Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Banned Food

We're planning a trip into the Canadian Rockies this summer. I've searched the forum and the internet and can't find a simple list of banned foods crossing into Canada or returning to the US. We will enter into Alberta and return from British Columbia. We will spend about a week in Canada and I would like to avoid spending time at the grocery store. The plan is to stock the pantry before crossing into Canada and again after returning to the US. My concerns are generally related to beef, pork and chicken--fresh or frozen. Also what about cheeses, yogurts, fresh eggs, fresh vegetables or fresh fruits? Has anyone had their rice confiscated?
Thank You

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
No lemons into US from Canada, even though they were purchased in the US ,the border inspector probably wanted some lemonade,....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Go to the Govt of Canada website, and you can find everything you need to know about what you can, and can not bring into Canada. Hint: leave your hand guns at home!! Have a wonderful time visiting our country. Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Oh man, these restrictions can change overnight. There is still a ban on all poultry products (including eggs) in and out of Canada.

As to lemons - just went through this with the U.S.F.D.A. since one of my food products contains dehydrated lemon essence. To cut to the chase, they allowed it into the U.S.

I would enter Canadian customs with as little food product as possible. The time you think you will save by shopping beforehand could be for not if you are held up due to a total inspection/confiscation of some food products.

Besides that, if you shop in Canada, your grocery bill will be reduced by 20%! And Alberta is ranch country; their beef/pork is wonderful!
Old 06-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Easiest thing to do which I do every time I go to the US is call the border crossing you will be using and get the latest info. You can call the Canadian side as well.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I would enter Canadian customs with as little food product as possible.
I've found it to be MUCH more problematic coming back to the US. We try not to have any fresh fruits or veggies when crossing.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We cross the border fairly often-- most recently today! Canadians who live close to the border often grocery shop in the US, where a lot of foods are cheaper.

The reason the "list" often changes is that it depends upon late-breaking diseases affecting crops and livestock in either country. For example, US eggs and fresh poultry used to be fine going into Canada, but thanks to the recent bird flu outbreak in the US, you can't bring these into Canada now. Twice we've had US strawberries restricted going into Canada.

Citrus is never OK going into the US, but sometimes tomatoes and peppers are OK if cut-up, sometimes not at all. Go figure.

Canned and dried foods, bakery products, non-alcoholic drinks, and snack-type foods are usually fine both ways: it's mostly just produce and fresh meat that are subject to change.

Hints: dog food is considered to be a meat product.

Never bring campfire wood in either direction, due to tree diseases.

Alcohol is limited both ways: two bottles of wine, one bottle of liquor, or a six-pack of beer per person.

These sites should be helpful:

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Oh, and gas up in the US before crossing the border. Gas is a lot cheaper in the US.

Have a wonderful trip-- you'll be visiting some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet!

Also the exchange rate is now much in your favour.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we load up our pantry and refrigerator before leaving our home; Whatever is in our trailer when we cross borders is what it is. Now if you are bringing cases of something across the border, they don't like that. We don't do Tabaco and we don't do alcohol. When asked what we have in our trailer, we have people food for us and dog food for our lite dog. They also don't like food items that are not in the original containers. Don't bring 50 lbs of dog food in a plastic tub.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post

Citrus is never OK going into the US, but sometimes tomatoes and peppers are OK if cut-up, sometimes not at all. Go figure.

Hints: dog food is considered to be a meat product.
The pepper thing is weird. Last summer, we had a couple uncut peppers confiscated when coming back into the US. If they'd been cut up, they'd have been ok. Makes no sense.

Though I'd been warned about it, in either direction, they never did ask us anything at all about our dog food.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We live close to the border and go back and forth fairly often. The border guards seem to have a lot of discretion in terms of what they ask about. It can really vary. When in doubt, I'd leave behind any fresh produce, eggs, or meat. We've never had a problem with cans, baked goods, or dry goods like rice and ground coffee.

Oh, and don't worry if the border agents ask you to pull over to the side for an inspection. Probably they just want to have a look-see in your beautiful Airstream!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote