Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Thanks for asking.

In the 10 years since the old thread was started, the grill market has changed, and Airstream has started putting low-pressure propane outlets on trailers from the factory.

I added a low-pressure port to mine, and use a Magma grill, with which I am well pleased. It is much more convenient and reliable to use the low-pressure port than to use the various alternatives: disposable 1-pound cylinders, Ting off the high pressure connector at the cylinders on the tongue, carrying another big cylinder, or using solid fuel.

Sorry if this is off topic but your reply made me think of 3 questions:

1) is the Magma anything like the Volcano (which can run on propane, wood or charcoal)? If so, think that could be my next grill option - we use it with charcoal but it would be fun to try on propane which I haven't yet...

2) I think the LP port (which I recently had installed) is already low pressure so are you saying it wouldn't work with the Weber Q1000 (since the 1lb tanks connect PRE-regulator and therefore the quick disconnect hose from the already regulated LP port would connect in from of the regulator)?

3) what's the longest hose I could expect to use from that LP quick disconnect port? It comes with a 4 or 5' hose but as you know, they install it street side but all your camping is done curbside so I think a 20-25' hose would let you bring the grill to where we would normally use it. But I wonder if there is some distance after which propane doesn't like to flow....

Thanks!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I use a Coleman stove/BBQ combo that does a good job.
I almost never use the stove burner tho, but got the item because of the aluminum grill. Great heat distribution.
I got fed up with those "goofy' little one pound fuel cans that cost 5 bucks in Canada; and then you have to discard them.
So I bought a 5 pound tank that cost about 5 dollars to refill. Had to refill it last year, first time in four years.
That. Four year usage paid for the cost of the tank.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Gas connection

I have a 2016 AS and has the gas port will the Q1200 connect to it?
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
We bought a Napoleon portable grill because we have the larger model at our house. We like it because it is fully warranted. You can get worn out replacement parts anytime with just paying shipping. Very sturdy (a little heavy, I guess, but not too bad) and works well.
Gillpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Ditto on the Volcano Grill, very versatile and very compact. Been using it for a year now. The storage bag gave up the ghost awhile back after being shredded by the handle for the vents. Otherwise, good stove.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Propane connection

Will these portable stoves connect to the propane port in front of coach?
The dealer insisted I buy their unit for compatibility. Any suggestions?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
Will these portable stoves connect to the propane port in front of coach?
The dealer insisted I buy their unit for compatibility. Any suggestions?
Any stove that uses low pressure LP can be connected to the LP port.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
I've made up my mind to buy the Weber Q1200 I have the Port on the front of the coach.
Will it require an extra hose for length to run it on the right side of coach in front? I found a Weber on Amazon that I will be purchasing but unsure of hose? Any Help would be appreciated I'm heading out on road soon. Regards Mike C.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I've been looking in to this a lot since I just had the port I talked as well. You have to remove the regulator on the Weber and you'll need a fairly long hose to bring it from the port in your AS to the opposite side of the trailer where you hang out. On the grill itself, you'll need to have a fitting to accept the hose from the trailer. There are tons of videos about this and even a company that sells a Weber conversion kit for exactly this purpose. The 4' hose I got with the port is both too short and doesn't terminate with a connection that would work in any circumstance for this purpose.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Gas Grill

Found 10ft gas hose and adapters on Amazon from Camco.
Problem solved. We're cooking now...
Old 05-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Webber 2200 consider nothing else
Old 05-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have the baby Q and its been through about 10 seasons so far. I bought a rollable folding Weber cart that holds the Q and its bigger brother. It works on screw on propane cylinders but I bought a 7 lb tank and hose for the gas supply. Here's a couple of pictures from the Moraine View Rally where we cook up about 10 lbs of hot dogs for the hot dog fest.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120012.JPG.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	262267   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120006.JPG.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	262268  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #33
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Sorry if this is off topic but your reply made me think of 3 questions:

1) is the Magma anything like the Volcano (which can run on propane, wood or charcoal)? If so, think that could be my next grill option - we use it with charcoal but it would be fun to try on propane which I haven't yet...
The one I have is gas only.

Quote:
2) I think the LP port (which I recently had installed) is already low pressure so are you saying it wouldn't work with the Weber Q1000 (since the 1lb tanks connect PRE-regulator and therefore the quick disconnect hose from the already regulated LP port would connect in from of the regulator)?
I don't know much about the Q1000. Most grills do not adapt well to low pressure propane. There are exceptions.

Quote:
3) what's the longest hose I could expect to use from that LP quick disconnect port? It comes with a 4 or 5' hose but as you know, they install it street side but all your camping is done curbside so I think a 20-25' hose would let you bring the grill to where we would normally use it. But I wonder if there is some distance after which propane doesn't like to flow....
I added my own LP port and it's curbside, and I use a 10' propane hose. It all works out pretty well.

The maximum distance is dependent upon the size of the grill and the diameter of the hose, but 20-25' isn't unreasonable.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I've posted this elsewhere but wanted to close the loop on this thread.

I really like my Weber Q120 and was looking forward to converting it to run off my newly installed LP port. I found a lot of information online but for the life of me couldn't find the right parts to make it work. The gas valve was looking for a particular fitting that the big box stores and other places came close, but not exact for the fitting.

Torjik makes a kit called ConvertaQ ( link here: http://torjik.com/#_convertaq ) that fit perfectly. This is definitely more expensive than buying components at a big box store but the fit here was perfect. Even better, they worked with me to create a custom hose with a 3/8" quick disconnect since that's what the rest of my setup is with the Genconnex LP conversions on my Honda generators.

They were great to work with and the kit took about 15 minutes to install. If you're a fan of your Q and want to run it off your LP port, check them out.

To be clear - I'm not affiliated with these guys at all, I paid full price for my kit and I'm not compensated by them in any way. I'm just so dang happy I finally got what I needed I'm psyched to share the info! 😀
Old 04-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cherry Log , Georgia
LP Gas service port on 16'

Are you grillers attaching / using the LPG port on your Airstream?
Goingcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingcamping View Post
Are you grillers attaching / using the LPG port on your Airstream?

I use my port with a 10 ft hose wish hose was a bit longer. I also have a Weber Q1200 and love it!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We have a Weber Q1200 and I carry a 20 lb bottle of propane. We like sitting the little beast right on the picnic table. I haul the Q in a big Tupperware bin, slide it in on the floor of the back of the crew cab with the seats up.

Got the Weber 6501 Adapter Hose off Amazon.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ill-20888.html

We have an O'Grill. Lightweight, good sized cooking surface and it grills great. My brother-in-law has the Weber. Its good to but bulkier.

Kelvin

I'd second the 0-Grill. We've had ours for 3 years and has worked like a champ.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #39
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Oh boy---start a thread asking what is 'best' , whether it's tow vehicle, hitch, gas grill, bedding options--you are really asking for it Always keep in mind that mostly, the answers you will receive are not what is 'best', but simply what others are using. There certainly is very little empirical evidence any one person has to compare various iterations.

So having said that...I have a Weber Q...great little grill, with the quality of their larger ones. Even heat, no flareups. I even roasted a prime rib in mine. Runs on 1 lb propane bottles but can be converted to run on the trailer's low pressure port or a larger LP cylinder. Not too say other models don't perform as well or better, I don't know because I have...a Weber Q! I can vouch for it, but can't claim it's the best.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Pompano Beach , Florida
Thanks for this, I love it!
PapaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote