Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
AZ, UT, & CO. Help Plz?

Hey folks, trying to plan out our trip to AZ, UT & CO in May. Can anyone in the Phoenix area recommend a CG that has awesome views plz? We will be attending our nephew's graduation the 2nd week in May from ASU. We are not too hip to staying in downtown Phoenix, we want the best views where we camp. Suggestions please?

On to Utah... I understand we will need plenty of H20! How full do the campgrounds get in May? Not seeing too many of them. Not sure if I have waited too late to reserve a spot. Hope not.

Can we get by w/o a generator when visiting the SW in May? I'm thinking a gen-set is a must, but experienced voices, please reply.
Any must-see places in Utah besides the 5 parks?

Colorado....We are wide open after Utah, but we have friends in Denver that we would like to visit. Any must-see places in Colorado coming from Utah?
Your help is greatly appreciated, and if our paths cross, your first drinks are on us! (Hope to meet up with MandolinDave & Westcoasta's too! TY for your help.)
Thank you my fellow AS'ers.
It's all about the ADVENTURE.
Gavin & Kay
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
Are you going to Moab, UT? If so, there is a pretty active BASE jumping community there. If you're interested, there's a very popular spot about 5 minutes from town on a gravel road where there's pretty steady activity. Just look up and you'll see bodies flying off of the 400' cliffs... then opening parachutes.

I'll be spending roughly August thru November there if anyone is in town during that time, I can provide quite the show.
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The only nice campgrounds with views are on the outskirts of the entire metro area of Phx., all about 30+ miles from ASU. Lost Dutchman at the base of the Superstitions has the best views and access to mountains and lakes. Cave Creek has a nice county park.

Utah and Colorado are big states with a lot of big views. You need to check out allstays.com for campground descriptions depending on your preferred route. You will encounter warm weather in southern AZ and parts of Utah in May but you can find parks with hookups for AC if the weather gets hot.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
May might be a tad early for the high country. But I would recommend the 4 corners area. There are RV parks near Durango, Mancos and Cortez that are open year round.
A person could spend a month in southwest Colorado and not see it all.
I highly recommend the Alpen Rose RV park just north of Durango on Hwy 550. Nice people nice place. I believe they open in late April but you should check.
If you are traveling further north the James M. Robb State Park in Fruita, CO. Is a nice place.
Be aware that traveling in the HIGH country in May you will experience night time freezing temps and may encounter snow albeit short lived. It does mean that the roads may be snow packed and icy at elevations above 7,000'. Spring snow storms are relatively common in the mountains that time of year.
There are web cams on most major highways in Colorado which will give you an idea of the road conditions. Especially over the mountain passes.
Travel Safe

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Lost Dutchman State Park

I second Lost Dutchman State Park at the Apache Junction at the east end Metro Phx for a base...far enough out to be scenic yet close to groceries and gas and easy access to Phoenix and Tempe. We were there over Christmas for a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747x_Sm.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	231473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748x_Sm.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	231474  

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Lost Dutchman State Park in AZ, Phoenix area will fill your bill very well for views, and it is a fast and straight shot into ASU on 60 from Apache Junction.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
It depends upon what you want to do in Utah and where you want to go. Moab has become so popular that even the more remote BLM campgrounds are filling up early. Arches and Zion National Parks take reservations for their campgrounds-- highly recommended.

Zion's Watchman campground has the advantage of electrical hookups. The South Campground is first-come, first serve, and we got in there once in April by dint of lining up at the entrance at 9:00 am.

Bryce Canyon's campground is also first come, first serve, but there are several RV parks just outside the main park entrance. We've stayed at Ruby's Inn a few times, and thought it was nice-- space between the sites is good.

The campground at Fruita in Capitol Reef National Park is often open-- if you can arrive in the morning.

We thought of Horse Thief Campground near Moab (near Dead Horse Point State Park) as our go-to campground, till even it started filling up. The BLM does allow some dispersed camping in the desert beyond this CG, but this isn't the kind of place where you'd want to leave the main roads after dark without a clear destination. There are nice RV parks in Moab. We recently stayed in the Spanish Trail RV park there.

There is a fun private Airstream park in Escalante, Utah: the Shooting Star Airstream Resort. It has an RV park, an Airstream "hotel," and old cars in which you can sit at their drive-in as you watch an old movie.

If you have a clear idea of where you want to go hopefully we can be more helpful.

Besides the major Utah national parks, I would recommend the Escalante area, Dead Horse Point State Park, Natural Bridges NM, and if you have a 4wd high-clearance tow vehicle, dropping your trailer and exploring some of the better-maintained dirt/gravel roads. We also like the north San Rafael Swell (Wedge Overlook and San Rafael Bridge CG), but I don't know if you wish to go this far north. If you are interested in ancestral Puebloan ruins, and like more remote places, try Hovenweap NM.

If you like to boondock (which is mostly what there is, outside of the RV parks,) a generator or solar panels are a good idea.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Lost Dutchman SP is our favorite in AZ, as well as everyone else, apparently. regards, Craig
Old 02-01-2015, 02:16 AM   #9
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Arizona/Utah boarder near Monument Valley has Gouldings campground with about the best view I've ever woke up to see.
About half way between Grand Canyon and Moab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1422782134880.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	231490  
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Gavin, just realized you have a MH and a trailer.

Tough call on which to take. MH would be great for getting there. BUT…….

I am not sure, but it REALLY seems like obstacles were left, or obstacles were installed to keep RVers from getting very far off of the highway, especially in Utah. Upon arriving at most of our destinations, I would say, " You really had to want to get here".
Being able to unhook the trailer and go off road, would be a plus. Please do not stress about the decision, as you will have a great time no matter what. My brother thinks it would be foolish to bring my trailer at all, and that I should just do the van thing. His RV is a beat up, reinforced Toyota Corolla, with skid plates.

Above Mexican Hat and The Valley of the Gods, is a road called, The Moki Dugway ( translation; The white man's road ) It has a STEEP section with hair pin turns . RVs are simply NOT ALLOWED. No big deal, back tracking and driving the long way around for 2 hours, is a very nice scenic drive. I would make a note of that on your map.

Travel time in Utah is like a time warp, that doesn't translate. While a four hour trip can be a nightmare some places, it is a dream in the Southwest.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Oops, my bad

Just realized that you don't have a motorhome
Old 02-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post

Above Mexican Hat and The Valley of the Gods, is a road called, The Moki Dugway ( translation; The white man's road ) It has a STEEP section with hair pin turns . RVs are simply NOT ALLOWED. No big deal, back tracking and driving the long way around for 2 hours, is a very nice scenic drive. I would make a note of that on your map.
Not true. The state suggest that vehicles over 28 feet do not negotiate the 10% grades and hairpin turns. However, with a TV and trailer, it is very doable with the articulation. Have done it twice. Have seen small semis as well.

However, I would not suggest it unless you have some experience with mountain passes and are not afraid of 1000' drop offs without guard rails. It is one of the scariest grades you'll find

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
lost dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I second Lost Dutchman State Park at the Apache Junction at the east end Metro Phx for a base...far enough out to be scenic yet close to groceries and gas and easy access to Phoenix and Tempe. We were there over Christmas for a week.
We stayed there about 10 years ago and say the northern lights. we were all a but drunk and thought is was a hallucination but the papers the next days said is was seen as far as Mexico

Very nice place
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
If your coming this far you really need to do the Grand Circle in Utah which is all of the Utah National Parks. (Also Mesa Verde in Colorado) Many other places to see including Monument Valley. My Wife and I agree that this was one of the best trips we have done in the Airstream!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Greenacres , Washington
We just left the White Tank Mountains Regional Park, NW of Phoenix, but easy access to the city. Lots of hiking trails and beautiful Sonoran desert landscape. There's a view of the city from the RV Park. ($30/night)

We will spend 2 weeks in Catalina State Park in the Catalina Mountains north of Tucson. A bit further from Phoenix, but also quick access.

Hwy 191 in Utah takes you to Dead Horse Point, Arches and Canyon Lands NP, and Moab. We stayed at the Spanish Trail RV park about 3 miles outside of Moab. We really enjoyed the area around Moab. May will be a good time to visit. Gets crowded in summer.
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Base729

Are you military in Aston, PA? Familiar w LaSpada's in Aston?

Can you recommend CG in or near Philly?

Thx,
369goose
Dunedin FL
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
Usually lost

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
Lost Dutchman is a great park. You may also want to look at McDowell Mountain Regional Park near Fountain Hills. It may be a little easier traffic-wise for getting to ASU.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Drummond , Wisconsin
Thanks for making this post. We are planning a similar trip coming from WI.
Reg Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Mojo, thanks for the more better info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Not true. The state suggest that vehicles over 28 feet do not negotiate the 10% grades and hairpin turns. However, with a TV and trailer, it is very doable with the articulation. Have done it twice. Have seen small semis as well.
I'm sure it can be done, and I'm sure you could get away with it, but I am still thinking 28 feet means 28 feet.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #20
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We would never do the Moki Dugway towing a trailer. We drove up it once with our former RAV4, and it is a very narrow, winding road up a cliff face ("dugway" meaning "blasted out of the cliff side") and with sheer drop-offs, no guard rails, and very few places to pull over. Just after we reached the top, we encountered a couple of gravel trucks going down. Happily we didn't encounter those brutes on the way up.

What we would recommend is visiting Natural Bridges National Monument (near the top,) and perhaps the scenic loop (valley of the gods) at the bottom, although the valley is skipable. NBNM has a small campground with smallish sites that filled up by 1:00 during our last visit, but there is dispersed camping on BLM land near the park. However, some of it is down rough roads. There are some nice hikes through the bridges, but you can't bring your dog on the trails.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote