1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Joseph , Oregon
You would use the overdrive on the highway, even when towing as long as your transmition is not shifting back and forth. Then you would want to take overdrive off or down shift. I think even as good as the new auto. transmitions are you would want to pay attention to the shifting mode so you do not over heat the trany and down shift if need be.
This is why we like the 6 speed manual, it has alot more pulling power off the line and you are the one in control of shifting so less likely you will burn up your transmition. We have a chip in ours and we can pull a hill with a loaded trailer and not loose to many rpm. The down fall of a manual is you have to shift when in any kind of traffic. Which can be a pain. We live pretty far out in the country and this is not much of a problem but when we go to the city and are stuck in traffic, it sure can be frustrating.

trea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Originally Posted by trea
Not being an automatic owner but knowing a little about alot. My under standing is when towing you should have the overdrive off, even when not towing if in town it should also be off. One thing that is of help with folks that have automatics, a transmition temp guage is highly recomended. The last thing you would want to do is over heat your trans.

Larry and Nicole
Hi, no you don't want to overheat anything. As for the overdrive missconceptions; I explain it this way. Your transmission knows when to shift and how to shift. For the most part you don't need to do anything. People say, "turn off the overdrive when going slow" well if you are going slow enough, it will not shift into overdrive. So why turn it off? If you are towing and going up a long steep grade, you may want to turn off the overdrive and / or manually downshift to hold a good steady speed and engine RPM. Now going down the other side of this grade, you should do the same thing. turn off the overdrive and or Manually down shift to let the engine help slow you down and save your brakes. [another frequently overheated item.]
Overdrive Test: Set your cruise control at 65mph and let it go. It will downshift if necessary to climb that hill and up shift when done climbing. And you can manually downshift while going down hill to save your brakes.

ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Hey ALANSD, great links to the diesel-ford websites! Thinking I should hold off till the 6.4 08s come out early next year. Sounds like they tried to completely redesign to avoid the problems of the 6.0 PSD. Also I like the F150 type interior of the new Superdutys.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #47
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have a 99 F250 and it has been very good. No problems to report with the 7.3 engine after 108,000 miles. The paint and interior have held up very well.

If I were in your shoes, I'd either go with the last 7.3 engine trucks in the '02 or '03, or the very latest 6.0 engines in late '06. If used, find one with a clean repair history and one which has been well cared for.

Personally I'd wait a year or two on the new 6.4s. The 6.0 was supposed to address the "issues" of the 7.3 and we all know what happened with the first couple years of that engine.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Good point TPI.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 AM   #49
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
OD on or off

I think the OD on off argument comes mainly from the smaller gas engined vehicles. People were towing over, at or very near capacity on these lighter cars and trucks that were not really designed for towing. In many of those cases they did destroy transmissions by overheating. In the case of my PSD if I turn the OD off I would be limited to a maximum of 55mph towing because of my RPM range. My V-6 F150 was a different story, the manual called for the overdrive to be turned off when towing. That truck was equipped with the factory towing package which included oversized radiator, auxillary transmisson cooler and oil coolers.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote