Old 05-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Lots of times I need to pull forward a little to fine tune the angle of the trailer going into the space and or adjust the truck angle. No big deal. It was the same issue with a hay wagon in my youth on a farm.

The Hensley and ProPride each have a square 2" x 2" steel bar stinger that does require precise alignment to be able to seat the stinger in the receiver socket in the hitch head on the tongue of the trailer. Some times that requires several "adjustments" in the TV position. Once aligned, the adjustment jacks can be used to rotate the head or adjust the angle to align with the stinger.

On our last outing, the front of the truck was at a lower elevation than the rear wheels, so the angle changed as the truck backed up hill. In this case the tension was completely loose on one side a little was applied to rotate the head and that worked.

I usually take the unit the storage unit alone. While each space is 12 feet wide with white lines, the steel support poles for the roof are about half way down the space on each side. There is also a "power" pole awaiting the curb side rear of the trailer. Slow and easy is my motto. Sometimes one pass and all is well, sometimes several efforts are required.

In my experience, the "tiredness" level of the driver also has a impact on the backing skills and ability to receive "messages" from the DW.
Also makes me feel better. It doesn't happen perfectly every single time.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #58
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Backing into a spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
So, why does a trailer not want to turn loose of the truck?

A little off topic, sorry about the hijack, but I guess that for new owners it's related to backing in. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

In our case it was a total lack of experience. We wouldn't have needed any help if we had the first clue what we were doing at the time. We didn't really know how to tell when the trailer's weight had been lifted off the TV. (Did I say we were n00bs? We knew pretty much nothing about trailering.) There's lots of advice on this topic across the Internet. Some threads are better than others. I've avoided reading the ones that suggest using a hammer.

The person who helped us simply jacked the tongue up a few more inches and then hopped up and down on the bumper a couple of times until it released. He was kind enough not to tease us about it.

Here are a few more detailed suggestions, which assume we're already satisfied with the side-to-side level of our trailer and that the WD bars have been removed. Your mileage may vary, etc. I'm just relating what has worked well for us so far.

1) Chock the trailer wheels to help ensure the trailer won't go anywhere once it's un-hitched.
2) Release the latch.
3) Start raising the tongue with the jack. We watch closely as we jack up the tongue - with just a little experience it becomes obvious when the trailer's weight begins to move from the hitch to the jack. We watch for and identify that moment.
4) From there, it's mostly just watching the TT and TV relative to each other as we jack the tongue up enough to lift it off the hitch ball.
- If the trailer won't let go when it clearly should, we sometimes try jumping gently on the TV bumper to see whether that pops it out.
- If that doesn't work, we may have a bit of tension or pressure between the TV and the TT that prevents the hitch from releasing. (Perhaps we backed the trailer up a slight incline into our campsite, or pulled through on a slight incline.) We're going to release that tension: We lower the jack again until there's just a little weight on the TV. This ensures that we won't have a sudden, potentially dramatic, separation of the hitch at the next step. We very carefully put the TV in neutral and let it roll forward or backward maybe an inch. We're talking a very small amount of movement of the TV. We're not trying to move the TT; we just want to align the hitch ball within the TT tongue by re-positioning the hitch ball an inch one way or the other while the trailer doesn't move. Once we've accomplished that, we put the TV in Park, set the brake, and try again to lift the trailer off the hitch. This typically works just great.

Once we have the TT safely off the hitch and we know it's not going anywhere, we remove the safety chains, etc., pull the TV forward, and then level the trailer fore-to-aft.

Piece of cake. Our n00b camping neighbors were totally thrilled when they realized how easy it would be for them to resolve this problem in future.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
On second thought - I once had to go to a local campground solo in my AS and asked a neighbor to help me

He helped me get it done but it is much more annoying to work with a person unfamiliar with instructing you in the way you are used to it in any way at all

Mostly with my wife and I - after we look it all over - I could do it solo if the spot did not have a very tight setup with things to hit on the blind side

But the part where dear wife is most helpful is:

1) telling me when to initially cut and get things started - once the 30 foot trailer is angled in and even a bit into the spot I have easy visual reference to track my progress

2) she tells me when to stop relative to any obstruction at the rear or for lining up for hookups best

Probably the most difficult for us was a funny spot at Vogel state park - it was I think site 19 or

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Also - I have a long time ago made the whole mistake of going into a parking lot I could not get out of - luckily it was with my 16 foot bass boat - I had to unhook move the boat by hand - then re-hitch - luckily no one was around to see me embarrassed

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I look site over, then have wife stand where I want left rear bumper to be , then I back keeping her in site at all times, using remote mirrors, if I can't see her I need to and not afraid to correct backing, when I have bumper next to her she raise arm with closed fist, this means stop. This standard practice in trucking industry. Much better than shouting.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

All,

When you purchased your TT, did the dealer or PO spend snu time to show the basics?
When we got our 30' excella, the salesperson spent about an hour with us hooking, unhooking, driving around the block, etc.
Really helped us - backing up or (un)hitching at various angles a different story.
Probably the most effective relationship test there is.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #63
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The Hensley and ProPride each have a square 2" x 2" steel bar stinger that does require precise alignment to be able to seat the stinger in the receiver socket in the hitch head on the tongue of the trailer. Some times that requires several "adjustments" in the TV position. Once aligned, the adjustment jacks can be used to rotate the head or adjust the angle to align with the stinger.
So we talked to several owners of Hensley's and Proprides over the last two weeks at Highland Haven, one of them, the president of the southern WBCCI chapter showed us that there is a pin on the Hensley, you pull it and can move the head without doing all the steps above you mentioned. He said most folks don't know how to do that and thus end up spending tons of time adjusting. And then it locks right back into place.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
So we talked to several owners of Hensley's and Proprides over the last two weeks at Highland Haven, one of them, the president of the southern WBCCI chapter showed us that there is a pin on the Hensley, you pull it and can move the head without doing all the steps above you mentioned. He said most folks don't know how to do that and thus end up spending tons of time adjusting. And then it locks right back into place.
That's interesting, I haven't picked up yet, but I opted for the blue ox wd hitch. We'll see how it works out
Old 05-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Someone should create a set of videos on backing with camera from above. It's handy to just get a grip on which angles and when for which situation.

Certainly too wheelbase of the truck plays a factor.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Speaking of yelling, is there a way to urgently get someone to stop what they are doing without yelling? Those times when you need them to STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!

We had just finished backing in and getting the trailer leveled side to side and I was raising the tongue off the ball. I had it cleared and since she was closest to the driver's door, I asked her to get in and pull the truck forward a few feet. So, she gets in, starts it up and next thing I know, she is BACKING UP! The hitch hits the tongue the trailer is trying to move back against the wheel chocks. Did I mention that we were backed up to a deep stream bed? Anyway, there were people sitting outside their campers across the way and I hated to do it, but I yelled "STOP, STOP NOW!!!". Fortunately, the wheel chocks held and I patiently told her to pull forward, not back. That was sort of embarrassing but whatever. The trailer didn't go into the streambed and we had a great time after that.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
Someone should create a set of videos on backing with camera from above. It's handy to just get a grip on which angles and when for which situation.

Certainly too wheelbase of the truck plays a factor.
We love ours. Once you get it dialed in for your vehicle it is a piece of cake to hitch and unhitch. Just be sure to monitor the clamps on the trailer frame as they will tend to move up off the top of the frame if not tightened really well. There is no noise and no sway with a properly loaded trailer.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
We love ours. Once you get it dialed in for your vehicle it is a piece of cake to hitch and unhitch. Just be sure to monitor the clamps on the trailer frame as they will tend to move up off the top of the frame if not tightened really well. There is no noise and no sway with a properly loaded trailer.
Can you pm me more on what you think a properly loaded trailer is? And if you have any info on proper hitch setup, that's helpful too. I like to be as educated as possible
Old 05-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile backing in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Speaking of yelling, is there a way to urgently get someone to stop what they are doing without yelling? Those times when you need them to STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!

We had just finished backing in and getting the trailer leveled side to side and I was raising the tongue off the ball. I had it cleared and since she was closest to the driver's door, I asked her to get in and pull the truck forward a few feet. So, she gets in, starts it up and next thing I know, she is BACKING UP! The hitch hits the tongue the trailer is trying to move back against the wheel chocks. Did I mention that we were backed up to a deep stream bed? Anyway, there were people sitting outside their campers across the way and I hated to do it, but I yelled "STOP, STOP NOW!!!". Fortunately, the wheel chocks held and I patiently told her to pull forward, not back. That was sort of embarrassing but whatever. The trailer didn't go into the streambed and we had a great time after that.
Yelling stop when in danger is not same as guiding to space also pound on back of tv will get there attention real quick
Old 05-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #70
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Backing into a spot

Hey, I'd love to see someone film the backing-in process from above with a drone. Great idea for anyone who has one. Annotate the film with the position of the front wheel throughout, and you've got yourself a really helpful film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfrank9 View Post
When you purchased your TT, did the dealer or PO spend some time to show the basics?
Yes indeed they did a pretty good job. However, we were so new to towing in general and Airstream in particular that some of the information must have bounced off. I wish we had written notes or perhaps even made videos of portions of the walkthrough. By the time we got to our storage facility and managed to park the trailer there, it was well past sunset and we were working in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfrank9 View Post
backing up or (un)hitching at various angles a different story.
Probably the most effective relationship test there is.

You got that right - if you can't get to the point where you can peacefully back up your trailer as an effective team (whatever that means for you!), then it's going to be a long camping trip. There's no right / best way to work together, really - it will vary with each couple, and each must do what works best for them, keeping peace, happiness and tranquility between the partners so they can enjoy the trip instead of foundering on the rocks of backing into a spot.

I should also have mentioned we have a deal. If DW can't hear me on the radio she will not move the trailer, she can and should get out to have a look at things any time she wants, and I *only* yell if something is about to go very wrong indeed. If I yell, it's one word, "Stop!" I can picture the geometry quite well as a spotter and provide good guidance from there, but somehow when I get in the cab to back up everything goes haywire in my head. She is more skilled in that department, thank goodness. Meanwhile, I keep practicing in big parking lots and other places where the risk is very low indeed.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote