Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
Asking someone to move a vehicle which is blocking my access is not rude. If I were blocking someone else, I would welcome someone pointing this out.
I think there was some miscommunication about what asking someone to move a vehicle means. I believe the original post was about someone who parks a tow vehicle or a toad where it obstructs your ability to get in your site and it was not about their RV.

We had that happen last November in a very cramped campground by the ocean. The great location made up for the tightness. A couple of people had parked cars where it made it difficult to maneuver the truck while I was backing into the space. First I tried to back in and couldn't swing the front end of the truck enough to straighten the trailer in the space so I could park the truck next to it. After trying and coming within an inch of the car fender while the the car owner watched, he was glad to move his car. If the vehicle owner isn't around, then you have a problem.

Sometimes people do park their tow vehicles in your space, but I think that is pretty rare. And sometimes they park their RV in your space because they are confused or dumb. If they won't move or are gone, then it is time to talk to the CG host or owner.

The situation where the sites are so tight you can't get into your space without someone moving their RV seem pretty unusual. I have had problems getting into spaces, usually in old federal CG's, where I had to pull partly into another site to have enough space to properly back into my site. I can't remember anyplace but Yosemite where that was really necessary—we were at the end of a loop, so when we reached our site, the trailer was still turning around the curve and in a really bad spot to back in, so I had to do a lot of back and forth. Fortunately no one was parked on the other side of the access road at that time—those spaces were even worse to back in to.

It is more likely the site will only be wide enough for the trailer and you can't park next to it. Then you have to park across the front (road side) of the site and hope no one hits the tow vehicle. But sometimes people park well into the road and are oblivious to other's needs.

You can and will run into all sorts of access issues over enough time. Mostly people want to help and may have made poor decisions about where they park. In 5 years and well over 40,000 miles, I've only had to suggest someone move once (actually they may have said something themselves first when I approached them—the situation I described above).

Gene

Old 03-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

I learned the hard way.

But it taught me a valuable lesson. I have to back into my driveway, and it's down a steep hill. As soon as I let my foot off the brake, I was going too fast. So I had to stop quite often. I would lose my connection to the process. The moment you start moving, your vehicle becomes an extension of your body. So my advice is to go very slow, so you don't have to stop.
And of course listen to all the other fine advice the forum members are giving. I also use the orange leveler blocks as markers when I want to park in a particular direction in a field.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #45
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've had as much trouble trying to back up the truck for hitching purposes as we have had backing the truck plus trailer.

Has anyone else used these cool devices? Dunno what they're called and we've seen two different styles. Basically they are small poles with magnetic bases. When you're trying to back up the vehicle to hitch up, one goes on the coupler portion of the trailer hitch and the other goes on the ball of the hitch attached to the vehicle. I think Camping World sells a version where the poles are plastic day-glo yellow, but we found a brand with telescopic metal poles with day-glo plastic balls on top.

The idea is that once the poles are in place, the driver can easily see the tips of the poles to align them, either through the rear-view mirrors, or the camera mount on your vehicle, if you have one. This works better than the spouse shouting, "More left!" Because the driver can see how much more "left".

We just bought a set after a neighbouring camper showed us his and how they work. Pretty slick.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
The idea is that once the poles are in place, the driver can easily see the tips of the poles to align them, either through the rear-view mirrors, or the camera mount on your vehicle, if you have one. This works better than the spouse shouting, "More left!" Because the driver can see how much more "left".
I have a set. I can usually do better hooking up with them than when my wife "helps."

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #47
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Hand Signals for Backing Your RV

a very well done 2-part instructional video here - About RVing - RV LifeStyle - RV Travel Full Time RVing - RV Maintenance - RV Repair (also on YouTube),

and an accompanying written document - http://aboutrving.com/pdfs/HandSignals.pdf

worth watching and reading both, for both driver and co-pilot, or other spotter.

ymmv.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tens of thousands of truck drivers, male and female, back tractor trailers ever day without anyone guiding them. It just takes practice. Another person is a help, but basically you just have to do it and learn from that.

Gene
Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Tens of thousands of truck drivers, male and female, back tractor trailers ever day without anyone guiding them. It just takes practice. Another person is a help, but basically you just have to do it and learn from that.

Gene
I finally hit upon a workable system.
I ask my wife ( my official spotter) to use only three commands:
Left, right, and STOP.
She is not to whisper or mumble the STOP command.

So far so good.