Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2002, 06:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Question Banks exhaust brake for Dodge Ram

I would appreciate response from anyone who has had the Banks Exhaust Brake installed on their Dodge Ram Diesel Quad Cab truck. Mine is a 2001, 24 valve, with auto trans,4x4, no modifications yet. Plan to tow in Colorado, Utah and other Rocky Mountain states and hope to go up to Alberta and British Columbia in the future.

So far, with towing 31' Sovreign (8200 GCW, Truck @ approx 7300 Gross wt) up and down Eastern states including some mountains off interstates in VA , no problem with braking (Reese controller) on some 6-10% grades downhill in D2. Everything I seem to read wants to sell me the auxillary brake. Is this OK, or should I opt for the Banks equipment?

wflorencejr
new member, WBCCI #4737
Thorobred Jack-Beagle
wflorencejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Can't reply directly about the Banks exhaust brake, but they have good products which are well engineered.

As retired Chrysler engineer and worked in Truck Vehicle Development I would recommend the Cummins exhaust brake control unit which is designed by Cummins for the Dodge Ram application. This unit is avaliable from any Cummins Engine repair facalities and some Dodge dealers.

As you are planing a trip west I would recommend a exhaust brake control as the grades you will encounter out west are much longer than grades here in the east. I have a book which is avaliable in most large truck stops and lists all grades west of the Mississippi, and describes the decent from the top of the hill. This is a good book to use to plan a trip if you want to avoid the real bad grades.
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Exhaust Brake for Dodge 24 valve Ram Diesel

Apple 1, Thanks for your response regarding using a Cummins designed brake as opposed to the Banks equipment. I will check with the Dodge dealer to see what they can do on that score. As I mentioned in my Post, I have seen a lot of material from various ads, etc., regarding Banks, PacBrake and others. Did not know that Chrysler would do this, but have to wonder why it is not offered as an option with the factory tow package which I have on the truck. By the way, I noticed in re-reading my original Post that I mis-stated the weghts of vehicle and trailer. Should be,"trailer #8200 GVW", and truck rated to pull about #9800 in its present configuration. Several years ago, I towed the Colorado Rockies with a 19' A/S Globetrotter and a Ford E 150 Van with trans cooler and woefully undergeared 351 Windsor V-8.
No braking problems, just crawled up the hills! This new Dodge truck has the power, just want to make certain that a lot of succesive grades won't eat up the brakes.

Thanks again.

wflorencejr
Thorobred Jack-Beagle
Old 04-22-2002, 08:08 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Chrysler never offered as option because of factory install problems and low order rate. We did have test trucks with various exhaust brakes and they make a big difference inthe mountains out west. If I was ony going to use the vehicle here in the east it would not be nessary, however out west I would recommend one.
If the Dodge dealer dosent offer this check with any Cummins engine facility.
The last I heard an Exhaust brake is being considered for option on the new Ram 2500/3500 which comes out for 2003.
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Apple 1, thanks for your information and thoughtful reply. I will follow through with local dealer and go from there. Will let you know what I finally do. Trip schedulled for July 2002, so I want to get on this ASAP.
WflorenceJr
Thorobred Jack-Beagle
Old 10-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Exhaust brake for Dodges with Automatic Trans

I have a 2WD 2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel with Automatic Trans. My understanding is that no one has an exhaust break for automatics, not even Cummins. Supposedly they are working on one (see the other threads on this topic), but so far I have not heard anything definative.

Lee

Full Time.....keeping the shiny side up

Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis
My understanding is that no one has an exhaust break for automatics, not even Cummins. Lee
Lee, there are thousands of us Ram users with automatic gearboxes and exhaust brakes. A controller is needed to lock-up the torque converter when the exhaust brake comes into operation. Several manufacturers offer such systems, and I chose BD. A separate question is whether or not there is a system for your model Ram that will not void your warranty. Your local dealer will be able to advise on this. This is a long-running saga, and detailed discussions over the years are at www.turbodieselregister.com and the associated magazine for members. You will get good advice on the current situation at that forum. I highly recommend joining the TDR, if you are not already a member. I would not wish to tow my rig without an exhaust brake.
Nick.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I use a Pac Brake on my 7.3 liter Ford / International engine. The best thing I ever did for control going down long grades out of overdrive. I rarely need to tap on the brakes.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Tinsel,

Okay, I'll demonstrate my ignorance. What is a Pac Brake, how much is it, and how difficult is it to install? (I've already installed a 4" exhaust on my '01 E-350 PSD)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

It's an exhaust brake like the Banks Exhaust Brake and cost is about $ 1,000.00, and is not difficult to install. It took me about 3 hours. I put a small air tank in so the compressor would not cycle every time I took my foot off the accelerator when I use the exhaust brake. You cannot use an exhaust brake on the 6.0 diesel engine because of the new style variable vane function of the turbocharger.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote