Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Airstreamin' in Canada

1973 27' Overlander
Waterdown , Ontario
Best Item for our old Airstream

Just picked up a '73 Overlander. Quick question for all the folks who have Airstreamed for a while:

What items have you picked up that have made camping either easier or more enjoyable?
mlang905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
I'll assume you have a perfectly functioning Airstream. If you don't have one already, I'd suggest getting a new awning.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I have a 62 model, my kitchen works fine, but I plan to carry along a cooks essentials pot for cooking browning whatever I need... since I am a little nervous on using my gas stove...
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama

My Dometic was validated to cool three cases comfortably during the check-out.

When out with the family, I carry considerably less.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Seriously, a well-functioning Airstream is all I need. The installation of a weather radio, though, made my wife more comfortable, and DVDs for the Boyz (should rain keep us indoors) makes camping easier.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Our BBQ is always the best addition. We love doing almost all of our cooking outdoors and the BBQ (propane) makes life so simple and pleasureable. OK, that and two very comfortable lounge chairs.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
With out a doubt, flannel flamingo sheets

Name:   nick-n-nora.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  14.6 KB
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
With out a doubt, flannel flamingo sheets
Attachment 33246
Okay, now where did you get those sheets.
Thanks,
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
Thanks,
Neil.
They were available from Target Stores and may still be but were on clearance the last time we looked. They come up on EBAY often for considerably more $$$$. They have flannel PJ's too. You may look online at Target.com.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A full tank of water works wonders.

Drink, shower, wash dishes....and to conserve the drinking water, I bring one of those collapseable 5 gallon water thingies so that washing hands and such can be done without taking up the limited fresh water supply.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
Thanks,
Neil.
Target : Nick & Nora Flamingo Flannel Sheet Sets

There is the link for you - $29.99 and in stock.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Actually I think the perfect thing for anyone with a new to them Airstream is probably a Tow Vehicle!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good Disposables

Good paper towels (double as napkins, heavy duty kleenex, even filters for sink drains so coffee grounds, etc. don't go down the drain into the gray tank). Good disposable dishes for picnics, boondocking... to save water usage.

Paula Ford

Living small - learning not to buy crap to fill every nook and cranny.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I opt for the Electric/LP water heater and a small electric frig. that should fit into your 27 footer. They take away a lot of worries when camping where you have a hook-up or a generator. I think my husband would vote for the electric jack.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
A couple of extra blankets, long pants and sweatshirts or jackets. Leave them in the Airstream year-round. Chilly nights and mornings can sneak up on you.

Yoo Hoo (the "chocolate" drink"), Gatorade and juice boxes. Our kids can get dehydrated because they don't always remember to drink when it's hot out but they love Yoo Hoo and drink 2 or 3 a day. We keep it in the Airstream all the time but not in the house. It is one of our "camping treats".

Mrs. RedShed
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy

Depending on your part of the country....my wife bought ours for those Christmas in July cool mountain escape weekends....... purchased a couple of weeks ago at our local target on clearance $18. Queen Set.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
Vancouver , Washington
Essential AS gear

A simple wine opener.
jonyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Best Item for our old Airstream

Greetings mlang905!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang905
Just picked up a '73 Overlander. Quick question for all the folks who have Airstreamed for a while:

What items have you picked up that have made camping either easier or more enjoyable?
I have to admit that choosing the one or two best additions is hard. The following are items that I use on nearly every trip:
  • ZIP Dee curbside and window awnings. These are great comfort factors -- the curbside patio awning is so much more attractive and easier to deploy than the original A & E Travel Awn.
  • Woven plastic mat (purchased from a regular vendor at WBCCI International Rally) that helps to reduce sand and other debris that is tracked into coach.
  • Hard flooring material (Armstrong Laminate in Minuet and industrial grade Congoleum seamless sheet vinyl in the Overlander) -- easier to maintain than the carpet particularly with two Chihuahuas playing in the coach.
  • "Bat Wing" television antenna with amplifier. My typical day at school stretches beyond 12-hours so I don't get much opportunity to watch TV during the school year -- these antennas provide excellent reception (in my experience, far superior to those that were available from the factory on either my Overlander or Minuet).
  • Portable DirecTV receiver. I rarely use this on shorter trecks, but if I am planning to stay in one place for three or more days it is a must pack.
  • One of my most valuable additions to my tow vehicle has been a six-disk CD changer -- I set it for shuffle and enjoy music from a very varied list:
    • Nuclear Whales Saxophone Orchestra -- It is amazing what a variety of voices that nine different saxophones can produce.
    • Paul Revere and His Raiders -- Always try to be sure to include the album with Me and My SS 396 and Corvair Baby.
    • America -- at least one of the several albums in my carry case.
    • The Andrews Sisters Greatest Hits.
    • Bachman Turner Overdrive -- at least one of the several albums in my carry case.
    • The Beach Boys -- at least one of the several albums in my carry case.
  • AC/DC television with either VHS or DVD player -- this is another of my near must haves for travel -- either is accompanied by several of my favorite Vintage movies such as:
    • The Long, Long Trailer with Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz
    • Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation with James Stewart & Maureen O'Hara.
    • RV with Robin Williams
    • Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House with Cary Grant & Myrna Loy.
    • It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World with its fantastic ensemble cast of comedians.
    • Yours, Mine and Ours with Lucille Ball & Henry Fonda
    • Yours, Mine and Ours with Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo
    • Two or three selections from the Doris Day romatic comedies of the 1950s and 1960s.
    • Three or four selections from the Lucille Ball features from the late 1930s through the late 1960s.
    • Classic television shows such as:
      • I Love Lucy
      • The Lucy Show
      • Here's Lucy
      • Leave It To Beaver
      • The Doris Day Show
      • Hazel
    • WBCCI Caravan movies -- these were offered for sale at the Airstream factory store in Jackson Center as well at at the factory store tent at WBCCI International Rallys.
  • Classic White Mountain Hand Cranked Ice Cream Freezer (with metal cannister, heavy duty metal gears and wooden paddles) -- great for the potlucks that are a part of many rallys (I hate to admit it, but I have three of these that I often carry when attending major rallys -- to make French Vanilla Custard ice cream (an old family recipe from my grandparents farm), Tripple Chocolate Custard ice cream, and fresh fruit sorbet.
  • Triple Flag holder for tongue jack -- it is a rare camping stop that doesn't see me flying the US Flag, the state of IL or WI flag, and my VAC flag -- the most awkward part is finding a place to keep the poles when traveling in the Minuet with the Eldorad as tow vehicle.
  • WBCCI handbook to lookup the membership numbers I see while traveling -- it is amazing how often I run across friends from the many rallys that I have attended or carvans that I have traveled with.
  • Electronic photo album that contains thousands of digital photos from my past ten years of travel -- often have one playing during Vintage Open Houses that chronicles the WBCCI International Rally in Dayton, OH (1999) where I was the unofficial VAC photo bug in the Vintage parking area and at the Bicycle Towing Demonstration.
  • My traveling Chihuahuas -- a trip just isn't the same if they aren't traveling with me (I have traveled with Chihuahuas all of my life, and they provide their own form of entertainement).
  • Fitted dishpans that completely fill the sink basin but do not extend above its top edge -- these are hard to find, but I have managed to find a pair that fits perfectly in my Overlander as well as another pair that fits perfectly in my Minuet.
  • Fitted maple cutting board -- I don't know where I acquired these, but they have vinyl coated metal arms that extend from either side and suspend the cutting board over the sink opening at just a 1/4" higher than the surrounding counter.
  • Set of Leg-O-Matic chairs that are fitted to a compartment in the Overlander's 3/4-height wardrobe and match the original drop-leaf dining table (I did have it upgraded with a solid oak top as a replacement for the beige formica top that it had from the factory).
I have been RVing since 1969 when my parents purchased our first truck camper. My Airstream Overlander was acquired in 1995 and I have had the Minuet for about 3.5 years. As a teacher in a school district with a traditional schedule, I am free to travel eight or more weeks during most summers. I hope that you enjoy your Overlander as much as I have enjoyed mine -- I suspect that it will be with me as long as I am able to travel.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Kevin, that must be one tightly packed Minuet!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy

Thank you. I just showed them to Lynn and to my surprise she loves them. I am surprised because she hates flamingos. Does this mean she has become a 'true' Streamer?!
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote