Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Practice in a big space first!

Perfectly stated. Find a big parking lot and try to back it into the lined spaces. If you make a mistake the tire only hits the white line

2014 Intl 23' FB
1959 Tradewind 24'
2011 Dodge Dually Crew
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
and don't be shy about asking other campers to move their vehicles!!!!

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
If you get in a muddle when backing in, pull out and start again; it's a kind of reset thing.

DW and I use walkie-talkies and she's excellent with the "right-hand down a bit" or "left hand down a bit"; I'd recommend these cheap little helpers as it can reduce confusion.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Lot's of really good advice, as mentioned, whenever possible always back to the left for better visibility. Get some traffic cones or build some markers from PVC pipe (something that won't do damage if you hit it) (reflective tape is nice) to use while you are backing. It is nice to have a recognizable reference point, also the marker is good for your spotter to gauge distance. Always take a good walk around before you start backing, go slow, don't hesitate to take another walkaround as needed, try to avoid depending 100% on the spotter. Good luck, with practice it will come to you.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
back it up, back it up, back it up ... oops ! ....go forward, back it up , back it up, back it up, ... oops ! ... go forward, back it up, ... well you get the picture.

It's like sex, just because you can't get it right the first time, doesn't mean you should give up ... just keep working on your technique ... it'll get better
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #20
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Judypetrick View Post
I was not sure which forum to use. My question is: how did you all learn to backup your trailer into a small space? Any suggestions. We have a 22 ft. Air stream.
1. If you're really struggling, consider practicing with something smaller and less expensive. A lawn mower with a leaf trailer works well, and the principles are the same.

2. Start by practicing how to back in a straight line in a large open space, like an empty church or school parking lot.

3. While still in the parking lot, practice making and recovering from turns. Don't try to back into any particular spot, just practice turning a corner to the left and straightening back out. Then try the right, which is harder.

4. Do this on several different days.

5. Then try turning into a particular spot. You can bring markers or use the painted lines on the parking lot. Ice cream pails work ok as markers, just use anything that won't hurt the trailer if you hit it.

It takes more practice than most people realize.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Backing a TT is a snap, once you get the hang of it. Sure, it's great to do a one-shot back-in job, but I still have to adjust more than half the time by pulling back forward and coming back again. A bit of double-think is involved, so take your time, and keep your foot off of the accelerator.

All this is simple compared to those folks who come in with double-towed rigs and want to back their second towed vehicle into our storage area. Talk about doubling the double-think! I generally request that they just drop the second towed right in our road, park their RV, and then come back to park the second towed into the storage area.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
clovis , California
Walkie talkies are good for boondockers, but most times your cellphones and bluetooth work great.
Left and Right are relative terms when you are backing up. Does "right" mean turn the wheel right, or make the back of the trailer go to the right ( which usually involves turning the wheel to the left). If your helper is in front of you your right and his right are two different things. Two minutes of pre park planning to clearly define the terms is time well spent.
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Originally Posted by Bk Yd Safari View Post
That is really rude if somone already has thier camp set up. How about just practice untill you are capable and comfortable in backing your trailer.You don't need to be pulling a trailer if you can't back it in where you need to.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
be sure spotter knows left from the other left.
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Once using the bottom of the wheel to steer while backing becomes 2nd nature for you, backing becomes a lot easier and your confidence will only grow. Going slow and making small corrections is the recipe for success. I still remember my Dad's favorite expression, "Easy does it." As you practice in that big open parking lot, you will discover that 1/4 turn of the wheel going forward will take you in a circle and the trailer follows nicely. The same 1/4 turn of the wheel in reverse if left unchecked will result in a jackknife with something getting bent or broken in short order. Arriving at your destination before dark has many advantages, and one is the shadows your trailer casts on the ground which sometimes helps you judge where things are that you can't directly see. As others have mentioned, I always try to back to the left if possible. With all the focus on what's going on back there, don't forget about that big rock or post near the entrance of the site.
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Originally Posted by Bk Yd Safari View Post
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
That is really rude if somone already has thier camp set up. How about just practice untill you are capable and comfortable in backing your trailer.You don't need to be pulling a trailer if you can't back it in where you need to.
Even when they have their vehicle in your site?
I had to ask someone to move their vehicle so I could use the pull through site it was in, that I was assigned to.

The way some people park is quite inconvenient at times, while a vehicle blocking half the road might be far enough out of the way to drive past it, it can be blocking the possibility of backing into 3 sites.

So while it might be rude to ask someone to move their vehicle (which I think it would only be rude if more then 50% of other people could make it into the spot), they may have been even more rude to leave it there in the first place.

It's not like he said "ask them to move their RV." That would be rude.

Personally I would rather move my vehicle then have someone run into it, how about you?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Learned when I was 15. My mom and dad and I would go sailing or fishing on the summer weekends, dinner and drinks with friends often followed. As soon as I got my permit I became the designated driver for the drive home while my father slept. I learned by trial and error backing on a steep upward slope into the garage with a clutch. Fortunately my dad normally slept though that part too.

Its one of those skills that few people I know have ever learned. I've helped a few friends with their U-Haul rentals over the years.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
good advice

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Backing up to the left gives the driver a better view of where the trailer is headed.

I found this technique to be very helpful. In any case in which you can approach the camp spot such that you've backing the trailer in where the tow vehicle/trailer arc allows visability by the driver looking out his window instead of across the vehicle and out the windows on the opposite side of the two vehicle is much easier, regardless of experience level. But do this in the beginning if possible to reduce frustration.

mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote