Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Best Locally Owned Restaurants,Cafes,Diners,Shacks

As we travel down the road I am always looking for a great and unique place for breakfasts or lunch. For me, great means locally owned, (not a national chain or franchise) and unique can mean a place with a cool history or unique menu offerings. The other requirement to make this list is friendly RV/Trailer parking.
Here are 2 spots Joe and I would recommend:

1) Shealy's BBQ, Batesburg-Leesville, SC (they had fried chicken gizzards, yum!)
2) Brown Derby II, Orangeburg, SC (don't let the outside area fool you, best fried chicken)

It would be awesome to hear about other fabulous food finds from the road.
Ready. Set. Go!

Annette
Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The Shed BBQ and Blues, exit 57, I10, Ocean Springs, MS. These folks are tearing up the BBQ contest circuit all over the country. Funky place built and rebuilt several times from what ever is handy. They are loosely connected to an old run down trailer park. So plenty of easy access RV parking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	242798  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
OK, there is a place that has delicious breakfasts in Santa Rosa FL that I visited when at the Can Opener that a local told me about but I cannot remember the name. Help me out Can Opener peeps!

FOUND IT! The Donut Hole. Very good. Very busy.

In Bonita Springs, FL near Naples, I would recommend Skillets in a shopping center right off Bonita Beach Road near the US41 intersection northwest side. I do not know if they are a chain but they have excellent wholesome breakfasts. My favorite is the French Omelet with Goat cheese.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Speaking of Canopener, while there check out the food court in Seaside. Several excellent little Airstream eateries located in the middle of town.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
When in California and heading north to Oregon.... the last incorporated town along Interstate 5 is Yreka... while there here are a few great places to stop and eat (depending on what you want...) Lunch: Klander's Deli (don't let the outside appearance fool you, great sandwiches) or Linda's Soup Cafe (great homemade soup and sandwiches) at the shopping center at the south end of town.

When looking for goodies... try Bella Arts and their old fashioned ice cream parlor area, or the Shasta Chocolate Emporium just a block from Bella Arts. Both are in the National Historic District.... yum!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
There is a breakfast joint in Cherokee right outside the Smokies and within walking distance of the Pink Motel called Pete's. You need to have breakfast there. And show up early. It's jammed packed by 8am.

In Clearwater, you need to eat breakfast at a place called Lenny's. It's next to US-19.

I feel that franchises just water down whatever culture and local flavor is left in America. And turn everything into blandness. Places like Applebee's serve the same crap in all 50 states. So I made it a purpose that when we treat ourselves to eating out, we do so only at locally owned restaurants.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
he Shed

We've been to The Shed several times, it's probably one of the best BBQ joints along the Gulf Coast! They're chicken is good, but the pulled pork is outstanding!
For whatever it's worth.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
The Shed BBQ and Blues, exit 57, I10, Ocean Springs, MS. These folks are tearing up the BBQ contest circuit all over the country. Funky place built and rebuilt several times from what ever is handy. They are loosely connected to an old run down trailer park. So plenty of easy access RV parking.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
When in amish country look for small restrnts. w/horses and buggies parked outside. Food is home made, no junk and very good. Have never found bad one. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Good eats

3 places quickly come to mind from our recent trip. Milts' Stop and Eat in Moab Utah for great milkshakes and burgers, Twin Rocks Trading Post and Cafe in Bluff UTAH; try the Navajo burger with frybread bun and the Peaches de Chilly for dessert. And lastly in St. GEORGE UTAH there is a family business that makes wood fire pizza out of a little trailer right on the main drag through town. If you like pizza do not miss it.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
The Food Network has a program named "Diners, Drive-in's & Dives" which features local eateries. You can get a list of them at Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives Locations List - State & City Map Guide

For those that use Basecamp for Garmin GPS units, you can find a GPX file with all the waypoints at POI Factory along with a CSV file.

Other shows may also have lists and GPX files.

Another place to visit is Roadfood.com - Your Guide to Authentic Regional Eats

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida

If you're in Jackson Hole WY, Bend or Hood River OR, try the New York City Sub Shop. Outstanding hot off the grill subs on their own great fresh baked sub bread.

And yes, the owner IS from NYC.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
There is a small place hidden behind a surf shop in St. Augustine, FL called Stir It Up. They have awesome burritos, quesadillas, sandwiches, and smoothies made from local ingredients. We always eat there a few times whenever we visit the area. Stir It Up | Positive Food, In a Positive Place. St Augustine Beach, Local, Organic, Fresh.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Cafe general store--Natchez Trace

Old Country Store and Restaurant in Lorman MS after RVing down the Natchez Trace. Great people, atmosphere, and the best fried chicken, salad bar, potato salad, and cobbler. Get there early,(by 11am) so skip breakfast if necessary!

http://www.natcheztracetravel.com/natchez-trace-youtube-videos/562-old-country-store-restaurant-lorman-ms.html
camlivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Second the Country Store in Lorman. And the owner can belt out a beautiful Ave Maria, in Latin while serving up more variations of "greens" that I knew existed.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Great thred Annette! Dinah's in Los Angeles. 6521 Sepulveda blvd. Best fried chicken and deep dish apple pancakes. This place hasn't changed since the fifties. The last time I was there was in 1998 before I moved to D.C.... This thred is making me hungry.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Azteca in Clewiston, FL

Whenever I'm crossing Florida by bouncing off the south end of Lake Okeechobee, I grab some pastor tacos at the Azteca Market in Clewiston. Wow are they good! This is old-school Mexico here... none of that Tex-Mex stuff like hard shells, lettuce or cheese!

There are a few shut-down businesses around it, so RV parking is a breeze. They're behind the NAPA store, near the east end of town: 114 North San Jose Street, Clewiston, FL 33440

Here's my curated list from all over Florida:

East Florida: http://goo.gl/maps/uVm3W
West Florida: http://goo.gl/maps/0FSVo
Miami-Dade: http://goo.gl/maps/DyDht
Broward: http://goo.gl/maps/dirvD
Palm Beach: http://goo.gl/maps/Wugt3
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
When in Marathon, Texas (gateway to Big Bend), hit the Marathon Coffee Shop. Right on Highway 90, easy parking all around, interesting place with good food.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario

I had a health dinner here tonight. Chicken burger, hamburger, fries, and only a small chocolate shake. Bunch of MGBs, a Tiger, and an XJ6 all gathered for a chat. Bedford, NS. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436832103.375135.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	242901

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
In Taos, NM: Michael's Bakery and Cafe. Sopapillas to die for, brought to your table with the meal.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote