Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mission , Texas
Baja camping suggestions

We want to spend about a month traveling to/from Cabo. Any recent experiences? Especially Todos Santos near Cabo.
ghamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Be safe, you're putting yourself in jeopardy.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We made several dune buggy/camping trips throughout Baja and mainland Mexico in the 80s. We still go to San Jose del Cabo once every year, but now we fly.

Our policy has always been "never take anything you would not walk away from", because you may just have to do that. We had great times, never any trouble of any kind.

That said, I would not tow all the way to Todos Santos unless with a well organized caravan. If you have bad trouble with your TV or your trailer it might not go well.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Be safe, you're putting yourself in jeopardy.
Nonsense
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post

Nonsense
Agree, I would be more concerned about the US part of the trip. In the last 15 years I have made over 30 trips to Mexico from one day to 3 months. Not once have I ever felt in danger or had the least bit of trouble with the citizens of Mexico. The only problems I have seen were with drunk and stupid gringos.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

We visit San Jose del Cabo in our boat every year and have driven the roads frequently. We live in Mexico 9 months of the year.
We took our travel trailer from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas ten years ago.
There was a spectacular Campground on the beach near Todos Santos but it may be closed as land is too valuable for a beach front campground. The same for the Vagabundos del Mar Campground in Cabo San Lucas. When we passed it last year, it appeared to be closed. Best information on campgrounds is in the most recent book by Dwight and Terre Church, updated on their website.
If you can't camp on the beach at Todos Santos, there is lots of beach front camping in Bahia Los Angeles, Mulegue and Conception Bay.
We stay on our boat in remote anchorages all across the Baha and have never had a single actual or threatened violent act in over 25 years of travel in the boat and in various r.vs. A few isolated instances of petty theft, some petty gas station fraud and a couple of unauthorized charges on our credit card have been it.
The road down Baja is not the greatest; it is two lane nearly all the way and narrow, curvy and heavily traveled by trucks and buses. Some parts of it are rutted. Thousands make the trip without incident but I suggest driving in the day and slowly and carefully. Don't plan on making time--a long day might be 200-300 miles.
On our travel trailer trips we carried a spare tire and a backup un mounted tire. In hot weather our ST tires blew up so we went to LT tires. RV parts are unavailable in Mexico so we carried spares. A water pump is handy as well as parts and fittings for repairing cabinets jarred open by rough roads.
Some of the campgrounds had do it yourself wiring so we carried a polarity tester, a 15 amp three prong to two prong converter wired so we could ground the circuit to a water pipe with an alligator clip. Voltage is usually on the high side but it didn't damage our rig. If the voltage was so low that our converter protested, we would disconnect. Some of the spectacular camping is off the grid so be prepared to boon dock.
Many of the people who you come in contact with speak rudimentary English but it helps to speak enough Spanish to ask directions, order in a restaurant or discuss car and trailer repairs.
The only time I have ever been pulled over is when I violate a traffic law. One way streets are sometimes poorly marked and it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction whether you can turn right on red or turn left without a green arrow. I don't like to pay mordida so I politely ask for a traffic ticket and don't get flustered. Usually I am let off with a warning.
Officials are almost always courteous and professional. Tourism is a big part of the economy and officials want to make you feel welcome.
A companion or caravan might make the trip feel more comfortable but I would not hesitate to travel alone.
Please post about your trip.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My apology in advance to Ghamr for budding in to his thread.

I started a thread 10/18/15 titled "Mexico" which may have some valuable information. There are some good books and other resources. Bottom line is Mexico travel is safe with certain considerations: don't travel at night, watch your change at gas stations, use cash, and road conditions are not up to US standards.

There is safety in numbers. If you are interested in a trip to Baja or Mexico in general get in touch with me and I may be able to organize a caravan.

Also Baja may not be a good choice until later in spring because an extreme El Nino is expected.