Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Picacho Peak in Spring

Hey All...

We went a little nuts with the camera as usual, but now that we've gone through the photos and uploaded our trip log to our travel log website (link below) of our trip to Picacho Peak 13-18 March, we thought we'd post some photos here to let you see how beautiful it is at Picacho Peak in the springtime and tempt you to visit our travel log for more pictures and details of this trip to Picacho...

We experienced 80 degree days as well as low 40s nights and a couple of spring rain storms coming from CA...it was a very pleasant stay... And fitting that we should go here, as this is where we went on our maiden voyage in the Bambi exactly 1 year ago!

Pic #1: Picacho Peak from the campground...
Pic #2: Desert flowers with Peak in background...
Pic #3: Detail of window rock formation...and clinging plant...
Pic #4: Saguaro and the Peak...
Pic #5: Cloudy sunset...
Pic #6: Saguaro at sunset with Peak in background...
Pic #7: Cloudy sunset...
Pic #8: Classic AS sunset...
Pic #9: Campsite with another AS in the background...see it?
Pic #10: A neighbor's kite from our campsite looking NE...

We are leaving Wednesday for our annual spring trip up to Show Low, AZ to stay at Fool Hollow State Park, another favorite place...while it's still cool, as we have begining to hitting the 80s here in Tucson these days... We'll be there a week+ and are really looking forward to it... If you're in the neighborhood, stop on by! Always happy to see other Airstreamers!

Stay tuned for our pics & notes on that trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_08_Sm.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	56906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_12_Sm.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	56907  

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_46_Sm.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	56908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_52_Sm.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	56909  

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_64_Sm.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	56910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_67_Sm.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	56911  

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_74_Sm.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	56912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_79_Sm.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	56913  

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_Camp_16_Sm.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	56914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picacho_Mar08_Kite_02_Sm.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	56915  

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Thanks, Jim...Glad you are enjoying the pictures...see our post below with pics from last weekend at Picacho Peak...and check out ur travel log for the Full Monte on that trip...lots more pics.

While your're roaming up that way through Payson, go east toward Show Low...there are lots of NF camp grounds and private ones in that area...on on east toward NM... In fact we are heading up to Show Low Wednesday, staying at Fool Hollow State Park for a week+...it's one of our favorite places to stay...this is our annual Spring visit up there whiel we can stil get the winter "eal...7 nights for the price of 5...have to love it...and that's with full hookups.
We made it through Payson and stopped at Houston Mesa. It was a beautiful CG but the road noise was a bit much. We headed east as far as Heber then we cut up north towards Holbrook. We didn't make it as far as Show Low. There were a lot of FS camp grounds but they were all closed and locked. Houston Mesa was the only one we got a chance to see.

I saw the Fool Hollow web site. It looks really nice. We'll have to check it out sometime.

Enjoy your trip and post lots of pictures!

Jim

Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Oh, sounds like fun! I've been doing a lot of that recently, albeit all virtually. Been thinking a lot about Aztec and the surrounding area ...

Lynn
Yup Lynn - it was fun. Exploring campgrounds is almost as much fun as camping itself! We saw some pretty nice places. After seeing Terry's pictures of Fool Hollow St Park I'm sorry that we didn't get a chance to see it yesterday.

Aztec sounds pretty cool. We'll have to check it out.

Jim
Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We're at Fool Hollow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
We made it through Payson and stopped at Houston Mesa. It was a beautiful CG but the road noise was a bit much. We headed east as far as Heber then we cut up north towards Holbrook. We didn't make it as far as Show Low. There were a lot of FS camp grounds but they were all closed and locked. Houston Mesa was the only one we got a chance to see.

I saw the Fool Hollow web site. It looks really nice. We'll have to check it out sometime.

Enjoy your trip and post lots of pictures!

Jim
Jim...

We are at Fool Hollow Lake now (got here Wednesday) through next Thursday...it's fairly quiet, even for a Friday...beautiful weather...60s in the day and high 30s/low 40s at night...clear skies, light breezes... Spring has not sprung here yet...just a few early dandelions here and there...but still very nice... We lucked out and got our favorite camp site, and we have an excellent air card internet connection from it (first time here with the air card). Here are a few pics...more to be posted on our travel log once we are back and can upload...so stay tuned! No other Airstreams here (yet)...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_02_Sm.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	57200   Click image for larger version

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Camp_03_Sm.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	57201  

Unit #3954
Old 03-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Terry - It's gorgeous - wish we were there!

BTW - I'm not sure if you saw it on my "it's killin' me" thread, but we ordered our Airstream on Thursday. We're getting a 28' Safari SE in Midnight Sun.

J
Old 03-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Terry - It's gorgeous - wish we were there!

BTW - I'm not sure if you saw it on my "it's killin' me" thread, but we ordered our Airstream on Thursday. We're getting a 28' Safari SE in Midnight Sun.

J
I saw that your order was going in on Thursday! Congrats! You are going to love it...ours is also a Safari SE in Midnight Sun, though a bit shorter! Greg has created several curtian/slip covers/throw pillow/pillow sham decors to change out for various trips...this time, we are enjoying his newest...in Red and Black...and using a hunter's plaid red & black throw as a bedspread....

He recently made curtains and dinetted slip covers for a friend of ours who has a 19' Bambi CCD..."...to put more color in his life," as our friend said... He's getting it down to a science and does quite wonderful work. If anyone is interested in talking with him about creating a decor for their Bambi PM us! He'd be thrilled...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Decor_05_Sm.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	57223   Click image for larger version

Name:	FoolHollow_Mar08_Decor_01_Sm.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	57224  

Unit #3954
Old 03-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Greg has created several curtian/slip covers/throw pillow/pillow sham decors to change out for various trips...this time, we are enjoying his newest...in Red and Black...and using a hunter's plaid red & black throw as a bedspread....
Hmmmm you're giving me some ideas! I scrolled back through some of your pictures and saw some of your various schemes. Quite nice. I see that you also get the right accessories (like the red and black dishes.) It's just so... well... you know what I mean!!!

I'm in the process of making a quilt for the bedroom to get a little more color in there. The midnight sun is my favorite of the color schemes but it still needs a little work. Plus, I'm trying to think of ways to personalize it a little too.

Enjoy the remainder of your week - travel safely and post lots of pictures!

J & R
Old 03-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hey Terry,
I have the midnight sun upholstery as well. After seeing Greg's work, I am inspired to reduce the overtly heavy midnight sun bedspread and use it for a spread for the opened lounge. The remnants will be re-cycled into pillow covers. Great photos of Fool Hollow Lake, have fun,

Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang
Hey Terry,
I have the midnight sun upholstery as well. After seeing Greg's work, I am inspired to reduce the overtly heavy midnight sun bedspread and use it for a spread for the opened lounge. The remnants will be re-cycled into pillow covers. Great photos of Fool Hollow Lake, have fun,

Larry
Thanks, Larry... Like yours, our AS is relatively new...therefore we have not had to do an overhaul of the interior to make it our own and/or funtional, but we find that changing our the "soft" elements of the interior...the cushion covers, curtians, rugs, etc., is an effective and fairly inexpensive way to make our Bambi our own... It's truly amazing how a change in these components totally changes the atmosphere...and the great part is that aluminum goes with everything!
Unit #3954
Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Terry - You have me really excited about Fool Hollow Lake. It looks fantastic. I think we'll plan to spend a week there this summer.

It looks pretty easy to get to from central New Mexico. The guy at the park said that there are usually spaces available in the summer - although it fills up on the week ends.

Can't wait!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Terry - You have me really excited about Fool Hollow Lake. It looks fantastic. I think we'll plan to spend a week there this summer.

It looks pretty easy to get to from central New Mexico. The guy at the park said that there are usually spaces available in the summer - although it fills up on the week ends.

Can't wait!
Very nice lake and CG but Get there on Monday or Tuesday in the summer a lot of the camping spots there are doubles if you dont want to park with someone you do not know.Also some near the lake have only water and electric no black hook up's
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini
Very nice lake and CG but Get there on Monday or Tuesday in the summer a lot of the camping spots there are doubles if you dont want to park with someone you do not know.Also some near the lake have only water and electric no black hook up's
That's what I figured we'd do. When I talked to the park guy he said that there are generally a few spaces available every afternoon and once we're in there we can grab another site as they become available. We'll most likely go on a Monday and stay through the following weekend.

It's too bad that they don't reserve at least a few spots. Most NM cambgrounds reserve 3 or 4 at every park.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
It's an AZ state park thing. Roper lake state park and one in Yuma will take reservations, the rest is FCFS. The pressure from Phoenix in summer is unbelievable up there, it will be jammed. A great park and this time of year is fantastic.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
It's an AZ state park thing. Roper lake state park and one in Yuma will take reservations, the rest is FCFS. The pressure from Phoenix in summer is unbelievable up there, it will be jammed. A great park and this time of year is fantastic.
Hmmmm... when do the AZ schools let out for the summer? Maybe we should look at going the 1st week in June!!?? It may not be as crowded then.