Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #61
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Practice!
For anyone that can get to Jackson Center with their trailer on Memorial Day, I'll be there at that time, and can give tutorials and backing-up lessons for the reverse-directionally challenged. By the time we're done, while you may not be the smoothest backer in town, you should be able to at least get your trailer backed into a spot without mass destruction.
I'm also giving the first seminar of the event on Tuesday, it's supposed to be about maintenance, but I can be persuaded to give more backing lessons, or at least tips and tricks instead, if needed.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
jcanavara has a really good tip/process. I try to never back up with out a spotter (my wife & navigator) we use two radios and have established a procedure i.e., driver side, passenger side when backing. some have said we use our phones, most of the places we camp are out of cell range i.e. state parks & federal parks is why we use 2 ways, keep them in the passenger side pockets of the door.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #63
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, these are my original and new home parking spaces.

Ahhh-------- LOVE the nice Garage, w/attached Houce

Bob
Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I use the mirrors a lot and the method I learned is to steer towards where you don't want the trailer to go. If you see too much trailer in the right mirror then turn the TV to the right.If you want to see more trailer in the right mirror then turn left. My preference is to have my target landing spot on the left so I can see the side of the trailer in the mirror or by turning my head.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you can brush your hair looking in the mirror, you can back up a trailer looking in the two side mirrors.

Must have two good side mirrors.

Breathe deeply and regularly.

No fear.

Rest dominant driving hand on bottom of steering wheel.

Back up slowly and move hand in direction you want rear of trailer to go (using side mirrors only).

Stop if getting off course and pull forward a bit.

Repeat above.

Practice practice practice in large parking lot.

At some point backing up will become like riding a bicycle (try describing how to learn to do this in words only).

Actually much simpler than all the words here would seem to indicate.

Breathe -- no fear -- practice practice practice.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Safe practice backing

After some thought about this, it came to me a potentially safe way to practice backing up your trailer. Head to a toy store, purchase a toy car with a steering wheel and attach a trailer, practice to one's heart's content. And, after a short time one will master the concept of backing, being able to do so with no risk to life or limb.

The basics are to grasp the understanding of where the vehicles rotate, once learned, the process is more easily mastered in life size.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Get some cones,,, go to an empty parking lot,,,, and practice till you are at least semi proficient.....

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #68
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
I like the idea of renting a Uhaul. To me, those little trailers are tougher to maneuver. I was originally taught to put my hand at twelve o'clock and do the opposite thing. Then someone told me to do six o'clock and move the way you want the trailer to go. Also, your spotter needs to be on the same page. Left means the drivers left etc and stop means...

It will get better!

The spotter should say "drivers side" or "passenger side" into a two way radio. This avoids the left/right reversal of mirrors, and, the need to yell.

Pull forward if needed and as often as needed to correct your entry angle, to avoid trees, posts, boulders, or parked vehicles.

Just as you had to learn how the vehicle reacted to your movement of the steering wheel and your foot pressure on the pedals in driver education, you need repetition to get the feel of how the combo reacts. Empty parking lots, empty cardboard boxes, etc., allow to the practice and experience with very small chances for damage.

If you fail at first, take a deep breath, think over what you did and the degree of turning as well as direction of turn, straighten up, reset boxes if needed, and try again. If you have the attitude that you will succeed, then you will. If your mindset is you can't learn the skills, then you won't......

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
"Breaking Up is Hard to Do"... with a trailer

Backing up is Hard to Do. It is not instinctive. The shorter the trailer, the more difficult. Those with a 16 foot Bambi... the best "backer uppers"!

Find someone with a riding lawn mower and a utility trailer. It might be 4 feet long from the attachment to the back of the trailer. Practice backing it up. It is very difficult, although you can see where the trailer is moving as you move the steering wheel. It is... frustrating for a novice AND someone who believes they can back up an Airstream Trailer!

You will be frustrated. You will hate that "jack knifing" short trailer. You WILL figure it out. It will make you better and realize that part time towing is relearned each and every time you attach your trailer and drive off. You will also learn to PICK from your choices of where to park your trailer.

Your LEFT side view is best option for backing into a spot to detach your trailer. Most trailers will be damaged on the RIGHT and REAR.

Pulling into and out of a gasoline station is probably MORE RISKY than backing up. It is not natural instinctive behavior when towing a trailer tracking behind and clearing obstacles to protect the pumps.

Many great posts. I taught a few new skiers over the years on the slopes of Colorado. It looks... easy. It is not as it is not a natural instinct to ski on snow, but learned by "trail" and mostly... error. Again... frustrating to the novice, but once you figure it out, once off the ski lift it becomes natural and instinctive.

Find your most comfortable place for your hand(s) on the steering wheel. Never vary once you are comfortable. Even myself... when beginning the year will need to get the "feel back". I can back up a tow vehicle with ease. Practice backing up with the tow vehicle... first. Then the riding lawn mower and utility trailer. Then... that 25 foot monster.

When you think you have it all figured out... then go Boondocking to add to your education. You will quickly forget what you learned from following some of these excellent examples from experienced Airstream owners. It is learned by doing it. You will perspire. You will think it impossible. When you do figure it out... it is time to park the trailer for the end of the season. Then start all over again...

If you are feeling incompetent... watch others backing up. You are not alone.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carriere , Mississippi
I found this video that is pretty instructive for 53' trailers - not sure how much is transferable to A/Ss. I have an A/S and have only backed it up once. As he explains in the later series videos, the position of the trailer wheels wrt the end of the trailer makes a big difference. In the second video he starts turning to the right at the midpoint between the rear trailer wheels and the rear tractor wheels and then angles to the left before backing up. It looks easy LOL.

Joel

BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carriere , Mississippi
This video may be helpful - it is for a 53' trailer. In a later video he shows how the position of the trailer wheels wrt the end of the trailer affects backing up. In Pt 2 he begins by turning to the right at the midpoint of the rear trailer wheels and the rear tractor tires and then turns to the left prior to backing up.

BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote