Old 08-23-2005, 10:04 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
6xblessed was ranting on the first half day her family was there, and 2nd hand info to boot. I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I am disappointed that she hasn't updated us on whether the residents have mellowed, or weren't as hard nosed as their first impressions indicated.

In my book no news is good news, and if the problem persisted, she'd have posted again. Maybe she's a little embarrassed that she went off prematurely, who knows?

BTW, when I first read Rob's post, I thought, "I bet he's resident there, but won't cop to it."

Oh, IBTL.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I'd be much surprised if Lauren's desire to share her feelings and experience had not dissipated by now. I keep thinking to myself, "there but for the grace of God go I." Is it wrong to be glad it wasn't me that got overanalyzed and raked over the coals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
6xblessed was ranting on the first half day her family was there, and 2nd hand info to boot. I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I am disappointed that she hasn't updated us on whether the residents have mellowed, or weren't as hard nosed as their first impressions indicated.

In my book no news is good news, and if the problem persisted, she'd have posted again. Maybe she's a little embarrassed that she went off prematurely, who knows?

BTW, when I first read Rob's post, I thought, "I bet he's resident there, but won't cop to it."

Oh, IBTL.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob McGraw
The original post by "6xblessd" reeks of self centered and discriminatory attitudes and behavior. It really bothers me on a number of levels, so I just HAVE to respond...sorry!
I read the original post...Im unbiased and have nothing invested here...I havent spoken with anyone on this post...based on observation though "6xblessd" remarks weren't mean spirited, filled with attitude, self-centered, or "filled with drama" ...although I must say yours certainly were. I thoroughly understood her matter-of-fact account to be a reasonably civil assessment of her family's experience, albeit some "older" neighbors not being too friendly. That, however, is an issue of hurt feelings...something everybody needs to get over. You are addressing a Woman. Where I come from MEN dont berate women or act disrespectfully to them. Things that YOU need to realize:

(1) For the love of Mike...We're talking about CAMPING!
(2) Respect is something that is GIVEN....NOT RECEIVED
(2) Some rules are made to be broken
(3) I have shoes that are older than you are
(4) You sound like you got YOUR feelings hurt...get over it.
(5) Granted Im not "6xblessd", but if I were and found myself on the receiving
end of the off-handed remark you've made about her child-rearing skills
believe me...we would have some VERY serious issues.

Thats my $99 worth sunshine.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #18
Still wears a thong

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikagurl
I read the original post...Im unbiased and have nothing invested here...I havent spoken with anyone on this post...based on observation though "6xblessd" remarks weren't mean spirited, filled with attitude, self-centered, or "filled with drama" ...although I must say yours certainly were. I thoroughly understood her matter-of-fact account to be a reasonably civil assessment of her family's experience, albeit some "older" neighbors not being too friendly. That, however, is an issue of hurt feelings...something everybody needs to get over. You are addressing a Woman. Where I come from MEN dont berate women or act disrespectfully to them. Things that YOU need to realize:

(1) For the love of Mike...We're talking about CAMPING!
(2) Respect is something that is GIVEN....NOT RECEIVED
(2) Some rules are made to be broken
(3) I have shoes that are older than you are
(4) You sound like you got YOUR feelings hurt...get over it.
(5) Granted Im not "6xblessd", but if I were and found myself on the receiving
end of the off-handed remark you've made about her child-rearing skills
believe me...we would have some VERY serious issues.

Thats my $99 worth sunshine.
You go girl!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Hello Everyone,

I was made aware of this thread by one of the shareholders at the Minnestoa Airstream Park, and would like to respond.

I bought my share and corresponding lot at the Minnesota Airstream Park last fall after it came up in a web search for Airstream parts....what a find! I looked at the "for sale" list, contacted the folks listed on the website, pondered which lot suited me best, then checked over the bylaws and financials. A few weeks later I made my choice and closed on a share. I found the "Airstream-only" aspect to be entirely enchanting. This is where I have to confess that my grandparents had an Airstream when I was growing up, so affection for Airstreams started in my childhood. Growing up in a small, rural ND community, it was as though a spaceship landed when an Airstream came to town, ha!

That said, I have enjoyed the park and the other people at the park so much that my enthusiasm has been contagious. Two friends of mine also purchased shares within the last few months. A third friend plans to purchase a share as soon as he locates an Airstream that meets his criteria and as his budget (could be a while).

Since age has been mentioned, I'll share with the forum that I was born in the 1970's, my friends who each bought shares are both under 40, and one has a 4 year old daughter. The third friend is in his mid 50's. There are other owners in their 30's and 40's. All of the other "younger people" at the park that I've spoken to enjoy and value the more "seasoned citizens" at the park, many of whom have owned their shares for decades. I was raised to respect the wisdom that comes with age. As such, I consider the number of older folks at the Minnesota Airstream Park to be an awesome fringe benefit of owning a share of the beautiful park that they built. My experiences at the park have been great. The so-called "old people" have been very welcoming, helpful, and very kind. I have yet to meet the proverbial "grumpy old man" (though he or she may be out there). In fact, there are some of the other shareholders that I'd like to adopt as Grandparents!

Just think of it though, a whole park full of people with Airstream experience (some with several decades), what a resource! I've already learned so much about Airstreaming "best practices" for towing, repair, maintenance, etc. One of my friends who bought a share also bought a 2003 Bambi. He had never towed an Airstream, so was entirely appreciative of the instructions and assistance other residents (young and old) willingly provided. One very special 80 yr old gentleman even rode with him as a guide while they did a test run together, how cool is that?!

Now as to the original "bad experience" post, it's hard for me to speculate what went wrong for these folks. Sometimes a person just gets started on the wrong foot.

It's true, the park does limit the number of units to one per lot in order to manage density. Though the lots are large they just weren't built to accommodate more than one unit, having only one electrical panel, one sewer, etc. It's also true that the use of the park is technically limited to shareholders and immediate family (and renters of course), though consideration has been given to changing that to extended family. Guests (family or non-family) are welcome if the shareholder is present. Again, this is about managing density and use of park facilities (like the free golf course). It also avoids the need for park staff to "police" who has permission to use a lot and who doesn't. I consider these to be reasonable expectations.

I believe 6XBLESSED could have been accommodated without incident if there had been sufficient communication prior to their arrival. After hearing about the negative post, I did speak with other shareholders to see if anyone had additional information regarding their experience. I am trying hard (with the help of others) to promote the park, so we want to understand the issues here. What I learned was that one lady felt the kids were very well behaved, well raised children, and she told them so. Another echoed that thought. All were aware that the shareholder wasn't present, but didn't make an issue of it. One shareholder DID bring up to the visitors that two units on one lot isn't allowed knowing they were visitors, but did so to inform, not out of spite. That would be easy to take the wrong way, especially if it involved a poor choice of words or sounded harsh, as it may have.

One post referred to the possibility that the kids were bored. That is possible. The park has great amenities, some of which (like the pool) are of interest to children, and others aren't. Kids and grandkids of shareholders and renters come to the park, but mostly on the weekends, so there may not have been many other children to play with, if any. Some shareholders have expressed a desire to raise money for the installation of playground equipment, but we don't have it yet. I believe the children of 6XBLESSED did enjoy the use of the computer and free internet access in the clubhouse though, which is great.

Hopefully, whatever went wrong for 6XBLESSED has been rectified. I did notice this past Sunday that they had returned to the park, and heard that one very kind and "grandmotherly" shareholder gave the children helium balloons left over from our open house for their enjoyment. However, if there is still an issue, please send me a private message (or a post) as I'd like to discuss it. We want to maintain a welcoming environment at our park.

Sorry about the long post.

Best Regards,

David Piehl
Minnesota Airstream Park Shareholder
Old 08-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
good and bad karma for those deserving

A very smart person one time told me that to the customer, perception is reality.

Need I say more.

BTW, I have just spread as much karma on this subject as I could.

Have a nice day.

Mark
Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
A very smart person one time told me that to the customer, perception is reality.

Have a nice day.

Mark
I agree with Mark. The customer's perception is reality. It is also true that one customer's reality is not the same as anothers.

Our perception and reality is one of having been warmly welcomed by this park. We will return often to the park, and enjoy it greatly. We were warmly invited for rounds of golf by the owners of the spot next to us, invited to attend happy hour as we walked the circles, invited to look in many trailers around the park as we walked, and invited to participate in bon-fires with complete strangers.

We are firm believers that people of all ages and walks in life have great things to offer and knowledge to share. We look forward to learning more from the people of the Minnesota Airstream park. We believe in learning from not only the good, but also the less than pleasant. There is often great lessons to learn from the painful experiences. I know that I'm not "on" all of the time, so I'm not going to expect everyone else to be either.

If in reading this post you wonder: We are not owners, nor are we from the great generation.

We are sorry that anyone experienced a problem at the Minnesota Park, or any park for that manner. I just hope everyone reading this thread has offered us all a chance to think about the way they interact with others and we all find a way to greet other airstreamers (of all types) and non-airstreamers alike with a positive Karma whenever possible. We are all stewards of the Airstream lifestyle. We have that privilege and that responsibility to greeting all others in a welcoming and positive way.(for those who would like to give the world a coke - "perfect harmony" ) How else will we increase the demand for and thus the value of our trailers? (for the financially motivated) See there's motivation to be nice for everyone!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:04 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Tin Hut
You go girl!

Now THAT is FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!
IM NOT A GIRL!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikagurl
Now THAT is FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!
IM NOT A GIRL!!!!!!
Umm, when we talked about getting in touch with your feminine side, I had no idea it would come to this!...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Umm, when we talked about getting in touch with your feminine side, I had no idea it would come to this!...

ok, ok....I guess I left myself WIDE OPEN to that one!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Ok, I'll be brave enough to make another appearance here

Thanks to all who responded (yes, even to those who flamed me, believe it or not). I suppose I hadn't taken into account the fact that I actually might hurt some people's feelings with my remarks, and for that I am sorry. I am NOT sorry, however, for pointing out that younger Airstreamers can be made to feel unwelcome in certain circles. If my comments make even ONE person think twice about their attitudes toward Airstreamers with young families, then I am glad to have had the opportunity to assist in positive change.

My comment about the "soap opera" was tongue-in-cheek, and I had to laugh out loud about some things that were said about me . We are hardly rule-breakers of any sort..........I've never even gotten a speeding ticket, for heaven's sake <g> I do realize, however, that internet communication doesn't allow for really getting to know a person at all, and words can easily be misconstrued.

I want to add that my husband has since had a much more positive experience at the Park, and I would like to thank each and every one of those kind people who went out of their way to make my family feel more welcome after my first posting. It is much appreciated. I will readily admit that I have never been one to keep quiet when I feel that anybody in my family has been treated with less kindness than they deserve---and I will also readily admit that sometimes I speak too quickly without necessarily considering all the ramifications of my comments. The internet isn't a very big part of my life (hmm, I wonder why, with six young children and a full-time job)), and I didn't take into account how much ruckus my venting about an unpleasant experiece would cause.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I had a similiarly bad experience with my two kids at Top Of Georgia Airstream Park. We were enthusiastic about going there, it being our first trip to a park like that. We got grief about many things the kids did, none of which was founded in reality. I also got a lecture about my dog who was not causing any problem, was leashed and being walked to a forest trail. At the same time there were a few members who were much more a nuisance themselves then the kids were.
This may have been an isolated incident, but it ruined our weekend, and we left early the next morning. I have not been back to that park, gave up my WBCCI membership after that and was turned off totally to the Georgia chapter.
We have participated in 7 Forum Rallys, and have had a great time at each. We will continue to make that our avenue for Airstream fellowship in the future.
(This is not to be considered a reflection on any other chapter of the WBCCI., or Vintage AS Clubs)
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
We have participated in 7 Forum Rallys, and have had a great time at each. We will continue to make that our avenue for Airstream fellowship in the future.
Alan,

And that is why we'll be back in October!! (I'll bring my bass guitar this time)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Thumbs up There for a moment....

I thought you were 6xblessed, Ron. I guess pizza creates healthy kids. My son kept telling me that as he was growing up.....

Great pictures. Next time you're going through Kansas, stop and see us.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote