Old 08-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #29
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We actually had the upper back cabinet work its way loose and fall out on the bed on Bambi the First. We weren't even on any rough roads: all Interstate driving. It was under warranty with the dealer so we didn't have to pay for fixing it, but it was a nuisance, as we were outbound on a 6-week trip and didn't plan to come home anytime soon.

The other problem was that the fridge door didn't latch well. Stuff would fall out. We never packed raw eggs in the shell. Something else to think about on a rough road.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , Colorado
Ignore the negative responses... they are all correct

Everyone knows that in British Columbia you camp in an aluminum Aircraft, not an Airstream.

There are two kinds of roads in BC. Asphalt and No Fault.

When you get stuck, it is No Fault of yours, its the lack of Asphalt.

Fire Service Roads in BC are all better than the roads into Chaco Canyon. Just more brush, trees, marshes, mud, stumps, bear, moose, stuck water haulers and an occasional VW Beetle.

As everyone who has commented about their Airstreams not being capable of towing on the US Interstate system without popping rivets... just keep metal lath screws handy and a fresh battery to torque the philips head to where the drill stalls.

If Airstreams had wings, they could fly.

If Airstreams were more water tight, they could float to a campsite.

If you try any of the above... please tell us how it all worked out. I will provide the Lath Screws, they are how you keep count of good experiences Boondocking.

A double axle up to 23 feet are the best Airstreams to Boondock. Upgrade the wheels and tires, if necessary.

Atomic No. 13... his trailer looks too good to have even been taken on a dusty road in the Mohave Desert. His idea of Boondocking is a pullout on California Highway One, so the family can get some sand between their toes... Congratulations No. 13, I hear that Atomic No. 4 is on 'his' way. If it is a girl... Beryllium.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Reseda , California
Well all of this talk of rivets popping and cabinets coming off the walls is, shall we say, counter to the hype about how well they're built!

Thanks again to everyone for their input!
Old 08-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Your Airstream will be Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymd View Post
Well all of this talk of rivets popping and cabinets coming off the walls is, shall we say, counter to the hype about how well they're built!

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Your trailer will be perfect. Rivets will all remain where they belong. It will not leak. Tires will outlive you, as the owner. Brakes... who needs brakes? Batteries? Who needs fresh batteries, when plugged into a 30 amp outlet in the garage? A perfect trailer under perfect conditions!

Do not let those who abuse their trailers interfere with your decision... by using their Airstream. A lot.

I have a two pairs of Vasque climbing boots. Size 11 1/2. My feet for some reason are now 11 and 3/4". One pair is forty years old. The other, thirty. Resoled the older pair, at least once. They remain water sealed and taken care of, every time I move them out of the way. They might out live me. I will wager, they will. Your Airstream can do the same!

Park it in the garage, spend a week or two within the comfortable surroundings every three months. It is the best and ONLY way to keep your Airstream, perfect.

Those people, like myself... just beat the rivets out of their Airstream... and love every missing rivet and wash the dust, and forbid... mud off, frequently.

Go for it. Buy my two pair of Vasque boots. They weigh as much as your trailer hitch and last as long as an Airstream. Sit them into your trailer as a reminder... there are worse things you could do with your hard earned savings!
Old 08-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Make it fit your... feet before purchasing.

My boots are size 12B. B is for narrow. Vibrum soles. Shoe laces were replaced with new originals years ago. Lots of tread remaining on both... no doubt upgraded to Michelin tread

Will look good in your closet. Will last for generations.

This is not different with an Airstream. They do wear out. They do come apart when least expected. Sometimes the size you now own... does not fit your current needs.

If anyone looking for a SOB trailer... go ahead. When you figure out that the SOB dose not fit... get one that does fit. At least, your feet will not hurt.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Have any of you AS'rs traveled the 19 highway from Erie Pa to Tampa Fl? I think it would be an awesome trip but wonder about availability of parking I don't really need a camp ground because I carry a generator but would need a few nights of parking, any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I have had my 1978 AS for many years and towed many thousand miles and have not had any rivets pop and only one small leak at a roof vent. I would never buy a new AS even if I could afford one the quality is not there anymore.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thiss,
Yes, I carry a 12v air comp, as well as a compact battery for jump starts. Tow straps, shovel, lanterns, medical kit, machete, snow chains etc. are in my Jeep GC stowed in a compact Plano cargo box. And yes, I've used most of it.

Ray,
"A double axle up to 23 feet are the best Airstreams to Boondock. Upgrade the wheels and tires, if necessary.".
I agree, for several reasons - which is why we chose the FC23FB and upgraded to 15" wheels and LTX M&S tires. It has served us very well since our 2011 maiden voyage into Chaco Canyon and many many rougher miles since. I may just add the Dexter lift kit for next season, as we explore more of the 'wild west'.

Bev,
Glad that your 78 still serves you. Is the quality of newer airstreams actually lower than that of older builds? I doubt that. With 43,700 well traveled miles (just added 1600 happy miles from Hesperus CO to Graham WA with 2 yr and 5 yr grandkids aboard), our 2011 FC23FB still shines with all original rivets in place. I can't see buying another new one, simply because the structural and technical improvements are so few and insignificant. Should Airstream offer automotive style retracting thermal pane windows, better insulation, better underbelly cladding and significant exterior cargo capacity, I might be tempted.

To the OP: Yes, you can use an Airstream on backroads. Many of us do that and more. Others find such beyond their comfort zones, and that is fine. People differ widely in risk tolerance and desire for adventure. It's generally not the equipment that limits us.

Safe Travels,
Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #37
aap
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Please see my recent post on same

Please see my recent post below as there is some good experience and information related to same - in fact, I have a trip planned for BC in mid September (if I get my trailer back by then )

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ng-155959.html

Thanks,
Anthony/Angela
Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
We haul our 24' A/S many miles--some of them at planing speed--up the Forestry Trunk Road in Alberta to fish the Old Man river every year, and haul on miscellaneous F/S roads elsewhere in BC to get to other rivers and lakes. No problems. We do have many small dents in the forward gravel guards, but see them as badges of honor. One caveat: make sure you have additional locking devices on cabinets. In our case the mirrored cabinet in the bathroom wants to swing open so we attached little velcro strips to aid the inadequate installed latch.

I guarantee that no matter how far into the boonies you go, you'll see somebody coming out from even farther in who's done ok, so don't sweat it. But be prudent. I've had to slow dance some segments, traveling less than a mile in more than an hour, but that's part of the fun! Oh, and sometime let me tell you about the 167 point turn I had to do to get out of a dead end. It literally took over two hours, required saw and hatchet work, and at the end I was so tired, I camped in place for the night. But a Crown Royal and soda never tasted so good.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
We haul our 24' A/S many miles--some of them at planing speed--up the Forestry Trunk Road in Alberta to fish the Old Man river every year, and haul on miscellaneous F/S roads elsewhere in BC to get to other rivers and lakes. No problems. We do have many small dents in the forward gravel guards, but see them as badges of honor. One caveat: make sure you have additional locking devices on cabinets. In our case the mirrored cabinet in the bathroom wants to swing open so we attached little velcro strips to aid the inadequate installed latch.

I guarantee that no matter how far into the boonies you go, you'll see somebody coming out from even farther in who's done ok, so don't sweat it. But be prudent. I've had to slow dance some segments, traveling less than a mile in more than an hour, but that's part of the fun! Oh, and sometime let me tell you about the 167 point turn I had to do to get out of a dead end. It literally took over two hours, required saw and hatchet work, and at the end I was so tired, I camped in place for the night. But a Crown Royal and soda never tasted so good.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

That sort of camping would definitely drive me to drink :-)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #40
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Maybe check with your insurance agent before risking damage to your AS before towing it on a rough road. You can always visit the back-of-beyond with your tow vehicle alone, and scout out whether it is a good place to tow your AS in the near future.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Risk is relative. A rough forest road is generally safer than a highway with distracted drivers chatting or texting. A damaged waste water outlet is repairable.

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote