Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Austin to Ft Lauderdale

We are embarking on a first major streamcation on Sept 1st. We will travel from Austin to Ft Lauderdale and back, stopping in Destin Fl in the way there and New Orleans on tga way back.

We are extremely excited but completely petrified. We are fulltimers in our Airstream and it seems crazy to risk your house on the road! But we keep reminding ourselves that is what an airstream is for.

If we don't chicken out, we would welcome any suggestions on things to see or places to stay. We are looking at the french quarter RV park in New Orleans and Crystal Beach RV park in Destin. Havent yet decided on where to stay in Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks,
~Yevette
yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Going east, If I have to go through Houston in the daytime, I skirt around the north end and take US 90 east to Beaumont. A little planning will find a route around most of Houston using some FM road and a short stretch of toll road. US90 is not a bad road and there is little traffic once on 90. Same thing in reverse coming west.

In cooler weather, going east, I leave Austin after dinner and go through Houston with no traffic. I stop for the night at the Flying J in Orange. A bit noisy, but free. Too hot for that now, though.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I have made 2 trips in our Stream from DFW to the Florida Keys. Stock Island to be exact. IMO it's worth the extra 6 hours to go, if you have time. I stayed in West Palm and rode my motrecycle to Ft. Lauderdale. I rode on the A1A..all the way down.That was in 2006, before my Airstream days.

Be prepared when you get to Orlando to PAY Tolls...Per Axle. Unless you drive to Jacksonville and then go south. It's free all the way to Key West...but people drive like Idiots on that I-95. I live in the DFW area and honestly Noone else in the USA drives like them. Be careful and patient and you will do fine. Yes, I've been to NeW York, also...Trust me.

Again,..GO to the Keys. Stay at El MAR Resort on Stock Island,right before Key West. Boyds is no good,IMO. Eat at Hog Fish and The Rusty Anchor..not tourist traps,..where the locals eat.GO snorkeling in crystal clear water at Higgs beach in Key West. It's free..just buy your snorkel gear first. I spend HOURS in the water. Face down and butt up!...LOL There is a delaptated<sp> bridge that goes out about 200yds. No deeper than 8 feet. Beautiful. Just Beautiful...Then don't forget Duvall street. The Hemingway House. Mallory Square, live entertainers every night. The Atocha Meuseum,...Shopping....I love the Keys.

If you go that far,..you might as well. You only Live once...No passport needed and it is Paradise. Been going since 2005, either by plane,car or Airstream every year. Will continue to do it till I die. There is no place like it where you can pull a Airstream in the states. Carribean waters......Paradise.

Have Fun,
Shane

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote