Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Beartooth Highway

I am considering this roadway east to west, from Red Lodge, MT into Yellowstone mid July next year. I am pulling a 30' Bunkhouse with a diesel Excursion.

I can go around, but I hear this is a spectacular route, a real challenge to RVs however.

Does anyone have any experience with this route.

Thank you.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not with a trailer. Have done it a couple of times with the TV. It is spectacular. It is steep and tight. There are campgrounds on the Yellowstone side but nowhere near the ridge. It is not a road I would pull on just for the fun of it. Maybe camp near it and do it with the TV first and then decide whether you just have to pull over it to see if you can. I am pretty sure you will hold up some traffic.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thank you for your reply. Very helpfull.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I know people have done it, and I've considered it, but I'd be cautious. There are some extremely sharp switchbacks that could be a problem with long rigs. Fortunately, there are plenty of turnouts that you can pull off to let traffic by. That takes some of the pressure off.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Our daughter used to live in Red Lodge and we've made the trek to Cook City several times, but don't even think about it in a trailer. Some of the turn radii are tight on a long bed pickup, never mind the TT. (And did you say 30' ??? no way.) The scenery is spectacular - as in only about 3 feet separating you from eternity...

Camp at the KOA south of Red Lodge - new owners this year. Seem like good folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9160065.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	227801  
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Looks like I will go through the Bighorn NF down into Cody instead. It's hard to tell from the maps how challenging the roads are.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Whoops. The KOA is NORTH of town, between Red Lodge and Roberts, east of the highway on Rock Creek.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We've taken the Beartooth out of Yellowstone heading east and turned off onto Crandall road that leads to the Dead Indian Hill. We have a Dodge diesel p/u and pull a 30'er. The road up Dead Indian Hill is plenty wide and while it is a steep incline and my truck had to work that trip it was not a bad ride at all. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I has out that way. If you've gotten there from Mass. you have been already through much of what you'll find out there. Take your time and enjoy a break when you get to the top of the hills and let your truck cool down. If any part is stressful it's the downhill runs so take it easy going down.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have been down it (not going up from Red Lodge) several times, once in my 310 motorhome, and twice or more with my 20' Argosy. I think it is a fun run, and would not be scared at all to take any Airstream of any size over it.

But if you are not comfortable, then do as suggested, leave the trailer at a campground and do it in the tow vehicle, but by all means, do it. It is a nice ride.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Beartooth Highway

Ted S.
We too are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer. We will be going in from Cody as we will have family there that we will be meeting up with.
We found a great article that you might want to review about all the entrances to Yellowstone and suggested routes for Motorhomes/RVs.

Road to Yellowstone

Hope you have a great trip.

Tom & Deborah
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
The Road Less Traveled

2005 25' Safari
Mesquite , Nevada
I'm not savvy enough with the html addresses to give you a direct link, but there is a discussion plus a video in: On the Road, 08-16-2013, 11:41PM, The Beartooth Highway Montana/Wyoming. On page 20. We had a great drive over the pass that summer, but it might be a problem for a larger Airstream - ours is a 25FB.
DHC-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Ted: It's not that difficult but has it's challenges. Like everything, what looks difficult to you at your end looks completely different to us who are out here. I mean no disrespect by that comment - it's simply different when one lives here in Montana (or the West) and has experience with these highways and conditions as a matter of course. I think you're wise to ask for some advice, but remember, you may get the perspectives of those who may have only one experience over that highway as well as some who may have done it many times.

Here's one tip: Look at some of Dumpster's threads - I think he has one or two with pictures of his AS over the road, and he camps in Yellowstone every year and I think that's his preferred route. One of Dump's threads relates how he handled a wheel coming off his Airstream, on the Beartooth. IIRC after he fixed it, he took it back across. All in all, the road is built to pretty good road standards, going up and down, with mostly wide switchbacks - after all, it gets lots of first time tourist use in all kinds of vehicles. If you google the topic and "images" you'll see lots of pictures of the highway, which just looking at them will give you a good idea of what the road looks like. You'll see some of winter clearing - check when you get out here - the pass doesn't open until around Memorial Day or after - so check at Wyoming rest stops (like near Sheridan or Buffalo, if coming from the East) if you plan an early summer trip, to insure it is actually open for the year.

What hasn't been mentioned here, so far, is that you go very high in altitude - almost 11,000 feet at the top of the pass. So, the second tip: If it were me going over, high on my list would be the weather and weather forecast - what you might see at the bottom may not be the conditions at the top. And, remember, the weather out here generally goes from west to east, so if you are coming from the east, check to see if there are t'storms in the Park (or, the wx forecast West of the Beartooth) because at that elevation, rain could be sleet, hail or even snow. That would be my single, biggest go/no-go factor for a "good Beartooth experience," even if you are NOT towing.

Enjoy the trip, however you end up doing it - it's not called an "All American Road" for nothing. It will open up some spectacular country for you.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Ted: It's not that difficult but has it's challenges. Like everything, what looks difficult to you at your end looks completely different to us who are out here. I mean no disrespect by that comment - it's simply different when one lives here in Montana (or the West) and has experience with these highways and conditions as a matter of course.
The problem is I am just old and scared, with little ones on board I would never put in harms way.

...aside from that, I am a former Hotshot form the Bitterroot NF, passed on Smokejumping to have a family back here on the east coast...now I'm soft...
Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
The problem is I am just old and scared, with little ones on board I would never put in harms way.

...aside from that, I am a former Hotshot form the Bitterroot NF, passed on Smokejumping to have a family back here on the east coast...now I'm soft...
Montanans do it all the time ... but with a 30' you are taking on a challenge! Be prepared for weather as it changes hourly... still snow up on top the first week of July. Best viewed from the seat of a BMW two wheeler!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
This isn't a "problem" - it's remembering all you learned in fire - and so you're just remembering one of those conditions "...that shout, watch out!"

Your experience will come back quickly. Whatever you decide and wherever you go when you get back home to Montana, the kiddies will enjoy seeing your past - don't forget to take them to the SJ loft at the MSO airport - it's a great little museum including 'shots and helitack. Heck, you might even be in it!

Enjoy your trip - bring your White's with you - it might be a "good fire year" (I'm sure you remember that term) and maybe you can get on in one of those "soft" overhead jobs as a contractor! Let us know - Mefly2 or me - if we can help in any way.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go over 16 in the Bighorn NF, that's the plan anyway. I may get out there and go a different way. My thought is we will be in Yellowstone, so no reason to go crazy getting there. I'm going to scope some boondocking locations on 16.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
If you'd like I can help you with boondocking sites in the Bighorns, or if you prefer, I can provide courtesy parking just outside of Buffalo, WY.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I often drive in, and through, Yellowstone during the summer.

While I would never consider towing over the Beartooths myself, or over Mt. Washburn for that matter, I just wish that all of you guys that do so (or anyone driving or towing an RV in the Park) would please use the pull outs whenever you are going less than the posted speed limits with another vehicle behind you.

There is nothing more irritating than to get behind a person going 25 mph for miles on end in a 45 mph zone. Nothing except the SOB's that stop their vehicles in the middle of the road, rather than pulling off, to take a picture of a bison, or another commonly seen animal.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Somehow if I were to force a slow down on one of America's most scenic roadways such as the Beartooth I think that once the road rage passes people would actually thank me.....?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not so much. 4000 of us live and work in Yellowstone during the season. In my case, a grocery run is down to Cody at about 80 miles. Once I get my "town stuff" done, it is 80 miles back with my ice chest full of groceries and ice. Add in a few assorted "critter jams" and some pokey folks and the whole day is shot.

Trust me, there are far better things to do inYNP than spend the day crawling around the park.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote