Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Hmmmm... when do the AZ schools let out for the summer? Maybe we should look at going the 1st week in June!!?? It may not be as crowded then.
Jim...I'm not sure when the schools are out...I think it varies, but I do know that the high season in Show Low hits around Memorial Day weekend... I'd not recommend coming for that weekend (or any other holiday weekend)...it will be crowded.

Ditto what Jimmini said about coming up Monday or Tuesday for best selection...we got here one Sunday in June last year and although we saw bumber-to-bumper traffic heading back down to Phx on our way up to Show Low, we were surprised that there was a still line to get into the park...we got one of the last sites available on a Sunday afternoon...and only because it was a small site! An hour later and we'd have been shut out. On Monday and Tuesday new comers were lurking near sites that were scheduled to vacate that day so they could grab them as soon as they emptied...

There are 4 loops...all of which will be open by that time with many spaces (only 2 loops are open now)...but many are "double" spaces (two sites that share a common pad with separate utilities...and are very close to one another)...and some sites in the upper loops don't have sewer hookups, if that's an issue.

I hate to say it, but summer time is a crap shoot on getting a site...and it's difficult to say when the best time to get here is... I, too, wish they start a reservation system because even driving from Tucson is a long way to go to not get in...

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Jim...I'm not sure when the schools are out...I think it varies, but I do know that the high season in Show Low hits around Memorial Day weekend... I hate to say it, but summer time is a crap shoot on getting a site...and it's difficult to say when the best time to get here is... I, too, wish they start a reservation system because even driving from Tucson is a long way to go to not get in...
Darn! The Phoenix and Tucson school systems get out the same time as Albuquerque. Rod teaches for APS so we're tied to the school schedule for the next 3 years (retirement) So, we'll be fighting with all the families for the same sites. It looks like the best time to go will be late spring and early fall.

I called the park today and he told me that you can get a space most week days if you get there early enough. Otherwise there is an overflow that you can stay at for one night. We're about 5 hours away so we could get there by about 1 or 2. However, there is still no guarantee and the double sites don't sound so thrillling unless it's shared with someone you know.

Reservable sites in the Northeren New Mexico parks sound really good! You guys should think about coming up this way. it's a lot cooler than Tucson!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
<snip>

Reservable sites in the Northeren New Mexico parks sound really good! You guys should think about coming up this way. it's a lot cooler than Tucson!
We are looking at New Mexico for future trips...there's a lot to see there!
Unit #3954
Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Fool Hollow Lake State Park-Early Spring

We got back from a week at Fool Hollow Lake Sate Park near Show Low, AZ, earlier this month and have finally got our travel log updated (link below)... It was a great time...spring has not really sprung up there yet...days in the 60s and nights in the 30s/40s and pretty windy a couple of days...but there are patches of green grass and a few dandelions poking their heads out...it won't be much longer now... As always, we had a fun time...Fool Hollow is now like a favorite old sweater for us, we've been there so many times...but are never disappointed.

Here are a few pictures to entice you to go to our website and see more...

Photo #1: A wintery shot of the lake...the water is still muddy from the run-off, but it will clear up by May and be blue again...the Lake is higher than we've ever seen it...
Photo #2: This is from one of the northern loops higher on the hill and overlooking the bluffs to the Lake below...
Photo #3: Our favorite camp site...#15 in Red Head Loop...
Photo #4: Reflections from our rear window...with the Airforums sticker!! Yea!
Photo #5: Greg in his "You bet they still make 'em!" t-shirt from Airstream Life magazine... the Bambi on the t-shirt is just like ours!
Photo #6: Greg and the Girls who are catching the wind in their ears and pretending to be "Flying Nuns"...
Photo #7: Heading down into the Salt River Canyon...see the switchbacks on the other side?
Photo #8: Salt River Canyon...see the River?
Photo #9: Terry in his "Warhaul" t-shirt from Airstream Life magazine...

Our next trip (leaving tommorrow) is for Cottonwood, AZ and Dead Horse Ranch State Park, which we have never been to...so we are excited to fo there...this is where the 4CU has had a couple of rallies... From there we are heading a little south and west to Prescott, AZ, to check out that area...so stay tuned for that update...

Happy trails to you all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_02_Sm.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	58440   Click image for larger version

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_33_Sm.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	58441  

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Camp_11_Sm.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	58442   Click image for larger version

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Camp_20_Sm.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	58443  

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Greg_18_Sm.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	58444   Click image for larger version

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Greg_20_Sm.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	58445  

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Homeward_13_Sm.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	58446   Click image for larger version

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Homeward_28_Sm.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	58447  

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_TB_10_Sm.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	58448  
Unit #3954
Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
GREAT pics TB - keep 'em coming!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:17 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks, Jim and Rod...glad you are enjoying them!
Unit #3954
Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Terry - I have to say that I'm loving your website - all the pictures and the wonderful descriptions are fabulous! Makes me want to visit Arizona... Kudos!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
We are looking at New Mexico for future trips...there's a lot to see there!
We have gone that route for the same reasons. You really don't need reservations, never had a problem. Lot's and lot's of dry camp areas, many near water and few people. Silver City is the gateway and only a few hours from Tucson.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Terry - I have to say that I'm loving your website - all the pictures and the wonderful descriptions are fabulous! Makes me want to visit Arizona... Kudos!
Well thank you, Michelle! Glad you are enjoying the pictures and our travel log ramblings... We are always encouraging folks to come and see our beautiful state...we are sure enjoying it at every opportunity!

Come on down!
Unit #3954
Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab
We have gone that route for the same reasons. You really don't need reservations, never had a problem. Lot's and lot's of dry camp areas, many near water and few people. Silver City is the gateway and only a few hours from Tucson.
Thanks for the tips, Ahab...we are beginning to look in the NM direction to find some relief from our epic summer heat (you know what I mean)... We have been to Silver City when we had a small motor home, but not with the AS...we need to get back there! And soon!

See you down the road, neighbor!
Unit #3954
Old 04-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Well thank you, Michelle! Glad you are enjoying the pictures and our travel log ramblings... We are always encouraging folks to come and see our beautiful state...we are sure enjoying it at every opportunity!

Come on down!
I have a work colleague who lives in Paradise Valley and has a cabin near Show Low. I've always threatened to come and visit, and now that I've seen your pictures I may have to do just that!

As an aside, I love the work you guys have done on the interior of your Bambi. The cushions and the colours look fabulous.

Keep up the great work!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
I have a work colleague who lives in Paradise Valley and has a cabin near Show Low. I've always threatened to come and visit, and now that I've seen your pictures I may have to do just that!

As an aside, I love the work you guys have done on the interior of your Bambi. The cushions and the colours look fabulous.

Keep up the great work!
It owuld be a great trip...lots to see in AZ and virtually any climate/altitude you want is here within a couple of hours...

And thanks for your words oubout the interiors...we are enjoying doing them and have even created an new interior for a friend who also has a newer Bambi...so if anyone has a newer Bambi and wants new slip covers and/or curtains give us a PM...

Ease on down the road....
Unit #3954
Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Super Photos as Usual TB...

Hey TB,

Kudos as usual on your pics.... Man they are nice, everyone is literally a postcard...

I'll attach one of mine from tonite, and as you will see mine is just a "snapshot" while your's are truly "photographs".

In case you can't tell where I be at, I am in Jackson Center, back to get my Bambi repaired from the tree limb falling on it... And, I hope you don't mind, but I am also going to blatantly, shamelessly, copy youse and get the rear and street side awnings installed like you have. I just love how that looks on your Bambi. Last January when I was down in Key West parked 3 feet from the ocean, the sunlight every morning would blast right in thru the rear window and I kept saying that "I was going to get a rear window awning like AZBAMBI..."

Anyway, it was your idea but I am doing it anyway... :-)

At any rate, I am sitting right now at the Terraport here in Jackson Center on a Saturday night.... For excitement I went out and watched the town's traffic light (there is only 1) go from green to yellow to red for awhile... It just keeps doing that over and over and over again...

That is about it for the excitement in Jackson Center on a Saturday night....

It is also only about 60 degrees and a medium rain coming down so I have the furnace fired up while typeing away and cooking some dinner...

So that is about it for now...

Best regards, Dave...

(Shari stayed home in Maryland and is planting tomatoes this weekend).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0635.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	58618  
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerda
Hey TB,

Kudos as usual on your pics.... Man they are nice, everyone is literally a postcard...

I'll attach one of mine from tonite, and as you will see mine is just a "snapshot" while your's are truly "photographs".

In case you can't tell where I be at, I am in Jackson Center, back to get my Bambi repaired from the tree limb falling on it... And, I hope you don't mind, but I am also going to blatantly, shamelessly, copy youse and get the rear and street side awnings installed like you have. I just love how that looks on your Bambi. Last January when I was down in Key West parked 3 feet from the ocean, the sunlight every morning would blast right in thru the rear window and I kept saying that "I was going to get a rear window awning like AZBAMBI..."

Anyway, it was your idea but I am doing it anyway... :-)

At any rate, I am sitting right now at the Terraport here in Jackson Center on a Saturday night.... For excitement I went out and watched the town's traffic light (there is only 1) go from green to yellow to red for awhile... It just keeps doing that over and over and over again...

That is about it for the excitement in Jackson Center on a Saturday night....

It is also only about 60 degrees and a medium rain coming down so I have the furnace fired up while typeing away and cooking some dinner...

So that is about it for now...

Best regards, Dave...

(Shari stayed home in Maryland and is planting tomatoes this weekend).
Thanks for the post Dave...glad you continue to enjoy the pics and travel log...

We are so pleased you are getting that limb damage taken care of right way...I don't think I could stand to look at the AZBambi if something like that were to befall us. (Knock on wood.) You've handled the trauma quite nicely, and for that you should be proud.

You will love the rear and curbside awnings. We are at Dead Horse Ranch State Park near Cottonwood, AZ, at the moment...we are in a "new" loop that doesn't have very mature trees, so there's not much shade to be had...the weather isn't too hot yet, but we still use the awnings to minimize the "heating up" factor and give us some shade. The guys at the dealer where we got them call the awnings "portable trees." When all the awnings are deployed it looks as if it's about to take off! I don't think you'll be sorry, and am pleased that our efforts served as inspiration. Now you have to come out to AZ so we can meet up camping somewhere wiht the "twins" and confuse the heck out of everyone!

Sounds like a real invigorating Saturday night in Jackson Center. How long will it take them to fix it?

Good luck with it and let us wee it when they get done...a "before" and "after" would be great...

Unit #3954