Old 12-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
I drive lots of miles, love to just cruise along, listening to old radio shows or audio books, but primarily I do three week trips with specific locations, such as Route 66, a place I have friends, or another venue which has great appeal.

If I were headed out for six months I believe I would do a huge Internet search, watch tons of travel videos, then decide where I want to spend my stops. A three full day stop would be a minimum as I like to meet the people and do some snapshots. My experience suggests to me, just being in a small town anywhere and interacting with the people for several days is as good as seeing great natural sites, e.g., Grand Canyon, etc., and can be mixed in to a tour to add a real picture of the USA.

Do your research and when planning begins another thing you may wish to check out is guest accommodations of forum members as this would add to the overall personal interactions of your trip.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
Some friends of ours travel with their Airstream to do Habitat for Humanity builds. Here's a link to the thread with information on how to participate.

karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Originally Posted by tarpon85 View Post
Don't know how to deal with mail at this point. I think there are forwarding services available.

Would be great to rendezvous with some Airstream clubs/trips along the way.

First off, you’re going to have a blast! Second, don’t stick to an agenda... a general idea of the state and maybe attractions perhaps but leave the specifics to what fires you up at the time. Anotherwords, how you feel in the Smokey Mountains may be different than time spent gazing out at the Caribbean from the coast... Also, from keeping an eye on the forums, you’ll for sure find a rally or two to join up with and you never know what places you’ll learn about from those there that may send you off to a new location for a few days. Or weeks...

We sold our house in Austin, TX & everything in it several years ago and took off on the road. Traveled all over the country with only the homes of friends and relatives being the real “specific” locations we knew we’d have to go to. Everything else was up for grabs. We did have trips and places mapped out for at least a month or two ahead and pretty much decided where to go, on the go.

We use Escapees Club (Escapees RV Club), as our mail forwarding service and in 5 + years, we’ve not had one problem with them. They also have RV parks around the country that are good to use with great prices. They’re very easy to use and when you call from say, Tucson, AZ and ask them to forward your mail to you, you’ll get it within 3 days. 4 max. They can overnight (for more $$), if you need.

Take your time, Tom, now that you have it. Remember, every day is Saturday, every night is Friday...
Bill & Kim
34’ Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Something I have found very useful is to write or EM the State tourism department that I plan on going to or through. They are a great resource and will send a 2 pound package of places to see and things to do. Some have provided RV parks and camping sites as well.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
This sounds like a great adventure Tom - please keep us up-to-date on your travels! I think Msmoto made a great point and I agree - taking the time to immerse yourself in the small towns can be as rewarding and memorable as viewing the big parks. Right now we're sitting down to a nice lunch in Springdale, UT just outside of Zion. We've visited Springdale a couple times now and have become friends with the shop owner at a great clothing store (Simply Birkenstock) in this small town. Taking the time to just sit inside a restaurant (Wildcat Willies) street window, eating good food and watching travelers drive by is a wonderful luxury - not being in a rush to keep a schedule. We love to meet and talk up new friends who can give a better feel of the local scene better than a brochure.

Oh, just an aside - yesterday we met a woman in the campground office who was scoping out Snow Canyon for a future visit. She said she had a nice 40-foot RV and said a couple couldn't live more than six months out on the road due to the space and amenities restrictions of an Airstream. It's nice to read of the many who have and are proving her wrong every month and every year that goes by. Let us know how it goes Tom!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00941.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	228601  
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is a YouTube blog by a couple from Alabama who have traveled extensively with their Ford 250 and 25' Airstream all over from Key West to Bar Harbor to Alaska to the Grand Canyon. Watch some of their video reviews. Do a YouTube search for The Walkabout Group or The Long Long Honeymoon. I will someday visit some of the places they recommend.

2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote