Old 06-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Thumbs up Beach Camping

Does anyone know of a campground around the great lakes that you can camp on the beach?

Chitown AirStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
According to Google... I found that Grand Haven State Park in Michigan has beachside camping. Now, they probably don't mean pulling an Airstream right up to the waters edge, but if people can put tents out there, it probably isn't too far away from where you could put your trailer.

Google also mentioned Leelanau State Park in Northport, MI having beachside sites, and Warren Dunes near Sawyer, MI has a few giant parking lots right on the beach. Perhaps they allow overnight parking, but you'd be wise to make a few calls.

Good luck!

bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Anyone ever been to Grand Haven park , or Warren dunes? How about the Wisconsin side of the lake...Kohler state park?
Chitown AirStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
I don't believe that you will find any state parks in Ohio on Lake Erie where you can camp with an AS right ON the beach. However, we do have some beautiful parks that are on the waterfront and that have great beach access. The North Coast has some great parks and camping. Here are some links so that you can look at some.

East Harbor:
Maumee Bay:
Lake Erie Islands Area:
If any of you pack your own firewood, as we sometimes do, you may be aware that states are now beginning to ban the import and export of firewood. There is a ban on bringing firewood into Ohio from Michigan due to the Ash Boorer beetle which is killing off Ash trees. Thought we would pass the word. Here is a link to the warnings we have been seeing for Ohio.

Lou and Larry
close to Lake Erie but not ON Lake Erie in Ohio
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari SE
Lafayette , Indiana
Warren Dunes

I went to Warren Dunes last July, just to hike around the dunes for awhile.
VERY crowded! The beach and the lots were packed. I didn't see the
campground, but the picnic areas were crowded. And the whole place seemed a little run-down.
2008 20' Safari SE
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi
HenryLasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Just back from P.J. Hofmaster park in Michigan. Not right on the beach but a short walk thru wooded sand dunes to miles of beach. Would highly reccomend this park , clean modern showers well kept and clean.
I heard park fills up fast get Your reservations in early. Try for site 110 I was just there and it was a good site.
"Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Try Bayshore County Park just south of Dyckesville, WI, on the Green Bay.

We spent a week at Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping in Mackinaw City, Michigan last month -- right on the shores of Lake Huron. It was great.

Tom, and Frank
Tom and Frank
Evanston, Illinois
2004 Safari 28 ft Slideout "Lucy" 4 HI CAMP
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:09 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We used to go to Virginia's Beach Campground, which is just West of Erie, Pennsylvania. You are not right on the beach but within a few hundred feet of it.
You can also camp right on the beach at a campground located right next to Presque Isle State Park, in downtown Erie. Can't think of the name of that one.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Grand Haven State Park and Halland State park have beach camping. All the sites are asphalt or concrete. With grand haven there are sites that the only thing between the back of your coach and the water is 100 yards of sand. Holland's camprground that is on the beach is a litte further of a walk because the beach parking lot is in between most of the campground and the beach. Both locations have peirs you can walk out on. Holland has a sizable dune you can climb and see Lake Michigan on one side and Lake Macatowa on the other side. You have to reserver your spots early for both of these campgrounds.

Here is a layout of Holland's campgrounds:
Here is the main Holland site:

Grand Haven Layout:
Main Grand Haven Site:

The pink boxes in the layout maps are the camping areas.

Let me know if you have any more questions about these campgrounds as I grew up in West Michigan and have camped several times at both. I am staying in Holland State park from July 12-28 if you want to see a 31' 1973 Soveriegn (unrestored). I will be staying in the Macatowa campground that is not right on Lake Michigan.
kl8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Also, Port Crescent State Park in Michigan has several sites right on the beach of Lake Huron - if you're looking for next year, because you can forget reservations for this year, I'm sure they're full.

BTW, I second the PJ Hoffmaster state park recommendation. We stayed there last year and I loved it.

AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Kohler State park, Wisconsin is fabulous but hard to get in on weekends. You will not be right on the beach but the beach is worth the stay. Almost endless dunes of sand along Lake Michigan. You can get lost in the dunes or stay with the people closer to the water either way it is a marvelous park. Then there is Pennisula sate park in Door County. Once more this is hard to get in over a weekend but can be done during the week. You will not camp on the lake (Green Bay) but could be just a short walk from it.
Good luck and enjoy our wonderful state.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
Just got back from camping in Grand Haven State Park. Some sites are right on the beach. Here are some pictures.

The sites are on the small side. Many compers with motorhomes can't keep thier car on the site with the MH:
Here is my campsite:

Here is a sunset over the pier (To take this I walked maybe 50 steps from my campsite):

Another sunset pic:

To show you how close you can camp to the water and how close the pier and boardwalk (takes you in to Grand Haven if you like to walk) are in proximity to campinig, I took the following two pictures. I am standing in the same spot for the following two pictures, just rotated 90 degrees or so.

kl8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
our fav haunts

Our favorite is at Union Campground on (Lake Superior) in the UP MI at Porcupine Mountain Wilderness area. We have also camped many times at Peninsula State Park in Wisconsin (Green Bay/Door County area) and Sandy Point Beach State Park in Manitowac Wisconsin on (Lake Michigan.) We like these parks because there are plenty of natural areas to explore and much space to have privacy and quiet. (albeit not necessarily on a shore site at high tourist season.)

UOTE=Chitown AirStreamers]Does anyone know of a campground around the great lakes that you can camp on the beach?[/QUOTE]

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:58 AM   #14
Zero Carb Twinkie
2003 22' International CCD
Fullarton , Ontario
If you are in Ontario

Sandbanks Provincial Park on Lake Ontario. Our avatar shows the trailer and the beach just 30 feet away across the park road. These sites go fast on weekends. Weekdays should be OK.

Pinery Provincial Park on Lake Huron. The Dunes campground in this park is close to the beach, you have to walk over the dune to get to the beach.

Killbear Provincial Park on Georgian Bay. There are a few sites opposite the beach, and a good many along the bay on the rocky shores.

“Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted Time.” Bertrand Russell

Rob and Susan
Border Collie - Otis
2003 22' International CCD
1993 Chevy k1500 5spd Manual
2005 Ford SD Diesel 6spd Manual
CP/Water/15A/WIFI/PM to inquire
0CarbTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote