent Lake.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	341220   Click image for larger version

Name:	lake morain canada.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	341221  

Name:	St Marys lake.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	341222  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
calgary , Alberta
I live in Calgary and will agree with AlbertF if you can stay away from the city unless you want to come to the Stampede begining og July. The winds on Hwy 22 and Hwy 3 this past winter were clocked at 160km/h so yea it gets windy lol not so much in the summer but it still can kick up. Enjoy our beautiful mountains. If you want to visit Banff townsite while staying in Lake Louise there is a new transit route between the townsites and it is only a few bucks WAY less stress than trying to find paking in Banff
alberta paso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
If you get the chance, travel up the road a short piece from Lake Louise to Moraine Lake. We liked it a lot better there. And if time permits, a little farther up is Maligne Lake, a pretty spectacular place. If you’re into white water canoeing or kayaking, the Athabasca River flows down from the glacier of the same name right next to the highway. A short stretch of it will get your heart pumping.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Lake Louise is very pretty...so is Lake Morane; advise to get up early when doing stuff around either lake; the crowds are like mosquitos after 9am...didn't use to be this way, but it is now!

Swift Currant in ManyGlacier, Lake Morane, and Lake Saint Mary's...enjoy!

That's some terrific photography.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for the additional info.

Piggy Bank