Old 05-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We have walkie talkies but only use them now when no cell reception

Wife talks on phone - I have my nifty Bluetooth headset in (lg tone plus) and we take our time and get r done

Honestly I never would probably go help someone as I expect most often they want to do it themselves without being bothered?

Nothing beats my audience I had trying to hitch up for 20 min straight with what seemed like a whole family of Mennonite kids just watching - only thing they had missing was popcorn - I still calmly got it done

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #44
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
The one time we felt compelled to help was when the folks next to us were having trouble un-hitching. They had released the latch and jacked up the tongue in an effort to get it off the TV, but when that didn't work, they tried pulling forward to release the hitch. Fortunately, they had raised the rear of the TV enough that the wheels spun instead of dragging the trailer forward with the jack down.

Turns out it was their first campsite after buying the trailer. We gave them a quick in-service on how to safely and easily un-hitch, saving them from damaging their new rig. It felt really great to be able to easily give back to the camping community, especially since we had such trouble un-hitching the very first time. Our first experience was so bad we had to call AAA to help us figure out why the trailer wouldn't let go of the truck. We'd definitely "been there, done that."

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It felt really great to be able to easily give back to the camping community, especially since we had such trouble un-hitching the very first time. Our first experience was so bad we had to call AAA to help us figure out why the trailer wouldn't let go of the truck. We'd definitely "been there, done that."
So, why does a trailer not want to turn loose of the truck?

I am yet to hook up to my first trailer, so, I'm hoping to get schooled-up before I have this problem and make a scene in an RV park with my first Airstream!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:08 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
So much advise from good hearted people. I think everyone needs to find what works for them. There is no "ONE" way to back up a trailer. You have to find what works for your brain. I use the mirrors, I look over my shoulder and I never have anyone that is spotting for me "tell me how to move the steering wheel or drive the TV". I feel a spotted should not be taking to me, but using hand signals to show me which way the trailer needs to be moved and I am responsible for moving it that way. I try to always use a ground guide (spotter) and they use hand signs only to show what direction to move the trailer it's simple and no confusion about left or right, the ground guide points in the direction you need to go.

Joe D
Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Stupidly got trapped in a very narrow parking lot along the Ohio river a few years ago with the 25 foot AS. Had to unhitch and reset the truck. It's just something you may have to do some day, no big deal. Jim
Old 05-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
We have walkie talkies but only use them now when no cell reception

Wife talks on phone - I have my nifty Bluetooth headset in (lg tone plus) and we take our time and get r done

Honestly I never would probably go help someone as I expect most often they want to do it themselves without being bothered?

Nothing beats my audience I had trying to hitch up for 20 min straight with what seemed like a whole family of Mennonite kids just watching - only thing they had missing was popcorn - I still calmly got it done

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
LOL some of these are too funny! And thanks for making me feel better!!!

What we've learned with the boat are the following:

1) My wife is better behind the wheel, and I'm better at giving directions. I can just see the geometry better, see into the future better, understand what the front of the truck needs to be doing, and she takes directions well.

2) We have a system of commands from hard right or left, to chase it, to chase it a little, to chase it a lot, to straight (even if the trailer isn't straight) , to trailer right, trailer left, and she knows exactly what to do to the wheel.

3) Backing in a straight line is a snap.

4) We both have a good long look with a plan first, and we look along the way if needed.

5) sometimes, you just gotta start over, oh well.

6) we NEVER argue about it.

7) There's a difference between parking in a "postage stamp" sized spot with walls from a bending angle than parking someplace with many feet on each side.

8) Sometimes the trailer doesn't want to let go of the ball!!!!!!! grrrrr

9) I still don't understand every starting position, just not enough experience yet.

10) We still have our radios we used with the bus.

11) I can't wait for a new spot to open so I can store my boat in a straight line. We have to double hitch on the WAY OUT too! There's just not enough room to get the boat out far enough, and THEN turn without hitting the fence. Gotta pull it out half way, then re-angle, then get on with it.

12) Other campers are incredibly nice!!! And I appreciate at the very least, their advice and thoughts for consideration. I have never felt "stranded" in a campground. Some of my best buddies are fellow campers I met along the way, some near, some far.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Stupidly got trapped in a very narrow parking lot along the Ohio river a few years ago with the 25 foot AS. Had to unhitch and reset the truck. It's just something you may have to do some day, no big deal. Jim
That makes me feel better. I guess sometimes that's just going to happen eh?
Old 05-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #51
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Wow.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Wow.
Checked out your blog you other day. I commend you!

I have a bag of popcorn here, so be sure to keep up with it
Old 05-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #53
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
reminds me of what we used to call "divorce boats".
Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
reminds me of what we used to call "divorce boats".
Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As I solo Airstream dragger (sp) I have learned that sometimes there is a point when I have to ask for help. Just too many angles or elevation changes, drop offs, trees, etc. to get a handle on it. Also sometimes unsolicited help can be more of a hindrance than helpful. I have had to say "no think you" more than once when the helpful neighbor was simply getting in the way or confusing more than helping. Some seem to take it gracefully and others as a personal insult. If I have to get out 5 or more times to check my status so be it. For some reason I find it much easier to back my 23 Safari than the previous Bambi II. Could all be in my head or that I simply am finally learning how to back a trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Lots of times I need to pull forward a little to fine tune the angle of the trailer going into the space and or adjust the truck angle. No big deal. It was the same issue with a hay wagon in my youth on a farm.

The Hensley and ProPride each have a square 2" x 2" steel bar stinger that does require precise alignment to be able to seat the stinger in the receiver socket in the hitch head on the tongue of the trailer. Some times that requires several "adjustments" in the TV position. Once aligned, the adjustment jacks can be used to rotate the head or adjust the angle to align with the stinger.

On our last outing, the front of the truck was at a lower elevation than the rear wheels, so the angle changed as the truck backed up hill. In this case the tension was completely loose on one side a little was applied to rotate the head and that worked.

I usually take the unit the storage unit alone. While each space is 12 feet wide with white lines, the steel support poles for the roof are about half way down the space on each side. There is also a "power" pole awaiting the curb side rear of the trailer. Slow and easy is my motto. Sometimes one pass and all is well, sometimes several efforts are required.

In my experience, the "tiredness" level of the driver also has a impact on the backing skills and ability to receive "messages" from the DW.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote