Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
San Ramon , California
Bay Area to Lee Vining - least treacherous route to tow?

Hello! We’re planning a trip from where we live in San Ramon to the eastern Sierras in a couple of weeks. It’s summer so all of the passes should be open, however we want to take the least difficult road towing our AS 25 — meaning least sharp inclines and least switchbacks. Any suggestions as to which route is best? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
I have no advice for you, but am interested in the responses to your question.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I just came thru Yosemite to Lee Vining a month or so ago, and 120 thru the park was easy and beautiful.

I was not towing, of course, but generally look for roads that are not frightening and this one fit the bill.

The road down the eastern side was only open twice a day when I came thru, but that may have changed.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespirit View Post
Hello! We’re planning a trip from where we live in San Ramon to the eastern Sierras in a couple of weeks. It’s summer so all of the passes should be open, however we want to take the least difficult road towing our AS 25 — meaning least sharp inclines and least switchbacks. Any suggestions as to which route is best? Thanks!

I have done the 120 and I-80 routes multiple times. I-80+us395 is the lowest stress and safest and easiest in the equipment, in my opinion.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Least is I80 to 395 and South.

Most busy may be US50 over to 395 and South. We came home on 50 last fall and spent about an hour getting through Placerville.

Most beautiful is likely 120 through Yosemite, but that's not what you requested. It's tight in some places, a bit of a grade in others. We are going to do it some day, but just getting through the approaches to Yosemite is a traffic nightmare.

We don't mind climbing I80 near as much as we hate coming home that way. It's not the downgrade, the road just seems rougher and it's quite likely we do not like the higher speed truck traffic.

Our next trip will be down the West side of the Sierras, around the bottom to Death Valley and up 395. How we'll cross back over to return home is the open question. Maybe North of Reno out of Susanville and over to Red Bluff. Or maybe we'll roll back down I80. We went up I80 a while back. Got caught in a hail storm. We were able to move through and get moving again with only a short wait for the storm to pass. The West bound lanes did not do so well. They got hung up for quite a while.

Have a safe trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

San Ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

Most busy may be US50 over to 395 and South. We came home on 50 last fall and spent about an hour getting through Placerville.

Most beautiful is likely 120 through Yosemite, but that's not what you requested. It's tight in some places, a bit of a grade in others. We are going to do it some day, but just getting through the approaches to Yosemite is a traffic nightmare.

We don't mind climbing I80 near as much as we hate coming home that way. It's not the downgrade, the road just seems rougher and it's quite likely we do not like the higher speed truck traffic.

Our next trip will be down the West side of the Sierras, around the bottom to Death Valley and up 395. How we'll cross back over to return home is the open question. Maybe North of Reno out of Susanville and over to Red Bluff. Or maybe we'll roll back down I80. We went up I80 a while back. Got caught in a hail storm. We were able to move through and get moving again with only a short wait for the storm to pass. The West bound lanes did not do so well. They got hung up for quite a while.

Have a safe trip. Pat
Thanks so much! Do you go past Sacramento the Reno way or cut across the Placerville way and down to Lee Vining?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespirit View Post
Thanks so much! Do you go past Sacramento the Reno way or cut across the Placerville way and down to Lee Vining?
Sacramento to Reno and down 395 is the route that works best for us. Yes, there is traffic, but they move along reasonably. If you want go go slow, you can tag onto a truck that is struggling with the climb. When he goes too slow, you can pass and move on at your own rate with him blocking for you.

Placerville is 50. Traffic issues in Tahoe have folks wanting to close off the highway. Placerville was a horrible tie-up the last time we came through. We have been through Placerville when the traffic was light. It can be a nice trip to go that route. The problem with towing 50 is that some vehicles travel way below the speed limit in tight two lane sections and then speed up in the straight sections so you can't pass without exceeding the speed limit.

Good luck with your trip. Pat
Old 07-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #8

2016 30' Classic
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Mountain Driving Atlas

Spend $20 on the Mountain Driving Atlas for Truckers and you’ll never have to ask for route advice again! (Though you may want to, as Airstreamers are some of the most knowledgeable and helpful around!)

Good luck. And get the electronic version. Put it in your tablet and it’s a database that doesn’t require a WiFi signal to access.
ClassicBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

Have a safe trip. Pat
I'm with PKI. Save hwy50 for the off season. Absolutely stunning dropping down into SLT. Note there is a recent thread re SLT and 395 SB.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post2266547

Just a heads up re 120. I grew up In the the sf bay area and know well the
sierras. There is a grade out of Moccasin to Groveland called Priest Grade. Two options. Old pg is shorter, straighter and steeper. The New PG is longer, more gradual with lots of switchbscks. Old pg... 1st gear pedal to the metal in the ol' westy. Gear up = gear down rule applicsble. I've seen many a driver with nothing at the bottom but brake smoke pouring out of the wheel wells. Forgot to note your tt's length but may come into play, assuming you choose Old pg and have the power.

You should be fine on the Tioga pass section. Steep, so just take it easy.

Happy trails.

B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Keep in mind that traffic near Tahoe and Reno is worse on weekends; going up that way on Friday afternoon, going away on Sunday afternoon. And, the bigger cities can be nasty during commute hours on the other days. Add to that it sometimes seems like Californians can’t drive well in any sort of weather (rain, wind, snow, fog, smoke - technically not weather, but we do have fires) so plan accordingly.

We’ve gone from Napa to Yosemite, Lassen, and Graeagle this year with the Airstream and had no issues...but we’ve taken to leaving on Thursdays and returning on Mondays.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Another vote for I-80 to Reno then South on 395. It is the least stressful.
I would not tow through Yosemite and out through Tioga Pass (SR 120). Tioga is a steep downhill tow.
Yosemite is an easy day trip from Lee Vining. Towed my AI 30 home from Lee Vining this past Monday.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Reno , NV
I live in Reno and we just took a trip over to Petaluma for a long weekend a few weeks ago. I would stick on I80 to come over the hill. Traffic in Sacramento will be the slowest part of the journey. Traffic in Reno isn't anything in comparison. We complain if we have to slow down to 45 mph. 395 South is a pretty easy drive.

Wave as you pass through Reno!
Runs_4_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Byron , California
I thought 88 out of Stockton worked well for me. Mostly sweeping turns with manageable grades, plenty of passing lanes to let traffic go by, excellent pavement, especially compared to 80. You skip the Reno and South Lake Tahoe traffic. Truck traffic is a non-issue, much less than 50 or 80. Grades are nothing like that one on 120 in eastern Yosemite. No Priest Grade type switchbacks. This is towing a 30FC with a 3/4 diesel Silverado that does not have exhaust brake. It’s also scenic.
Don’t even think of Hwy 4 or 108. Several good fueling options in Jackson, before you head over the hill.
obytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks for that information. The 88 route is not one we have tried. Sounds like a good option to try.

Edit - Jackson has a very nice RV Park. There is also 49er Village just North in Plymouth. It's a excellent family CG.

Hope to meet you all down the road. Pat
Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

San Ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by obytheway View Post
I thought 88 out of Stockton worked well for me. Mostly sweeping turns with manageable grades, plenty of passing lanes to let traffic go by, excellent pavement, especially compared to 80. You skip the Reno and South Lake Tahoe traffic. Truck traffic is a non-issue, much less than 50 or 80. Grades are nothing like that one on 120 in eastern Yosemite. No Priest Grade type switchbacks. This is towing a 30FC with a 3/4 diesel Silverado that does not have exhaust brake. It’s also scenic.
Don’t even think of Hwy 4 or 108. Several good fueling options in Jackson, before you head over the hill.
88 does sound very interesting! If at all possible we’d prefer a scenic route to extend the vacation a bit, but not at the risk of getting stressed over steep roads and tight switchbacks. We have a 25 International and towing with F150 Ecoboost. Truck did well climbing and towing all through the Rockies. Anyone else have thoughts on CA88?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I took the 120 from San Francisco to Lee Vining a few years back. The first section is a bit intimating from Moccasin to Priest with the step sides and step accent, but everyone drove slow and I didn't have any issues. The day was incredibly hot so the AC was also on full blast. I ended up camping just outside of Yosemite Park at the Yosemite Lakes Thousand Trails since everything else was booked far in advance. I had no issue with the rest of the drive up the 120 to Tioga Pass and down to Lee Vining. The picture you see in the registry was taken just on the stretch of road up to Tioga Pass. I left early in the morning from my campsite in order to avoid traffic, but then stopped for along the way for photos anyway.

Most of the speeds are limited anyway, so if you do the posted speed you'll have no issues with your 25'. On the decent I set the gear limit to 3rd or 4th and only braked when I went too fast. This way I didn't ride the brakes all the way down as most people seem to do.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Lovespirit, i have only been up 88 to the Meiss Lake trailhead backpack parking just past Kirkwood, just short if the pass but never over. Because of that i remember a thread about Carson Pass, circa 2015/16??? What i remember as i was very surprised, was the longer trailers were fine over Carson.

Lots of threads searching Carson. 88 was too vague.

Good luck.
B
Old 08-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by obytheway View Post
..........Several good fueling options in Jackson, before you head over the hill.
Speaking of fuel in Jackson...and some the oldest Zin vines in the US, Circa 1949...yummmm

And speaking of I80...exit EB at Norden and take the old hwy 40 to donner / truckee...think Misery with james caan and kathy bates once over the original donner pass and you're on the downhill run to the lake

B
Old 08-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

San Ramon , California
Thanks all! We’ve decided to try Carson Pass, and per suggestions we will camp our first night outside of Jackson and then take our sweet time over the Sierras to our hot springs vacation. Booked a site at The Inn at Benton Hot Springs, each campsite has a private hot spring tub! Yippee!!
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Speaking of fuel in Jackson...and some the oldest Zin vines in the US, Circa 1949...yummmm

And speaking of I80...exit EB at Norden and take the old hwy 40 to donner / truckee...think Misery with james caan and kathy bates once over the original donner pass and you're on the downhill run to the lake

B

oooops, make that 1849.