Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2017, 06:02 AM   #21
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
Resurrecting this thread. We leave in 10 days heading to Los Barriles with Baja Winters. Does anyone know if our Sat TV works down there? TIA, Dave
That's an interesting question. I'd like to tag on to your question and ask if conventional over-the-air TV works. Is it analog (that's okay with me) or maybe HD/digital?
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Is the low sulfur diesel fuel available in Mexico ??? I have read that this may be hard to find in some places

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Hey glad you put this post out! I am heading from Virginia second week in February and had been looking for a recent post to no avail. So happy that you found it all great fun and no hassles. I was planing on traveling down to North of Cabo since I don't really care for the big hotel towns. If you could link me to your posts I would like to stay tuned to your travels. I plan on staying toward the end of March, so I can get back in time for Spring in the second week of April.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Is the low sulfur diesel fuel available in Mexico ??? I have read that this may be hard to find in some places
The last PEMEX station that has ULSD is in Jesus Maria just before you cross the border into the southern state. I'm also making the trip with the Baja Winters caravan in February. With my aux tank I'll have enough ULSD to complete my journey to Los Barriles with my 2015 Duramax. I'll also be taking 7.5 gallons of DEF since it's nearly impossible to obtain it in Mexico.

Regarding satellite service, the Baja Winters info packet states "U.S. satellite service is only obtainable with a 1 meter dish and even with this equipment the service is marginal."

Terry
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Hi Folks...
regarding low sulphur fuel. I hear that it is starting to be sold in some of the larger cities like Cabo and La Paz but I would not bet the farm on it. There are a lot of diesel trucks down here pulling large 5ers so they must be getting along with the fuel that is available locally. I will ask around in the park and see what the thought is. There are also a lot of large MoHos that burn diesel down here too so I should be able to get the information for you.
regarding satellite dishs, they do work but as was mentioned you will need a large size dish to pull in a strong signal. I dont even try my 'carry out' portable. Some poeple that stay longer just sign up to the mexican feed but there is a language issue. Not really a lot on these days that I need to see. Nice break from all the crap in the world.
Its a thousand miles from San Diego to Los Barriles. Just about far enough......
Will get some information and answers for you and reply back tomorrow.
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:39 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Newport Beach , California
Ok. So we need to plan for La Ventana Los Barilles and Cabo for October 2018. Anyone game?
rchawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchawkins View Post
Ok. So we need to plan for La Ventana Los Barilles and Cabo for October 2018. Anyone game?
Barring scheduling problems, yes. Keep me in the loop.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Anyone else going this year? Will consider 2018.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Maybe.

Subscribing.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
We're definitely interested in going.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
We are ready to rattle the rig in October 2018.
Love Mexico and the Mexican people.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Ok. My plan is to leave in October and return in late February. One of the posts talked about Discover Baja. Definitely recommend joining. The have info and insurance
Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
awesome to see some renewed interest in Baja! after 23,000km or about 14,000 miles we are safely home in the cold and wet!!
It was a long trip but we plan on heading back again. We have a western trip planned for this summer, to B.C. and the Yukon, so I think we will be heading to Florida next winter. We are talking about another trip to Baja the following winter for sure and will be looking for a couple of other folks to run with. For those of you going this year I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Just as an update, on our return trip we took the ferry from La Paz to the mainland. (totolbomba) which was interesting. It was a night crossing and we were able to sleep in the rig which was good with the dog. The fun thing was getting up on the top deck. We had to drive on the boat and maneuver to the left side where we got on a hydraulic lift. It has a capacity of 16.5 meters in length, we were 16.3 meters long. No wiggle room! From there we had to jockey around to get parked. All good so far. Morning comes and we have to do the same process. BACKWARDS!! What a way to start the day. Back on to the lift, around the corner and up the ramp. And the tide was out so the ramp was uphill. Never 'needed' a beer so early in the day in my life. But we made it and continued on with the trip to San Carlos.
San Carlos was a great place to stay with lots of shops and wonderful beaches. The 'vibe' was different than that in Baja but still well worth seeing. Baja is just really laid back.
We pulled out of San Carlos for the boarder early in the morning and were back in the states in early afternoon without any issues. Crossed over at Nogallas. The boarder towns seem to be the same. They are a mess and rather nasty, but that is what they are. You get through them in a wink and then you enter the real Mexico. Again, we at no time felt that we were in any danger. It was a great trip and one that we will do again. If you are planning on a trip do your homework, get educated and make good decisions. The biggest challenge after weeks of running the interstates is the concept of 'slow down'! Also a major change when re-entering the states!
Have fun on your upcoming trip and enjoy. Safe travels
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Thanks Pete very thorough description.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
A few notes on my recent trip to Los Barriles with Baja Winters:
1) Watch out for uncovered utility access holes and other hazards on the sidewalks. My spouse fell into one and broke her ankle. The good news was the immediate and excellent medical care she received in La Paz. Be prepared to pay upfront, though. I had made arrangements with my credit card holder before I left for just such a contingency. The total bill for a hospital overnight stay, complete medical workup, operation to insert a plate and screws, and drugs came to a little over $3000 US.
2) I installed TPMS on the Airstream before I left and I'm glad I did. I picked up a nail, received an alarm as the pressure dropped below 60 PSI, and was able to find someplace to pull off and change the tire. Next time I'll carry a tire plug kit and a portable compressor with me. However, it cost me about $10 US to have the tire plugged in the next town.
) Plan for no ULSD past Jesus Maria. I have a 2015 Duramax and was told by Ted White, the Mexico Gas Guru, that the newer Duramax trucks are particularly
sensitive to "high sulfer content diesel." I installed a 50 gal Transfer Flow aux tank and filled six 5 gal cans with ULSD in Jesus Maria before I ventured further south.
3) I was surprised at the number of Airstreams we encountered in Mexico, both solo and with caravans. There were even a couple of solo triple axle units which surprised me. Encountering oncoming 18 wheelers on some of the hairpin turns with my 30 footer left fingerprint impressions on my steering wheel. The triple axle folks must have nerves of steel.
4) After each days travel I had to inspect the trailer and tighten every screw, nut, and bolt I could find. I had the bathroom sink fall out three times, a number of cabinet door latches come unfastened (screws either loose and worked there way out or stripped out of the wood). Next time I'll do more Baja proofing before I leave i.e., Locktite, oversized screws, bracing, etc.).
5) I encountered voltages at the "full hookup" RV parks that ranged anywhere from 100 to 127vac. Full hookup has an entirely different meaning in Baja. I have solar, a generator, and a water filter setup that will kill any bug or virus so we were prepared.
6) Lastly, we had a blast. The people are friendly, the pace is slower, and the camping is what I remember as a kid in the USA, find a spot on the beach with no advance reservation, park for about $5 a night, kayak, swim, fish, or just watch the sunrise and sunset from your Airstream. We're heading back again with the Baja Winters 28 Jan 2018 caravan.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
I was on the trip with Terry and concur with his comments.

One thing I'd like to add is that Mexico Hwy 1 varies from beautiful, smooth blacktop to a pothole ridden road with barely 6" of shoulder. The Baja Winters Wagonmaster rides up front and calls out the potholes and other hazards. This works great so long as everyone has a CB radio.

Our blog is dcairstream.net and I have a lot of pictures and commentary of the trip. Scroll to the archive section on the bottom of the page and click on February. Scroll to Feb 3 for the first day of the trip.

Enjoy, Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post

1) Watch out for uncovered utility access holes and other hazards on the sidewalks. My spouse fell into one and broke her ankle. The good news was the immediate and excellent medical care she received in La Paz. Be prepared to pay upfront, though. I had made arrangements with my credit card holder before I left for just such a contingency. The total bill for a hospital overnight stay, complete medical workup, operation to insert a plate and screws, and drugs came to a little over $3000 US.

2) I installed TPMS on the Airstream before I left and I'm glad I did. I picked up a nail, received an alarm as the pressure dropped below 60 PSI, and was able to find someplace to pull off and change the tire. Next time I'll carry a tire plug kit and a portable compressor with me. However, it cost me about $10 US to have the tire plugged in the next town.

) Plan for no ULSD past Jesus Maria. I have a 2015 Duramax and was told by Ted White, the Mexico Gas Guru, that the newer Duramax trucks are particularly

sensitive to "high sulfer content diesel." I installed a 50 gal Transfer Flow aux tank and filled six 5 gal cans with ULSD in Jesus Maria before I ventured further south.

3) I was surprised at the number of Airstreams we encountered in Mexico, both solo and with caravans. There were even a couple of solo triple axle units which surprised me. Encountering oncoming 18 wheelers on some of the hairpin turns with my 30 footer left fingerprint impressions on my steering wheel. The triple axle folks must have nerves of steel.

4) After each days travel I had to inspect the trailer and tighten every screw, nut, and bolt I could find. I had the bathroom sink fall out three times, a number of cabinet door latches come unfastened (screws either loose and worked there way out or stripped out of the wood). Next time I'll do more Baja proofing before I leave i.e., Locktite, oversized screws, bracing, etc.).

5) I encountered voltages at the "full hookup" RV parks that ranged anywhere from 100 to 127vac. Full hookup has an entirely different meaning in Baja. I have solar, a generator, and a water filter setup that will kill any bug or virus so we were prepared.

6) Lastly, we had a blast. The people are friendly, the pace is slower, and the camping is what I remember as a kid in the USA, find a spot on the beach with no advance reservation, park for about $5 a night, kayak, swim, fish, or just watch the sunrise and sunset from your Airstream. We're heading back again with the Baja Winters 28 Jan 2018 caravan.

Very helpful. So where did you install 50 gal tank?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Did the extra fuel 80 gallons cover you for the entire time? I'm planing on months. New truck
Old 05-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Did the extra fuel 80 gallons cover you for the entire time? I'm planing on months. New truck

I suggest you contact Ted White at whitetmp@aol.com. He has a wealth of information on traveling in Mexico with emissions equipped vehicles. He spends his winters in Los Barriles and has helped many people, myself included, safely tour Mexico with their US emissions equipped vehicles.

I installed a 50 gal Transfer-Flow aux tank in the bed of my pickup. At 13 mpg 116 gal of ULSD would have allowed me to make it back to Jesus Maria without any side trips. If you're going to be there for awhile, you'll have to use LSD at some point. Again, Ted can help you with that. Safe Travels, Terry
Old 05-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Thx. Probably there for a couple of months and my bed is full of windsurfing equipment