Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Baja Mexico

Hey Adventurers!

We just got back from a 1.5 month trip down Mexico way and though, given the bad press Mexcio gets, we'd shed some light on travel there.

We drove from the Pacific Northwest down I-5, circled around LA via Bakersfield and entered Mexico at Tijuana.

We then headed down Mex1 all the way to La Paz, and then south to Los Barrilles. As we have visited Cabo San Lucas in the past we didnt go there this time..

Roughly the same route home with stops at Bahia Los Angeles, Guerroe negro, Constiticion and numerous little villages along the one and only road - Mex1.

The roads: By and large, just fine, even excellent. The width is a bit less than our standards and there are often no shoulders at all but other than that no concerns at all.

Military Check Points: We went though 5 or 6 of them. Our first rule is to smile and greet the officers in Spanish and we cooperate all the way - why on earth not? Our AS was searched, patted, tapped and generally admired and we never had any grief. Military check points are a fact of life in Mexico, get used to them and relax. So they carry guns ... no big deal.

The People: Open, generous, kind and helpful. You get what you give - smile and say " Buenos Dias" and "por favor" show some respect for them and their country and you will always be warmly welcomed.

Fuel: Somewhere around 2.50$ a gallon - beat that!

Services: No issues. If the part isnt there it can be ordered. If it takes a few days, relax.

Banditos, graft, corruption, danger, devils and boogiemen: Never saw them smelled them or met them. My wife and I walked everywere - even at night! - never any problems.

Go - its a great trip and memorable in many ways.

Arriva!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great trip.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice to hear of your travels and positive experiences.

Cannot get hubby to go to Mexico. Noway, nohow, he's not going.

I will have to visit vicariously through others.

Thanks for sharing.

Maggie
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Thanks RMB. When we go down we experience the same. Strange you Canadians seem to never have any problems but us Yanks who never been there do.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Thanks for the post! We'll be spending a few months down there come January.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I go to Mexico every couple of months, usually to the Yucatan states. I have been making these trips for the past 10 years. Never once have I ever had any negative issues of any kind. It is very hard to convince people that have never been that Mexico is a wonderful safe place to visit or to even live. Yes, they do have some problems in a few areas, but no more than any place in this country (USA). As said, a little courtesy and common sense goes a long way. Remember that you are the foreigner and guest you will have a great time if you go with an open mind.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

We go from San Carlos, Sonora to the Baja coast at least twice a year in our boat and anchor for weeks in remote anchorages.
Our report is the same as RMB's--no problems. Baja is remote and beautiful and any one who doesn't go there is missing out.
I am interested to see their reports on Highway 1. The last time I took a travel trailer there, I had to repair broken springs on the way. Easy to do as suspension problems are common and repair shops are every where. The road was rough.
Torsion axles on Airstreams should fare better.
I agree that Canadians are adventurous travelers and more likely to go to Mexico.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Great post, thanks for the info...Hope to haul down to Bahia Los Angeles, Mulage, and Loretto someday. Kayaks, fishing, sunsets with a glass of wine.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
While traveling in Mexico one very cold night we were searched at a military checkpoint. I had been sleeping and was very groggy- it all seemed surreal- The officials had us get out of the car and searched it very thoroughly. After the search was done, we were on the road again discussing what had just happened. We decided that they just wanted to sit in our warm car for a few minutes because it was cold outside that night...
Really not that different than going through border patrol check points here...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Possible Visit

Looking into taking a trip to Cabo San Lucas. Looking for information on RV campgrounds in that area. Thing maybe going in January. Would like recommendations on campground for overnight stays on the way south. Thanks
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
My wife and i have traveled to mexico for years. We love the mexican people, and their warm welcoming, family oriented culture. We stay away from the large cities and spend our time on the Pacific coast in non touristy smaller coastal villages and towns. Never once have we felt threatened. I know there is still a great deal of fear in America about traveling south of the border but from our own personal experience, traveling many many times to mexico, we just love it.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
My wife and I take the kids to Guanajuato, Mexico every spring. We fly there then travel the country side with friend who live there. The checkpoints do make me nervous but we have never had a problem.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
Thanks for the post! We'll be spending a few months down there come January.
Here's a video of our trip. Enjoy!

Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
We spent a week down at Cabo in April for our 50th, with our 3 kids and their families. They rented a house big enough for all of use plus a pool. And they picked up the tab for most of it. What a family. Best part was going out on a charter boat and seeing the 2 grandsons each catch a fish (bonita).
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote