1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57

Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
OK...the travel log update for the trip to Nothern Arizona and the Mogollon Rim described in post #206 is uploaded and ready for viewing! Enjoy! Just click on the link in our signature below...

Coming Soon: 3 Weeks in Northern New Mexico...4CU Heron Lake Rally (near Chama, NM)...followed by camping in the Jemez Mts south of Los Alamos, NM ... followed by the 4CU ABQ Balloon Fiesta Rally...

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #213
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
TBRich, your pictures are inspirational.
This is an old thread but I am glad to see it's still going. My DH and I wanted to drag our Bambi down to Tucson in February to visit our daughter and the Gem Show. All the private campgrounds looked pretty unappealing to us. Crowded, squashed together, no privacy and other issues.

You seem to have a handle on campgrounds in the great state of AZ. Do you have any recommendations for us at that time of year? Any comments you have to make will be much appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Kathleen...glad you enjoy our pictures!

The important thing to know about coming to Tucson during the Gem & Mineral Show is that it's VERY busy here...there are so many people from out of town that accommodations can be an issue. Unfortunately that includes the few public campgrounds in the area as well...

Catalina State Park on the far north side is always busy during the winter because it's very close to town (actually it's near Oro Valley), and will be busy during the Gem & Mineral Show... It has beautiful views of the west end of the Catalinas and Pusch Ridge. They do not take reservations, which complicates matters...

Another public campground in the Tucson is Gilbert Ray Campground... which we personally like very much. It’s in a beautiful part of the desert on the west side of the Tucson Mts. (Electric at the sites, water available, and has a dump station...there are bathrooms, but no showers)... This is within Pima County’s Tucson Mountain Park and it is very close (as in next door) to Saguaro National Monument West and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum...a world-class living museum that is really a “must-see”... It’s also close (also next door) to Old Tucson Studios, if you like that sort of thing. If you tow your trailer to Gilbert Ray, take Ajo Road (pronounced áh-ho) west, south of the Tucson Mts and take Kinney Road north to the Campground. You’ll see signs for Gilbert Ray...which is north of Old Tucson but south of The Desert Museum... DO NOT tow your trailer over the Tucson Mts via Gate's Pass which is an extension of Speedway Blvd...it is steep, narrow and winding...not where you want to have a trailer behind you. If you want to go up to the view point at Gate's Pass for a rather spectacular view to the the west (gorgeous at sunset), unhitch your trailer and leave it below...

The only other public campground I can think of in the area is Molina Basin Campground in the Coronado National Forest and the first campground on the way up Mt. Lemon on the Catalina Highway and is fairly close to the east side of Tucson. It is dry camping and there is no water available. Trailers and RVs under 22' are allowed.

A little further away is Picacho Peak State Park ... about 45 miles north of Tucson just off I-10...it has three loops of electric sites...water is available and there are showers as well as a dump station.

If it were me, I'd try for Gilbert Ray first. While it's on the west side of the Tucson Mountains (the city of Tucson is on the east side of the Mts), it is relatively close to town...

We have camped often at Gilbert Ray and Picacho Peak and you can see lots of pictures on our travel log (link below)...we have not camped at Molina Basin but we are thinking of trig it this winter...

Hope this helps!
Unit #3954
Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #215
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
TB, thank you for your valuable input. We have some planning to do but clearly we had better do it sooner rather than later. The public camp grounds do seem to be better than the private ones; at least the ones I've looked at so far.

My husband, Pat, dreads camp grounds without a sewer hookup, lol. Even with my 'help' at the dump station he still finds the entire process to be trying. Hopefully we'll find a place we can deal with and not do the Robin Williams routine at the dump station.

Again, thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #216
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Yes, crowds! Even with the economy being so down last year, it was very crowded and people were buying.

We've camped at Molino and it's very nice, usually deserted but fills on the weekend. It would be a bit chilly in Feb. The sites are mostly open, paved.

Bog Springs is another we enjoy in the Tucson area. It's in Madera Canyon, near Green Valley. Here's the lowdown on it:
Bog Springs Campground Great birdwatching and hiking there. However, be aware, it is old and the road in the campground is narrow and twisty.

There are also a couple of commercial places in the Green Valley-Amado area. Google campground green valley and they should come up

Straw Cottage
jwvastine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #217
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
jwvastine:

Thanks for the input. I Googled and found the Green Valley RV Park. It has all the right facilities although the spaces don't look very large or private. Oh well, if it's only for a week we can deal. I'll do some more research. Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #218
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I just remembered this place,Desert Trails (formerly known as Justin's), that people seem to like (I follow several FT blogs). I've never seen it, at least not since the property was a water park about 15 years ago. Whatever you find I hope you have a great visit.

Straw Cottage
jwvastine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
AZBambi Update

In case anyone is wondering, we are once again getting behind in the upkeep of our travel log, as the fall is very busy travel time for us...and our "behindness" we apologize for...

The last update on our website is our trip in Aug leading to Labor Day...since we have been to Northern NM for 3 weeks starting with the 4CU Heron Lake Rally and culminating in the 4CU Balloon Fiesta Rally in ABQ...then we went ot Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point), Mexico with two other 4CU Airstreamers ...and spent a quiet Thanksgiving at Picacho Peak...and I fear we may not get our acts together to post more before we leave for our Holiday trip in a couple of weeks. So please bear with us. We'll get there eventually.

Part of our delay is because our world suffered a great loss a few days after returning from Mexico in mid-November when one of our cockers, our Little Orphan Annie, passed away due to a combination of old age and chronic health issues, despite her fighting the good fight. Her little bright light in our lives is greatly missed. We've decided it's time to change our signature to reflect her absence...and we wanted to include a small tribute we made to her to share with those who knew her ... it's attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Annie Eulogy 17Nov10.pdf (225.8 KB, 49 views)
Unit #3954
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #220
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Dear T.R. and Greg,
Jon and I are so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Annie. We know she had a great life with her two wonderful parents and sister.
We take these glorious creatures into our lives, they give us so much, unconditional love, laughter and now sorrow. We know that the joys she gave you will remain in your hearts forever.
Thinking of you all, Jon and Deb

FCU WBCCI #1601
I Don’t Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks, Jon & Deb...that's appreciated...are are just glad her time came at home and that she went quietly and without pain with her family around her...
Unit #3954
Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #222
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
TB Greg and Sadie

I'm sorry for your great loss. My wife and I have always had two cockers and experienced the sudden loss of one of our guys this past spring. The loss is still with us, especially our surviving guy.

Remember the joy that she brought you.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks, nsbcpa...Annie had always had major health issues...and she lived far longer than anyone expected her to... As she grew worse over the last couple of months we knew her time was running out ... but it seems we are never "ready" to see them go... Sadie is doing OK we think, but you know cockers...they can have such sad little faces sometimes with those big ol' eyes...
Unit #3954
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #224
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Dear Terry, Greg, and Sadie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I enjoyed reading about the adventures the four of you took. I'll miss your pictures entitled "The girls at the campsite" or "Terry/Greg and the girls". Those were always so sweet. Pets may be with us briefly, but they make our lives so full. And of course, she was one lucky dog to find you.

All my sympathy,
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote