Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Old School Young Gun
Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Best Campgrounds In IL, IN, MO, KY area

Hey guys! I couldnt fit all the places in my title lol. I live in Illinois about a half hour from Indiana and about 3 hours from Kentucky to give you a visual. Southeastern Illinois! My gf wants to take me and our AS camping for my birthday! Iv only been camping a few times and at the same place so I dont know where any campgrounds are lol. If you guys have a secret spot where camping is always exciting, lemme know! As long as its not halfway across the country lol. Thanks guys!

No Airstream Yet...
ElCamino Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I liked Kickapoo State Park near Danville, IL.

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Moraine view state park in Leroy is very nice, and there's a great rally there the second weekend in June every year. Watch the Forums for more info.

Mississippi palisades state park on the river south of galena is a great spot, as well.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
New Harmony State Park in New Harmony, Indiana is a nice park and a nice area to visit and tour, and shouldn't be too far from you.

DNR: Harmonie State Park

damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Best Campgrounds In IL, IN, MO, KY area

Greetings ElCamino Man!

There are a number of interesting places to camp in Southern Illinois. Among my favorites are:
  • Giant City State Park -- campground
    • Located just South of Carbondale, Illinois, there are entrances accessible from IL 13 in Carbondale as well as from Makanda off of US 51.
    • The park has a lodge dating to the WPA days, and they feature excellent food and are renowned for their family-style fried chicken dinners . . . my favorite is their filet mingnon.
    • The Southern Illinois Wine Trail runs along the park's borders and offers a number of interesting wineries.
    • The Bald Knob Cross of Peace is just a few miles away in Alto Pass, IL.
    • There is (or was?) a concession in the park where you could rent a horse to tour the park's many trails.
  • Whittington Woods Campground -- Whittington, IL
    • Whittington is just a couple of miles off of I-57 about 8 miles North of Benton, IL.
    • Rend Lake and Lake of Egypt are both in close proximity to the park.
    • The park features level, shaded sites that are far enough apart that you have that "lost in the woods" feeling.
  • Kenlake State Park -- Campground -- Aurora, KY
    • Located near Aurora, KY, Kenlake State Park offers a serene setting that is along the shores of Kentucky Lake.
    • The area features a large array of antique shops as well as the typical tourist gift shops.
    • Boating, fishing, swimming and hiking are all activities that are in close proximity to the park.
    • The park features a lodge with a dining room that serves excellent food. Brunch/Lunch buffets are a weekend attraction, and the Sunday Brunch Buffet shouldn't be missed IMHO.
  • Parker Crossroads RV Park and Campground -- Yuma, TN
    • Located just a few miles off of I-40, this campground has a full array of activities, and most sites are pull-throughs with 50-AMP service.
    • The hosts are exceptionally accommodating, and strive to make certain that your stay is a pleasure.
    • Most sites have good shade and are quite level.
    • This is a park that I like to try to have on my summer's itinerary at least two or three times.
  • Devil's Backbone Park -- Grand Tower, IL
    • This park is located in the small town of Grand Tower, IL on a site overlooking the Mississippi River. Grand Tower is on IL Route 3 about 18 miles North/Northwest of Jonesboro, IL
    • The park is small and the hosts are very friendly and helpful.
    • The nightly rate is reasonable and the site size is comparatively generous.
  • Randolph County State Recreation Area -- Camping -- Chester, IL
    • Located near Chester, IL (Popeye's Hometown), and the Mississippi River.
    • Sites are mostly shaded and quite level.
    • The park is peaceful yet near the hiking, trail rides, and other outdoor activities prominent in this region.
The above mentioned campgrounds are among my favorites in this region.

Enjoy your adventure!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
If you're looking to get out of Illinois, Mammoth Cave National Park is just a few miles off I-65 and a great campground near the "Historic Entrance" to the cave. Although this may be farther than you're thinking - but you did say Kentucky! Check here Camping - Mammoth Cave National Park for details. Shady, nice time of the year, no hook-ups but you can test your systems and "boon-docking" skills near everything you need in walking distance. And, they have a dump station for when you leave.
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
I agree with Kevin, Whittingwoods is a great campground. The owners live on site and have a large garden and chicken coop. It is not unusual for the owner to hand out free eggs to campers.

Also any of the campgrounds around the land between the lakes area are nice.

One of my favorites, off the beaten path is, Columbus Belmont State Park in Columbus, Ky. On a ridge overlooking the Mississippi River. Columbus was an old railroad town and very interesting if you like trains. There is a big Civil War Re-enactment at the park in October that is also very well done. Here is a link to their site. Civil War Days at Columbus - Columbus, KY - Civil War Festivals & Events, Kentucky

fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Old School Young Gun
Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
That Devils Backbone Park looks awesome! I love sitting next to rivers lol
No Airstream Yet...
ElCamino Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2012 22' FB Sport
Columbus , Indiana
The Red River Gorge in the Daniel Boone National Forest near Winchester Ky is a great area with lots of natural arches and rock houses.

Shari & Greg
Fam-Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote