Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
penngrove , Penngrove
Cool Bay area campgrounds?

Hello, Ive recently started thinking about purchasing an airstream and living in it permanently for a number of years so that I can save money and get back on my feet. Im still pretty new to this whole concept but it seems like a really great way to live. currently I live in sonoma county in northern california and am finishing up nursing school. Once I am done I am hoping to get a job in Oakland or San Francisco. I was wondering if anyone knew of any parks in the bay area that I could semi-permanently set up a home in an airstream. Ive been looking online but there doesnt seem to be much out there. Any info or tips would be awesome! Thanks, brandon
brandontx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I think you can go month to month at the Petaluma KOA. We enjoyed our stay there, and it was convenient enough.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There's an RV park in Novato. Haven't been there, but checked it out on Google Earth for an arial view.

There's also an RV resort in Pacifica, but it's in the cliff area that is crumbling into the ocean. We drove through there, and it has nice pool, general store, etc., but the spaces are like the Safeway parking lot. Nice view of the ocean though, as it's right on the cliff overlooking a small beach area. However, not sure you would want to stay there more than a few nights. Otherwise, one of these days, you might actually be on the beach when you wake up. Also, it is pretty pricey; because it's only a few minutes to the city.

They have another resort at Candlestick Park, but that's not a very good part of town. I haven't stayed there, but have read that security is OK but you don't want to be wandering around outside the park at night. Also, it is another parking lot, I think.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Boston , Massachusetts
The Anthony Chabot Family Campground in Oakland is wonderful. We stayed there the week before Memorial Day. Not sure how long you can camp there.
dryflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
The East Bay is full of full-timer parks. The stretch between Antioch and Rio Vista on the Delta, Bethel Island, etc. Some are nice, some are havens for those hiding from their past or their current. The drive would be about 25 mins off peak, or 1 hour on peak to Oakland.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
There's an RV park in Novato. Haven't been there, but checked it out on Google Earth for an arial view...
I drove through. I believe it was $700/mo, and had separate sections for long term and short term visitors. It was very clean, bright, and nestled against the hills right off the 101. Very nice - I think the owners live on premises above the little office / laundry room.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hi Brandon,

Have you found a place yet? I noticed you're in Penngrove, what a great place. In Oakland, San Leandro and environs there are a lot of little trailer parks for long term stays, and I imagine most of them are not online. I think you can search the yellow pages, you may have to go to a museum to get one, but also be nosing around areas. I was just in San Leandro at Allied Trailer supply and I know there are quite a few out there, quiet area handy to Oakland and SF. Good luck, Peter