Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Bear Mountain State Park , NY

We will be attending a wedding at Bear Mountain in June . Does anyone know the rv parking situation at the Inn and also if there are any campgrounds near the park ? Thanks
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
We will be attending a wedding at Bear Mountain in June . Does anyone know the rv parking situation at the Inn and also if there are any campgrounds near the park ? Thanks
There is a nice campground ( Croton on Hudson park ) about 6 miles away from Bear Mountain. Full hookup is $35 per night.Croton Point Park
PO Box 64
Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520
914-862-5290 or 5291
Train station to NY city is a walking distance to the campground.
Towing Directions form George Washington bridge: Take I-95 North to 287 West. Get off Exit 2 (Elmsford Route 9A North) 9A North will merge with 9 North. Take the Croton Point Avenue Exit toward Croton Harmon Station. Continue straight Over the Bridge into Croton Point Park.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Westchestergov.com - Croton Point Park

Check the link above for Croton point campground and a point of correction, its 16 miles to Bear Mountain Inn not 6 miles as earlier mentioned.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
if you're overniting, Josh's suggestion for Croton Park is a good one.

as to parking your AS at the Bear Mountain Inn, itself, there's a large lot on the south side of the Inn, and a second, smaller, lot to the south and west of the main lot.

iirc, I don't remember ever seeing RV's or buses in either of those two lots, but I'm pretty sure that they'll have a place for you. otherwise, those lots fill up pretty quickly most summer weekends....

so I'd reach out to the Inn @ 845-786-2731, or Bear Mountain Inn,

or Park HQ directly on 845-786-2701. more details also at Bear Mountain State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

it's a wonderful place for a wedding!

have a great time!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BearMountainTrailMap.pdf (1.72 MB, 53 views)

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just wanted to second the point that the parking lots at Bear Mountain fill up quickly in the summer.

Something else to keep in mind - you need to plan your approach carefully as trailers aren't allowed on the Palisades Parkway. The tow up Route 6 on the other side of the Hudson river to Bear Mountain Bridge is a twisty climb and drop.

Funny - I lived for years in Croton-on-Hudson and never realized there was RV camping at Croton Point. (Not like I had my trailer then, but...)

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
good morning, Tom,

I'm going to cautiously disagree with your point about trailers not being allowed on the PIP, as I have towed many times on both the NY section, and the NJ section without issue. yes, it's possible that "I've gotten away with it" but my luck isn't usually that good for this long.... "

part of the confusion about what type or class of vehicle you can operate on the PIP arises from the fact that the relevant regulations are based in two different states, and some restrictions are narrowed down to parts, and not all of the roadway.

in NJ the signs say "PARKWAY for AUTOMOBILES and MOTORCYCLES ONLY. NO COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC."

in NY State, the signs generally say "PASSENGER CARS ONLY, though I am told (and I have seen) that now you can legally operate a commercially tagged vehicle of limited weight (like a 3/4 ton van or pickup) north of Exit 5 in Orangeburgh, NY.

that would be consistent with the signage for the PIP Exits leading to the smaller Parkways (7 Lakes Drive, etc.) saying "No Trucks" and "Passenger Cars Only".

when I was a teenager, you couldn't operate a pickup truck or El Camino on the PIP in either state at all. later on, you could if you had a tonneau or topper that completely covered the bed.

at any rate, if you're coming in from New England across I-84, you'll probably want to take Rte 6 west from Brewster to Peekskill. then north on the twisty section to the Bear Mountain Bridge, or South to Croton Park.

the PIP ends at Bear Mountain Circle just west of the bridge, and just north of the Inn, so there's no risk to you if I'm wrong about trailers being allowed!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Thanks for all the suggestions . I tried calling the Inn and the park and got no answer , phone just rings , I'll try again later .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
good morning, Tom,

I'm going to cautiously disagree with your point about trailers not being allowed on the PIP, as I have towed many times on both the NY section, and the NJ section without issue. yes, it's possible that "I've gotten away with it" but my luck isn't usually that good for this long.... "
LOL! Yeah, it's a mess. I did a lot of research to find out I could tow on the Garden State Parkway. I still don't think they allow trailers on NY state parkways though, but it's hard to find a DOT website that spells it out.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions . I tried calling the Inn and the park and got no answer , phone just rings , I'll try again later .

it seems to me that the Inn might actually be closed right now for a renovation. main Park HQ is also in that building. the NJ HQ might be able to tell you more - 201.768.1360 or Palisades Interstate Park - NJ Section.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just tonight I was reading on another thread and I found that there is a campground at West Point. It is for persons authorized to use Milirary facilities so if you are one of "US" you might consider it and check out availability there. I don't think it's very far to travel from there.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
if you qualify to use it -

it's probably less than 5 miles from the Bear Mountain Inn to the Thayer Gate into West Point.....

the United States Military Academy at West Point covers almost 16,000 acres, or about 25 square miles.

about 10 miles from the Bear Mountain Inn, at the western edge of the reservation is Lake Frederic, where there's tent and A-frame camping.
USMA MWR: Lake Frederick

about 8 miles from the Bear Mountain Inn, along the northern edge of the reservation is
the Round Pond Recreation area, that has 28 RV site with water and 30 or 50 amp electric. USMA MWR: Round Pond

they both look pretty nice!