Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Ditto the really nice Tenn and Fla State parks as they're some of the finest we've found. Traveling E & W through TN you can find a state park every few minutes or so it seems. VA is not to be overlooked as to the quality of their parks especially in the mountains!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
I agree with the suggestion of RV Park Reviews or using Google maps and searching "campground." These seem to work best for us when we are in unfamiliar regions. I find the reviews to be mostly helpful. Make sure you also check the state parks page for each particular state and county page as some county parks are really nice! And, last but not least, I've gotten some very helpful recommendations on the Forums.

If you just looking for a quick overnight stop, we've had no problems at Flying J's or Wal-Marts. That being said, there have been one or two Wal-Marts where I expected to wake up and find graffiti on my Airstream. Just make sure you feel safe in the area. Most of the time, we are not the only RV parked in these parking lots and I generally feel better if there are other RVs around.

Have fun!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzmyrah View Post
Probably preaching to the choir but putting overnight stops in context is necessary.
I think this is an excellent point. A lot of our traveling is to far off places and we use the books for that. The night before we estimate how far we can get and get some idea of what's available. If I have wifi, I may check RV Park Reviews. On the road plans change or not and we re-check the books. On Friday or Saturday, or when going to a popular destination, we may make reservations. We watch CG's on the way to see if they are filling up early.

For destinations we are more likely to check RV Park Reviews to make sure we are in a place we want to be. Reading any reviews whether internet ones or AAA or Woodalls takes some experience in making sense of what you read. Internet reviews (just like Forums) are especially interesting to translate.

When we go close to home, we check the same sources and may know about a place because it's close to home.

Ahzmyrah's point about going to a local visitor center is a good one (especially if they have parking for RV's). Some people have a general idea where they are going and make it up as they go. That takes a different personality than ours and sometimes I wish we could travel that way, but we don't. The sources are pretty much the same though.

Some people use smart phones and air cards while they are moving to get information. We don't. The advantages are still outweighed by the expense to us. Our dumb phone works well enough for our purposes. And another context is what you are looking for. For some Walmart, Flying J and other free parking is fine. For us, after a long day on the road, we often want some amenities. Wifi especially. FS CG's and state parks would be nice sometimes, but usually they are out of the way and are more a destination than someplace to stop for the night.

Gene