Old 07-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1978 29' Ambassador
Lloydminster , Saskatchewan
Back from the Yukon

Would have stayed there if we could! Had a great trip, saw a few fellow AS'ers, and met some really interesting people! We only had a couple of issues with the trailer along the way (minor at that), but everything went off without a hitch!

We're planning to go back - not right away, but definitely gonna go back - and hopefully make it into Alaska next time as well.

Wegotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sounds like a fun trip. How many miles did you cover?

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Sounds like a great trip!
Question, what was it about the Yukon that made it so great a trip and why would you be willing go back?

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Originally Posted by Wegotone View Post
Would have stayed there if we could!
In the 1970's the Yukon had an advertising slogan- "See the Yukon in the spring and you'll never leave."

When I drove to Alaska in '71, we stopped to eat lunch by a lake along the road. Almost spent the rest of my life right there.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Spring in the Yukon would be April ?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1978 29' Ambassador
Lloydminster , Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Sounds like a great trip!
Question, what was it about the Yukon that made it so great a trip and why would you be willing go back?

Wow, I don't even know where to start to answer that one! First, yes, it was a great trip - and I owe a HUGE thank you to all who recommended that we buy the MilePost book - it was absolutely great! We were able to see a whole lot more things with that book that we may have simply passed by otherwise!

Last year, we took a trip through parts of Southern BC, and it was really beautiful scenery, but also VERY busy highways - this trip had some equally beautiful scenery, the roads were just as good, and not nearly the rush of traffic. Plus, we saw a whole lot more wildlife which was great for the kids. There is so much history in that highway, and if you are interested in that kind of stuff, I highly recommend trying to make the trip some day. Our next one that way will definitely include Alaska as well.

The only thing that 'disappointed' or rather surprised me was the many businesses along the highway that were just abandoned - some of them were listed in the book as closed, but many weren't. I think that people just couldn't make a go of it, and closed up shop. That, and there were a few places that we stopped that the owners were 'less than friendly' and the establishments were not well kept. Of course, we just avoided those places on the way back - no biggie.

One recommendation - we bought a generator for our trip, and it was a very wise investment - alot of the private camping areas along the road were far from private sites, and packed in like sardines. However, the provincial parks along the road were very nice, private sites, and quiet - and only $12/night. Of course, they had no services so you have to be pretty much self-contained. We did stop at the odd privately owned place for decent showers and laundry, but for the most part, we stuck to the provincial ones.

I could go on and on - but I won't. If anyone wants to ask anything else, feel free - I'm still on a high from the trip and love to talk about it!

Wegotone is offline   Reply With Quote