Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Badlands/Yellowstone from midwest

Going to take a trip from IL to Yellowstone in the fall '05, then stop at Badlands on the way back.

I am looking for which road into Yellowstone to Fishing Bridge that is the least mountaineous and switchbacks coming from IL.

I am told that the east entrance from Cody is sometimes closed plus quite a trip, so wondering if anyone can give me information on their way of traveling. Will be pulling a 31'. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Tx!
heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven
Going to take a trip from IL to Yellowstone in the fall '05, then stop at Badlands on the way back.

I am looking for which road into Yellowstone to Fishing Bridge that is the least mountaineous and switchbacks coming from IL.

I am told that the east entrance from Cody is sometimes closed plus quite a trip, so wondering if anyone can give me information on their way of traveling. Will be pulling a 31'. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Tx!
Every time we have gone (4) we have taken the east entrance through Cody. Be sure to stop in Cody and take in the Rodeo. They have one every night in the summer. The roads arn't that bad, but to you flatlanders, (I used to live in Wisconsin) Going down hill you will have some pucker. Remember go down hill in the same gear you went up. Just take your time and everything will be ok.

That country is mighty beautiful. I think heaven must be like fly fishing on the fire hole river in July. I can't wait to go back.

Mark
Old 01-31-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Bozeman , Montana
My recomendation

You could take I-90 to Livingston Montana, then head south about 90 miles to the North Entrance at Gardner. That was one of the original rail routes and should be an easy pull. The rails ended at Gardiner and from that point on you're going to be in the mountains and hills of Yellowstone. I would recommend Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris Junction then East to Canyon Village then South to Fishing Bridge. The North Entrance also has a road that would take you over Dunraven Pass at 8859 ft. which I wouldn't recommend, but is a nice drive once you've parked the trailer. Another option would be to drop down into Wyoming and come in the South Entrance. You would turn right at the West Thumb Geyser Basin and go directly to Fishing Bridge. Check out the maps, road conditions and "how to get to Yellowstone at the Yellowsone Park website:www.nps.gov/yell/home.htm

Yellowstone is a great place, have fun.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Last summer the North Entrance was closed when we were there. You couldn't get anywhere into the park from Gardner. Real bummer, we had friends of the family living in Gardner, and he was a fly fishing guide.

Mark
Old 01-31-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven

Tx!
There is no way to get to Fishing Bridge without some mountains. However, I think that the best route would be from Cody. Coming in from Gardner would be quite a bit farther, and the drive over Mount Washburn would probably be the most mountainous (other than the North East entrance). Assuming you've got halfway decent brakes you shouldn't have any problems.

The road coming up from Jackson Hole isn't too bad either, but I don't know which route you are planning to take from IL, and whether that would add appreciably to your trip distance. If you want to see some different scenery -- like the Tetons, for example, then I'd go through Jackson Hole on your way into the park and then return via Cody to the Badlands (assuming this means Rapid City et al).

Also, be sure to check the plans for road construction in the park this year before finalizing your plans because they invariably close, or have major road construction, in at least one place or another every year. And, this road construction means DESTRUCTION for RVers, and driving over any mountains in the park can be preferrable!

John
Old 01-31-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Well, we have been to Yellerstone about 5 times and we found that 16 is the least of the steep grades. This is coming from a flat lander. There are still some healthy grades, but this is a more traveled route. We love to stay in Cody! Our oldest is named for the town. When we are planning out trips we always check the Yellowstone web page for the road closing schedule and even call the day we are leaving to see what is going on.

Coming in the south entrance is also an option. You will drive through Grand Teton NP getting to the South entrance, and WOW what a beautiful strech of road.

If your up for some serious driving head around to the west entrance via West Yellowstone. But you will add a couple of days to your trip.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Into Yellowstone. . .

We've traveled the different routes into Yellowstone, but for your trip, planning to exit out to the Badlands, we would recommend that southern route across Wyoming, up the Green River valley (take time to explore the history along the way) nto Jackson Hole and the incredible Tetons and then into Yellowstone. Flag Ranch located between the two parks is a decent stay before you head on up, convenient for day trips into Jackson and the southern parts of Yellowstone. What a grand trip to anticipate this winter! Don't miss Cody, though it may take another visit. You always have to leave something to bring you back to this magnificent country! For years we thought Yellowstone was a continent away and didn't dream of traveling so far when the family was young and would really have enjoyed it. Now we've gone 5 or 6 times in the past few years, think nothing of the miles to go, and cannot wait to get back again. We can imagine spending the summer like Flyfisher does If so, we'd stay north of Yellowstone. The parks are the ultimate delight, but the drive out across the plains is another of our favorites. Some call it boring; we call it big sky magic and cannot wait to see the horizon stretching out forever!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
What about Winter?

If you can't wait, you can do what my child and I did in the cold weather going in from West Yellowstone. That is the Madison River that the Buffalo is eating at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Madison River.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	10278  
RickStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Some Ideas

I have lived in Jackson and Cody and agree with peoples suggestions in the posts above.

Consider the following loop:
START:
I-80 west - check out Cabelas bargain cave at either Sidney or Kearney, and some of the museums along the way. Try Ole's Big Game Bar in Paxton, NE - used to be a fun place to eat RM Oysters. Maybe even Car Henge if interested...

From I-80 to Jackson via Pinedale - I second the Green River Drainage - you can go north from Rock Springs bypassing most of the drainage to Pinedale or take 372 north to Fontanelle Res - be sure and check out Names Hill where Jim Bridger scratched his name into the rock. If you take this route - there is a great drive in burger joint in Big Piney. If you have time you can check out Pinedale, nice town, good places to camp - the road to the head waters of the Green can be complete washboard, so you may want to leave the trailer in Pinedale and do a day excursion.

Pinedale to Jackson - Nice drive - look for moose when you drop into the Hoback drainage. There are lots of Nat'l Forest campgrounds in Hoback Canyon after Bondurant.

Jackson to Yellowstone - this is the south entrance - pretty easy driving, traffic can be slow with tourists but its good to go slow through beautiful country. This whole corridor is loaded with good stuff, The Tetons, The Gros Ventres, Snake River, great restaurants etc - spend a few days here, Jackson is pretty touristy but fun. Take the Gondola to Rendesvous Peak at Teton Village if you don't have time to hike into the Tetons. Raft the Snake. You could base camp around Jackson and day trip into the southern portion of Yellowstone while checking out the surrounding areas. Fishing is abundant and good, sorry but I swore an oath regarding my honey holes, and am pleading the fifth...

Yellowstone - Tons to see and do, camp where you wish and day trip from there - you will most likely need reservations depending on time and year. If you walk just 1/2 hour more than the rest of society, you feel like you have the place to your self. Most of the main sights are drive up, and require little walking (compared to Glacier as an example).

Yellowstone to Cody - this is the West Entrance over Silvan Pass - its not knarly, just gear down and go slow. I am recommending this route over the northern route, just because there is some great stuff in Cody that beats out the other routes.

Cody - camp in town, as mentioned above check out the Cody Night Rodeo. The Buffalo Bill Historical Center http://www.bbhc.org/index_flash.cfm is one of a kind - you can take two days to go through it and not feel like you scratched the surface. There is Old Trail Town and rafting the Shoshone - I used to guide for Wyoming River Trips http://www.wyomingrivertrips.com/ - tell em Flounder sent ya - Rick and Ron Blanchard run a top notch outfit. Fishing is great here also - see Tim at the North Fork Angler.

Cody to I-90 - head east across the Bighorn basin to Greybull and then up and over the Bighorns - great camping in the Bighorns - check out the Medicine wheel. Once on the East side of the Bighorns - consider a quick jaunt North to see Little Bighorn National Battlefield on the Crow Reservation - really and interesting visit if you enjoy history. If not, then head to Devils Tower National Monument via Sheridan.

I-90 to Home - At Devils Tower - you are on the Western side of the BlackHills - next stops to consider are Mt Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Wall Drug, the Badlands, and of course - the Corn Palace in Mitchell. All of these are neat and worth seeing depending on your schedule. The Blackhills are beautiful and camping is only a problem around bikers week in Sturgis.

Okay - I took too much space, I will try and post a route map if I can. Good luck and enjoy.

Kevin
mbatm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

WOW! Thanks to everybody that gave me their quick replys on their favorite routes! I am going to check every one of the routes out and figure out which way to go. And yes, we have good brakes (I am counting on them!).

It is always nice to hear how you have gone previously pulling an airstream. We were to the Rockies but never pulling thru Yellowstone. It will be interesting and beautiful I am sure. Can't wait to go, but only have 2 weeks so have to measure time carefully.

If anymore ideas - I will be here! Thanks again!
Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Yeah, what he said!

I would also recommend the south route, you could go I-70 west to Denver (really make some time but see some nice areas) head north through Rocky Mountain National Park, Ft. Collins and into Wyoming, go north to Laramie then west through the Snowy Mountain Range (Centennial, WY) proceeding northwest and up through Jackson Hole, Teton National Park and the south entrance to Yellowstone. We stayed in Jackson Hole for one week with day hiking trips in the Tetons and into Yellowstone. Go out through the north in Montana head east through Devil's Tower (Close Encounters Of The Third Kind), Custer's Battlefield National Park, into South Dakota (make sure to stay at Custer State Park)...then proceed home with memories and longing to do it all again.

Our best friends are wanting us to go out with them in June...not sure it will be in the budget though. Have to see what Unca' Sam gives back this year.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Kevin, you name many of our favorites! I agree about Hoback-never mentioned in anything, but a gorgeous stretch of river and canyon. Exiting over Sylvan Pass to Cody has me clutching anything in sight again, just as I did when we drove it. I swore I'd never do it again pulling a trailer, but, yeah. . .I probably would! KOA's aren't the most scenic, except for the one we stayed at --at the foot of Devil's Tower. Now, that was grand. And they play "Close Encounters. . ." outdoors nightly, under the looming Tower for guests One of our most magical trip moments was visiting the Tower when a group of Native Americans were ascending in a ceremonial singing, tying sacred tokens on the cedars along the way. . .we wished we understood the words, but the spirit was clear.
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 02-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Max and Georgia - what a great experience at Devils Tower! I visited the Pow Wow's held at BBHC in Cody, and I completely understand your point - very moving to witnessI didn't know about the KOA showing the film, that would be a hoot.

Zamboni's recommendation of the southern route is a great one. The Snowy Mtn range is one of my favorites.

Kevin
Old 02-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

I agree, Snowy Mtn range in beautiful. We were there 2 years in a row, and would go back again. I like the route coming up thru RMNP, I would probably want to stop there again though. Unfortunately, we can only do so much in the time alloted. Retirement just isn't close enough!! After reading about Sylvan Pass though, I may think twice about going that route! Still undecided though. I clutched everything in site the 1st time I came down Rt. 80 into Laramie, I can't imagine what I would do at Sylvan Pass.

Once we get into Yellowstone, is one road better than another to get to Fishing Bridge? That may help me decide also, which direction we come from and which way is worse once we get in.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
If you were uncomfortable on I-80 into Laramie you will definately be uncomfortable on Sylvan Pass. But again - it is traversed by thousands each summer who seem to make it just fine. Sounds like you have enough respect for the road to take your time and be safe, so I think you will manage just fine. It is worth it.

You could also take 287 out of Moran Juction over Togwotee and into Dubois (pronounced the American way, not French). Very beautiful, not as daunting. If you take this route - once you hit Riverton go north to Shoshoni - you have to stop at the drug store on the East edge of town that has the "Best Milk Shakes in the World" and I tend to agree with them. You could spend the night in Thermopolis - nice campgrounds and Hot springs. Then either head to Cody or go over the Bighorns.

Lots of fun planning...I am enjoying myself just thinking about it - may have to make a trip up there my self soon...
Old 02-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

How to reserve a spot?

Rookie Question here.
We have never been to Yellowstone and reading this thread makes me wanna quit my job and head north.
Anyhow realistically, I want to get info on how to reserve a spot to camp out. After looking it up on Google,it seems that the NPS reservation site is only for Cabins, hotels, and the like nothing for the camper like myself.
Is there a website or a phone where I can reserve a spot?
Is it anything like Yosemite?
Looking for Labor Day weekend.
Hidalgo
Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Hildalgo,

You can call Xanterra Lodges for campground reservations in Yellowstone at 307-344-7311
They can set you up. Fishing Bridge is the only RV park with full hookups. Its tight, and not too pretty. Grant Village on the shores of the West Thumb of Yellowstone Lake is very pretty. Madison Campground 14 miles into the the park from West Yellowstone (WEST GATE TOWN) is also verrrry nice. Mammoth is ok, too. The road between Tower/Roosevelt over Dunraven Pass to Canyon Village is closed for reconstruction the last we heard from friends who still work in the Park as I did for 15 years.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:07 AM   #18
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
The REAL jewel of the area is the Grand Teton National Park. Much, much more scenic and more game. It also has better facilities. Stay at the Coulter Bay campground or at Flagg Ranch (full connections). Tour Yellowstone without the trailer. Yellowstone is interesting. There ARE beautiful areas, but the breathtaking beauty is in the Tetons.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Thanks.

I like the suggestion Co Bus and GS, now how to go about reserving a spot in The Tetons Nat'l Park?
I am looking to book asap to make out our calendar.
HIdalgo
Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hidalgo, in the Tetons, check out Jenny Lake Campground: in an absolutely knockout location, just at the foot of some of the largest peaks and by the lovely Jenny Lake. My memory is that most of these campgrounds in the parks are "first come, first site" so you have to be in line at the entry EARLY in the am-probably before 9 am to get a site, as early birds are leaving. Check about this, but it's located in a gorgeous place. When day tripping, stop in and see Jenny Lake Lodge. We have stayed there and it was a great experience; JLL is one of the well known lodges in the US. Whilel there, take the ferry across Jenny Lake to hike to a beautiful waterfall. The more hearty will hike around the lake, hike up to the falls, hike back around the lake, but we took the ferry! Sounds like a great trip you are planning
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU