Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I live right next to the Canadian border. The only sure ID is a passport. If you don't have one I would get one for everyone in your party. Going into Canada with a firearm is a big problem. If you try it and get caught you go directly to jail.

Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member
1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Entry Requirements

For current info go to - Tips for Travelers to Canada

Note the requirements for air and land travel are different today.

What is required and what gets checked are two different things. You better have what is required. I have gone in and out of Canada multiple times with only a drivers license or no ID check. Went in Canada, with my Airstream and dog, last year and had three questions at the border 1. Where do you live, 2. Do you have any firearms 3. What do you have with you. And was waived on through. No ID check, no vet paper check took about 15 seconds, plus 20 or 30 minutes in line. Went on to Alaska and upon reentering got a long list of varied questions, was asked for photo ID and proof of citizenship (passport or birth cert). Just had my driver license ready, passport was in the trailer. Oh man that upset the border guard, gave me a lecture about not being prepared, asked why I wasn't prepared, related my previous border experince, he got more upset (I was polite really) had me pull in to secondary. He explained proof of citizenship had been required for his entire 30 years and a drivers license did not meet the citizenship requirement. I got the passport out in secondary trusck and trailer searched and was on my way. This was the first time I needed more than a driver license. About 20 minutes for that crossing.

I got beef and other food yanked entering the US. Look at the restricted items list before crossing either way.

Mike Martin
bikrmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Yep, it's kinda sad that two countries, both with the same people, the same almost everything, can make crossing a line difficult one time and a breeze many others in a row. I suspect it's more how that border guard has been getting treated by other travelers before he/she gets to you, and how they think you are responding to the questions. At all times I've been extremely polite, attentive, unwavering in my answers, and still had to do the secondary check probably about once every 50 crosses so not a bad average. We do cross the border often living just north of it a few minutes.

One other occasion my wife packed the trailer and heading south they asked if we had any veggies on board to which I answered the always true nope. Secondary search and low and behold while my wife was packing the trailer she was snacking on some fresh peas and she'd left the bag with six peas still in it on the counter by mistake. Boy, did they ream her out. I was watching as she was about to explain and was told very clearly to keep her mouth shut or she could be fined. Pretty silly stuff but ...............after all was said and done they had a boo at the trailer, made some complimentary comments, and we were on our way to a weekend of fun camping. My wife still gets teased by our group about the great pea caper and her attempt to smuggle. I suspect I'm reaching the end of my freedom to tell others about how for the first time I saw my wife speechless - and I think it's going to hurt me big time if I don't shut up soon.

We never attempt to take any meat, fruit or veggie product over the line, including canned goods. Either way. It seems each country thinks the other country allows it's people to eat diseased food. Keep in mind that this also means pet food. If it has meat in it you may not be able to bring it across and the internet site noted in the prior posts will give you an idea.

But the above and others comments all noted, it's not that bad, really. Most people blast through (with generally some kind of line up at the border either way so avoid peak times) and it is well worth the potential for a little bit of hassle.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote