Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Your route looks great - you've certainly done your due diligence. I see you are going around Detroit, and not through it. That is a good move, IMO. I drive around Chicago every day, making sales calls in the city and suburbs, without any hesitation. The traffic through the Detroit area makes me nervous whenever I go there. The traffic seems to move too fast for conditions, and the on/off ramps are frequently abrupt.
If you have any problems while coming through the Chicago area, don't hesitate to PM me for help.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Your route looks great - you've certainly done your due diligence. I see you are going around Detroit, and not through it. That is a good move, IMO. I drive around Chicago every day, making sales calls in the city and suburbs, without any hesitation. The traffic through the Detroit area makes me nervous whenever I go there. The traffic seems to move too fast for conditions, and the on/off ramps are frequently abrupt.
If you have any problems while coming through the Chicago area, don't hesitate to PM me for help.
True dat! I run Detroit roads frequently (obviously) and it is a bumper to bumper speedway! Turn signals are a sign of weakness there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
The ferry's value to me is that you get to explore two quaint towns - Ludington for the Victorian B & B's and more...Manitowac for the Maritime Museum - also a great once in a lifetime - at least - to take a ferry across one of the Great Lakes on a ship that might remind you of an Art Deco (?) era. Looks like a ship right out of a travel poster. It's fun just to watch the ship come in - money and time aside - weather cooperating it's a nice way to relax. And if the cherry trees are blooming in Michigan - wow! And, my Chicagoland hassle begins around Rockford and through Gary. So, when it was quoted as two hours... I wish. If you know where the tolls are and which lanes to be in - less stress - if you can get over! I prefer rush hour on the outskirts as you don't have the crazies weaving in and out as much at high speeds. When you have time if you are in Indiana and near Elkhart stop in at the RV museum - fun to see vintage trailers and support some nice people who work there and a great library that you can utilize! Safe travels!
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have driven in many large citys in US & many others & in 8 countrys in Europe, yes there are some not to desirable to drive, but as I stated be fore it can be done, but if you are afraid to drive these areas then avoid them.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Hmmm.... well I've certainly got lots of options and got a lot of feedback from first hand experience. Since the ferry won't be in operation yet by the time I go (unless I'm leaving a couple of weeks behind schedule), then that option is out and I'll either take I-80 during an off-peak period, or just take a more southerly route. Another time, when I won't be in a rush to get there, and have time for sightseeing, I'd love to explore the upper peninsula in Michigan and take the ferry.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think someone already mentioned it, but plan you route to take I39 to I 80 east. You miss Chicago and except for a stretch on I80 from I294 though the I69 area, traffic is pretty normal rural Interstate.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #87
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
When traveling North from DFW, Texas, I like to use I 35 North, I 30 NE, I 40 North, I 55 North, to US 51 North, to Bloomington, then I 39/90 on up into WI. Very pleasant drive and no large cities.
If you think Chicago's tolls are expensive. Stay away from Texas and the NTTA. A three axle trailer will cost you four (4) time your TV only toll using the "TollTag", and 7.3 times the "ZipCash" (no toll tag) rate. The NTTA requires the TT "TollTag" to be in the TV glove compartment , not displayed on the TT upper front window, even though, it is a mini-transponder. On another note, it was cheeper to join the Denver ExpressPass and give them a $40 deposit than not doing so. In two trips I saved the deposit and some more. But, they just keep the deposit with no refund option. Not as bad as Texas. I have complained to NTTA, but have not received an answer. Unfortunately, All these toll authorities are not connected electronically. It would sure make travel around the country easier if they were.
Maybe someday they will all join together in the the electronic world.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote