Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Be prepared for emergencies

Just a reminder that both partners should know how to do everything - hitching, holding tank dumps, outside and inside preparation and driving duties in case something happens. On a trip last week as we were preparing to leave I had some severe back spasms that put me on the ground until paramedics could transport me to the ER. We are home now after getting some really good drugs and I'm on the mend.

Checklists help deal with areas you don't normally do as I usually did everything outside and Victoria handles all the inside prep. Always good to have a backup plan.

I would also like to give a shout out to the Cascade Locks, OR KOA for their help getting the medics there and following up this morning with a phone call to see how I was doing. Nice folks.

Lessons learned:
1) Make sure everyone can and has done everything. Not just watched but actually performed every step.
2) Pull out your check lists as soon as something goes astray to make sure nothing gets left undone.
3) If you're going to fall, do it farther away from the sewer dump hose...

(My apologies for the sideways pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4478.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	484.2 KB
ID:	290337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4479.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	290338  

Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Sol
ItchyFeet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fuquay Varina , Wake County
Wow, what an experience! Hope you get well soon. Work outside/inside split is what my wife and I have been doing. But you're absolutely right. Thanks for sharing this critical matter.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Hope you are soon feeling better. It always amazes me the couples on the road or cruising in boats where only one member can operate safely the boat or trailer. I know it upsets some people but I find it gross negligence. I hope the day never comes where the one lacking in knowledge and skills is put in a life or death situation.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
That is a nice family KOA at the Locks. Glad they were able to get you help.

Thanks for posting your experience. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Glad you're on the mend. Your advice is spot on. A twisted ankle, a fall resulting in a strain or a break; you're absolutely right. BOTH members of the team NEED to be able to do everything. You never know when feces occur.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you are doing better, and I completely agree that both should be able to do all of the essentials.

May you have a speedy recovery.

Maggie
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Thanks for posting, it's definitely something we (wife and I) need to work on. I'm glad it was not something more serious.
Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It always amazes me the couples on the road or cruising in boats where only one member can operate safely the boat or trailer. I know it upsets some people but I find it gross negligence. I hope the day never comes where the one lacking in knowledge and skills is put in a life or death situation.
I'm not upset, but do you feel that single travelers are also negligent? Seems to me if I get hurt with my wife around, even if not able to perform all functions, I'm still better off than someone traveling alone. At least in the perspective of crisis management.

Though certainly a good idea, I'm having a hard time coming up with a life or death scenario if the one doesn't know how to do all things.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You simply might find yourself where there is no help around....to hitch up or unhitch, and drive out of wherever, seems the most important to me.

If there is a medical emergency with your partner, if they die suddenly, one may need to leave and to know how to do so.

Dumping tanks and filling them can be learned along the way....

We've had this discussion here before. Some can't imagine a scenario where basics need to be known by both, but these things happen.

Maggie
Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Thanks for the reminder. Hope you have a rapid recovery!
LazyGray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New Hampshire
Oh, been there before, crawling on the ground with back spasms! Get well soon! Thanks for the reminder, we all need one once in a while.
mrsmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As a solo traveler, being prepared for emergencies takes on a slightly different tone. I don't have a partner who has to know how to do anything. Instead, I need to be aware of (or discover) easier ways to do things for myself even when I'm at less than full physical and/or mental capacity— though whether I'm EVER at full mental capacity is debatable!

This has been put to the test once before, when I threw out my back while breaking camp back in mid-2013. I learned EXACTLY what my pain tolerance was, and what it was wasn't half as much pain as I was in! And there were a couple of things that I chose to abandon rather than load simply because I was unable to load them with a bad back. Stuff can be replaced. My back can't.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the things to consider is Good Sam Travel Assist. For an annual fee as low as $79 if you can't drive, they will send someone with experience to drive your tow vehicle and trailer home. I have subscribed to that service and have piece of mind that my trailer and tow vehicle will be driven home, and if necessary my wife and doggies will also be taken care of and given transport home if something happens to me rendering me unable to drive.

I did have an incident about 30 years ago where I was in Branson. I got back spasms so bad that I couldn't drive. My 14 year old son and wife with my direction got the the trailer hitched and ready to drive. I drove out of the campground and to Springfield Mo where I finally couldn't drive any more. She drove for the first time with the trailer on the Interstate home. Upon arrival a neighbor backed the trailer into the drive and unhitched. Thankfully I had a van and a very well mannered 21' Hi-Lo travel trailer.

It was a scary experience for both of us and I ended up in the hospital for 10 days with a bacterial infection that had settled into my back muscles. Could have gotten my heart but instead went to the back. Fast forward I've never had that issue again but as age and health has taken a toll on my wife, I know I can never put her in that position again.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I concur.

I forwarded this thread to the wife.

The wife seems to have an allergic reaction to trailer work stuff aside from cleaning the inside.

We would split the work, I do all the things outside, she does all the things inside. My boy helps me, and my littler girl helps her.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
A timely reminder for us all. Glad that you're on the mend!

Tim

PS - Good to see you back on Airforums, Protagonist!