Old 05-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Also - I have a long time ago made the whole mistake of going into a parking lot I could not get out of - luckily it was with my 16 foot bass boat - I had to unhook move the boat by hand - then re-hitch - luckily no one was around to see me embarrassed
Been there and done that! I have to say that one of the worst situations I had with the Airstream was at the Walmart in St Augustine. I decided to stop for supplies but quickly learned that they built these far reaching end curbs on their parking rows and, I believe purposely set their lot up without thought of towing. It was bad as I could not get around lanes easily with the cars and the curbs without swinging out a ways then with oncoming customer traffic in cars it made it tense. I could not back- too busy.

Towing video? YES, I have one! It is excellent. RV Education 101 Trailer Towing and Backing. I have both their Trailer vids. I am most times alone so I have no help but sometimes I have had helpers appear. I can back. I always backed the boat in the water, etc. with no issue but I find that the visual is difficult with the trailer as it is rounded. You really have to look at the lower side. Also, it is not always easy knowing the angle you are at as so much is hidden. The video gives one piece of advice that is good to me with partners. Have the person stand beside you outside the Tow vehicle facing the rear. Then they call the direction it matches the steering direction and then have them move rearward when closing in on the spot.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #72
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
The video gives one piece of advice that is good to me with partners. Have the person stand beside you outside the Tow vehicle facing the rear. Then they call the direction it matches the steering direction and then have them move rearward when closing in on the spot.
Easier for untrained partners who inevitably want to face you as they give you directions— steer with your hand on the bottom of the wheel, not the top. The bottom of the steering wheel moves in the direction you want the trailer to go.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante View Post

i can picture the geometry quite well as a spotter and provide good guidance from there, but somehow when i get in the cab to back up everything goes haywire in my head. She is more skilled in that department, thank goodness. Meanwhile, i keep practicing in big parking lots and other places where the risk is very low indeed.

x2!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Wish I could get those videos streaming!

I have a buddy who is a darn whiz in reverse!! If I just had a large parking lot, some cones, him, truck, trailer, camera on lift... I could make that series...
Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
BTW, love the RV Education guy! He's really neat to watch do his thing, and everything he says makes such great sense.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Been there and done that! I have to say that one of the worst situations I had with the Airstream was at the Walmart in St Augustine. I decided to stop for supplies but quickly learned that they built these far reaching end curbs on their parking rows and, I believe purposely set their lot up without thought of towing. It was bad as I could not get around lanes easily with the cars and the curbs without swinging out a ways then with oncoming customer traffic in cars it made it tense. I could not back- too busy.

Towing video? YES, I have one! It is excellent. RV Education 101 Trailer Towing and Backing. I have both their Trailer vids. I am most times alone so I have no help but sometimes I have had helpers appear. I can back. I always backed the boat in the water, etc. with no issue but I find that the visual is difficult with the trailer as it is rounded. You really have to look at the lower side. Also, it is not always easy knowing the angle you are at as so much is hidden. The video gives one piece of advice that is good to me with partners. Have the person stand beside you outside the Tow vehicle facing the rear. Then they call the direction it matches the steering direction and then have them move rearward when closing in on the spot.
Wish I could get a copy of that video quick... I'm supposed to pick up next week. I wonder how long it would take if I ordered from his website..
Old 05-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #77
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
check this out:

Old 05-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
check this out:

Old 05-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #79

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I remember backing into one spot in a private campground that was perpendicular to the campground road. To make it all the worse across from me were several 5th wheels whose truck owners parked parallel to the road which left very little shoulder space for swinging in. I pulled more forward than normal past my site and started my turn very early to allow me to cut harder yet be deep enough in the spot so my van could miss the vehicles across from my site. I got out after getting backed in and my neighbors in the site next to me stood up and applauded! Guy came over and told me that I obviously knew what I was doing. I noted that it really was many years of backing.

As noted by others it's not always necessary for you to get the tow vehicle straight once you get the trailer into it's spot. Some hitches however require some level of straightness. I remember one site that really was awful and I was using a Reese Dual-Cam hitch. I got the trailer in, but my car was really at a nasty angle. I found that the angle would not allow the tow bar on the inside angle enough clearance to get it out of the saddle. I had to jockey back and forth many times to get the minimal angle necessary to allow the clearance I needed.

One of the things I really like about my Equal-i-zer brand hitch is that I can be at a very extreme angle and still can easily detach or attach the tow bars.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I sure hope the Blue Ox hitch is the same way, cause I feel that more often than not, your ending position will not be straight.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Last weekend at spring rally at lowden state park went solo, site was blind side, attempted as I can do but trees fiberglass stakes for permits hard, jacknifed left rear truck brushed tree very small dent scratches buffed out, aborted went wrong way on rd. still not easy back in, not much wiggle room for 31 ft. and full size pick up, so no matter how much exp. still can muff it.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I sure hope the Blue Ox hitch is the same way, cause I feel that more often than not, your ending position will not be straight.
We're hoping so as well. We're considering going with the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch.