Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Best route across Colorado West to east

Planning our cross country trip and had thought about heading from UT through southern CO and maybe Northern NM.

For those that have done it, how would you go? Some of the passes go up pretty high. Not adverse to that, but looking for options.

Thanks in advance
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Every route west-to-east through Colorado will involve crossing the Rocky Mountains at an elevation between well over ten thousand feet. US-6 has Loveland Pass (11,990), US-34 has Milner Pass (10,759), US-40 has Berthoud Pass (11,307) , US-50 has Monarch Pass (11,312), US-160 has Wolf Creek Pass (10,856), and I-70 passes through the Eisenhower and Johnson Tunnels with a highpoint at 11,158 feet. It is more a matter of grades and curves and how much shoulder. I haven't towed any of them, but I've driven all of them but US-6/Loveland Pass and would have to recommend I-70 if curves or narrow/absent shoulders are a concern.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
We've towed to around 11,000 n the Uintas in Utah, and around 10,000 on the boulders.

Wolf Creek pass was what I was considering at this point. I've done I70 several times while not towing. What are the Eisenhower tunnel restrictions?
Old 06-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Wikipedia says the height limit for the tunnels are 13.92 ft (4.24 m). From memory, Berthoud Pass (US-40) has lots of tight-ish cruves to it, and Milner Pass (US-34) as well plus the awesome scenery but scant shoulders of Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. Wolf Creek is steep but has fewer tight curves. Monarch I can't remember as well despite having done in daylight several times, but I recall the curves being less severe (no wore than Wolf Creek).
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShullsinUtah View Post
We've towed to around 11,000 n the Uintas in Utah, and around 10,000 on the boulders.

Wolf Creek pass was what I was considering at this point. I've done I70 several times while not towing. What are the Eisenhower tunnel restrictions?
Your 25 foot Airstream has no issues with Eisenhower Tunnel. This for large tractor trailers hauling oversized mining equipment and farm equipment, type of cargo. Gasoline tankers cannot go through the Eisenhower.

They get to use the Loveland Pass detour. A very entertaining route if you plan to use it to tow your trailer. A diesel would do well using the engine brakes.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioSean View Post
Wikipedia says the height limit for the tunnels are 13.92 ft (4.24 m). From memory, Berthoud Pass (US-40) has lots of tight-ish cruves to it, and Milner Pass (US-34) as well plus the awesome scenery but scant shoulders of Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. Wolf Creek is steep but has fewer tight curves. Monarch I can't remember as well despite having done in daylight several times, but I recall the curves being less severe (no wore than Wolf Creek).

Monarch Pass... the King of the 'Colorado Experience'!

All of the half finished water bottles with air within, will be making popping and cracking sounds, letting you know you are nearing the top, once, twice and then finally you do reach the top. It is the down that you will never forget, when towing.

Only if trailers were permitted to be towed to the top of Pikes Peak and back down... would put Monarch at a distant second.

You may not remember Monarch Pass, as the passengers were most likely screaming on the way down, while smelling 18 wheeler brakes smoking and burning braking down the other side!

Enjoy Colorado. Warm days and cold to cool evenings this time of year. Also, very busy with more out of state plates than locals on the roads.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Easiest is I70. It also makes for a good ride through Kansas and Missouri. That is a long way from NM, but I25 gets you South.

The Southern route is US160. You can dodge Wolf Creek Pass if you grab 84 and head for NM.

Fires are breaking out in several states. Check on fire status to plan the trip.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good suggestion to monitor fire status, Pat. Here are some links from your Fire Hazard thread:

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to that thread]
Happy trails, Shulls . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Yeah, I've been loosely keeping an eye on the fire situation and it's less than optimal. Things are starting to pop around here to. I'm afraid this fire season is going to be a bad one.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If the road was designed for heavy truck / bus traffic there is no problem with any Airstream or other RV trailers. Be confident in your brakes, take a break along the way if you smell brakes AND ( most important) go slow on the downhills. Our modern tow vehicles go like crazy uphill but when it comes to the downhill runs we just gotta take it easy. Watch out for length restrictions ( there are some) but most of all take it easy and enjoy the drive.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShullsinUtah View Post

I drove my motorhome through the Eisenhower tunnel many times. I-70 is the easiest route although there's some climbs, but no dramatic curves. I actually worried more about Glenwood Canyon, because you're on a two lane bridge for 13 miles. Bad place for a flat tire.
I've also done highway 50 over monarch pass and don't recall any bad areas.
The only area I'd recommend you avoid is Highway 550 from Ouray to Durango, known as the "Million Dollar Highway". It always took my breath away, on a motorcycle!
On most two lane roads there's usually a "keep right" lane for slower cars on the uphill side.
If you want to stay south, then CO 160 from Cortez to I-25 isn't a bad choice. I haven't driven the entire distance, but I don't recall any white knuckle areas.
Be aware that any pass might have it's own weather at altitude. I never hit snow, but I have had tiny hail and sleet while in the valley it was 90 deg. in August.
Colorado does a wonderful job of keeping the roads in good condition, IMO.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Goodyear , Arizona
Us 160

We have traveled US 160 from Great Sand Dunes National Park to Four Corners, pulling our 19' Bambi with a Tacoma 6-cylinder pickup. We didn't have any problems; just went slow on the downhill side of Wolf Creek Pass. It's a really beautiful drive.
leap-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
I70 is easy and Berthoud pass is easy, I tow a 25' with an F150 ecoboost.
WadeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We've crossed Monarch, Wolf Creek and the "Ike". I would do any of them again. Wolf Creek is the southernmost, therefore closest to New Mexico which you said might be your next stop. We drag our 25' AS behind a Tundra. The best advice I can offer is take it easy going up and take it just as easy going down. In my experience it isn't the elevation that's the issue, it's the number of miles and the vertical (in other words, the grade) that wears on man and machine. Only ask of your rig what you know it can deliver comfortably. I frequently find that's 35 MPH or even less in the longest steep sections for us fully loaded for a long trip.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
I70

I70 will be the easiest and best maintained. It also has some really beautiful scenery. stopping in glenwood you can visit the natural hotsprings. there is a rest stop at the top of vail pass with a wonderful view. There are RV friendly gas stops. we use a trucker app to find them. just be careful on the downslopes. they are long and 6%. if you dont have an engine brake be sure to downshift early.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Colorado routes

Karen and I have traveled all the passes in Colorado and towed over most of them without any issue. If you are wanting to get into New Mexico and the 4 Corners area, then 160 is the way to go. Yes the passes are steep going up and down, but just take your time, watch your tranny temp and brakes. We go into manual mode and I select gears going down to match the grade. About the only time I use trailer mode is on the passes as it keeps the transmission temps cooler and helps on downshifting when needed. If you get on 160 from I25 you will have the small La Veta pass first, then Wolf Creek pass and finally Yellow Jacket pass.

Maybe it is because I have been driving in Colorado for 33 years that the passes are just part of the trip but I would not worry about any pass on the major highways. They are well maintained and monitored. Wolf Creek pass has a rest stop at the top if you need a break, TV might thank you.

We just did Monarch pass a couple of weeks ago, La Veta about a month ago and will to Wolf Creek this Thursday. Always come across another Airstream on the passes, flash lights, smile and wave! We love it. I don't have any issue pulling up the passes with the 28' Flying Cloud and the 2500 HD Chevy, gas not diesel. When you use your brakes, hit them hard and get off of them. Slow down quickly and let them cool before you need them again.

Have fun and enjoy the beautiful Colorado scenery.
dkdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
re: southern Colorado and northern New Mexico, be aware that there is a major fire in southwest CO (north of Durango) and another in southeast CO (La Veta, southwest of Walsenburg)--large ones in the 40,000 acre range--as well as several smaller fires east and southeast of Taos, NM. It is extremely dry. I don't know about the CO national forests but the national forests in northern NM are CLOSED. Be sure to check inciweb for fire info and road condition websites for hazards and closures.
SafariSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
In late April we towed our 29ft AS with a 2017 F 150 EB east to west on I70 from N Alabama to Moab UT. Easy drive at 65 mph through tunnels and grades, just pay attention to warnings.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
We lived in Montrose, Co and would highly recommend US50. Stop in Montrose over night and you will fall in love with this town. Visit Black Canyon, take a day trip on the million dollar highway to Silverton, and a day trip to Telluride. I guest you will need to stay 3 or 4 days or more. We had a 25 ft excella and f-250. Just go the speed you are comfortable with. You will regret it if you do not do the million dollar highway to Silverton better known as Depends highway.
Bob😎
Bob 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #20
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
70 to 25 to 40. Its a riddle. But 70 through Kansas is so boring I set it on cruise control and let my dog drive. 40 through new Mex and Oklahoma is so much more interesting. Split off southbound 25 to Carl's corner merging onto 40. Its easy road.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote