Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Lakeway , Texas
Austin to Colorado

I'm looking for your thoughts on best route from Austin to Durango area, and then other ideas about where to go in Colorado to BEAT THE HEAT!
We're burning up down here. Unfortunately we only have about 2 weeks for this trip sometime after July 15th. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
2goldens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
I'm leaving Nacogdoches, TX this coming Saturday, July 2nd for Ouray Colorado. Highs in the mid to upper 70's, lows in the low 50's to upper 40's. Ouray is about 2 hours north of Durango. I have reservations at Ridgeway State Park. Will be gone about 16 days then have to get back home. You'll probably find many ways to go from Austin but I would take 35 to Ft Worth. 287 North to Amarillo. 40 to Albuquerque, then US 550 North to Durango. Have a good trip!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
OMG, you could a CONvoy...!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
For Durango, your best (least mountainous) route is to hit ABQ, then north to 550 and on to Durango.

But Durango, while beautiful, is also a bit warm due to its relatively low elevation (6,512 ft.). I'd head for higher elevations. How about, say, Gunnison (7,700 ft.) or Creede (8,799 ft.)?

Lynn

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I'm looking for your thoughts on best route from Austin to Durango area, and then other ideas about where to go in Colorado to BEAT THE HEAT!
We're burning up down here. Unfortunately we only have about 2 weeks for this trip sometime after July 15th. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I would probably go to Brady and take 87 until you get to Lamesa, Texas then 137 to Bownfield, 385 to Littlefield and pick up US 84 go to Clovis NM, Santa Rosa turn west on I 40 until you get to Cline's Corner and turn right to 285 to Santa Fe 84 to Pagosa Springs. There are some nice campgrounds at the base of Wolf Creek Pass its about 16 miles toward the pass or you can head to Durango Its about an hours drive. There are nice campgrounds at Vallecito Reservoir at Bloomfield north on 501.

Another route would be to go to Brownwood, to Abilene to Lubbock. Brownwood and Abilene are somewhat slow to get through then its Interstate of divided hwy to Lubbock. I have found its faster to go the back roads. You might get better fuel prices going through Brownwood. There is a Flying J west of Abilene a few miles and another one in Lubbock.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
We are in Gunnison, the weather is great. At Tall Texan Campground for a month. We were in Bayfield,CO atBayfield Pine River RV. Bayfield is a nice town east of Durango by 17 miles. It's in between Pagosa Springs and Durango. It seemed to be about 5 degrees cooler than Durango while there.
If you head north on 550 after Durango towards Ouray, keep in mind you have 3 passes to cross at 11,000' + -
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Sounds like there needs to be a July rally "Beat the Heat" we too are looking to head to Colorado somewhere between Durango and Wolf Creek Pass to get away from the Texas heat. We plan to head out around the second week of July. Looking for Highs in the 70's Lows in the 40's. Hope to see some of you around!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
That sounds like a great rally! We are headed that way this morning! We will be stopping at Palo Duro canyon SP, then on to ABQ and up 550 to Durango. We'll keep moving higher until it is cool enough!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Palo Duro must be pretty warm about now.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
wow looks like all of texas is making a run for colorado right now...never seen that before!! lol. you're definitely going to have to get high if you want to beat the heat or stay low and go with flow..find yourself a river to float
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Man we should have planned this out........would have been a heck of a aluminum convoy.
For those of you who find great campgrounds with cool weather please give us a PM or post seein how we will be about two weeks behind.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
One of the main reasons we left Texas for high country! You just can't beat ~40 at night and high 70s during the day!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
wow looks like all of texas is making a run for colorado right now...never seen that before!! lol. you're definitely going to have to get high if you want to beat the heat or stay low and go with flow..find yourself a river to float
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We'll be up at around 7300 ft. in about six weeks. I'm looking at sea level out the patio window right now, and it's 83 here.....so it's manageable.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Palo Duro and the high country

I'm sure it is hot as can be there. But it is hot here at the house too. Supposed to be 102 here today. Just couldn't drive past the second largest canyon in America without visiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Palo Duro must be pretty warm about now.
Cojer,
When we lived in CO about 18 years ago, every time we were in a traffic jam going up a mountain there was ALWAYS a Texan in a MOHO or towing a trailer crawling up the mountain! It used to make me so angry. Now I get to be THAT guy!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
I'll be getting Rocky Mountain High, hanging in Durango July 18-25 then on up to Montrose, Co where my Uncle & Auntie live (free campin'!) for a spell.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmith View Post
I would probably go to Brady and take 87 until you get to Lamesa, Texas then 137 to Bownfield, 385 to Littlefield and pick up US 84 go to Clovis NM, Santa Rosa turn west on I 40 until you get to Cline's Corner and turn right to 285 to Santa Fe 84 to Pagosa Springs. There are some nice campgrounds at the base of Wolf Creek Pass its about 16 miles toward the pass or you can head to Durango Its about an hours drive. There are nice campgrounds at Vallecito Reservoir at Bloomfield north on 501.

Another route would be to go to Brownwood, to Abilene to Lubbock. Brownwood and Abilene are somewhat slow to get through then its Interstate of divided hwy to Lubbock. I have found its faster to go the back roads. You might get better fuel prices going through Brownwood. There is a Flying J west of Abilene a few miles and another one in Lubbock.
Good routing, nicely done!

I would also consider the route on Google Maps where Eldorado, TX, Pecos, TX, and Antonito, CO are designated. In making this recommendation (and for any others) please consult maps and State websites referencing current wildfires (welcome to climate chaos trip planning ).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Speaking of campgrounds at the base of Wolf Creek Pass . . . we spent a night at Fun Valley years ago and unless something has changed it's the most crowded campground we have ever stayed in and because of the way it sits in the valley, all the campfire smoke just hangs in the air. There are people who love it and go back year after year but maybe I just like to stretch in the morning without putting my hand up against the next camper.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
I'll be getting Rocky Mountain High, hanging in Durango July 18-25 then on up to Montrose, Co where my Uncle & Auntie live (free campin'!) for a spell.
and you better be givin' us a ring when you get up here!...c'mon over the pass and i'll take you rafting on the arkansas!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I'm sure it is hot as can be there. But it is hot here at the house too. Supposed to be 102 here today. Just couldn't drive past the second largest canyon in America without visiting!

Cojer,
When we lived in CO about 18 years ago, every time we were in a traffic jam going up a mountain there was ALWAYS a Texan in a MOHO or towing a trailer crawling up the mountain! It used to make me so angry. Now I get to be THAT guy!
ha! now it's a moho pulling a jeep, pulling a trailer with 1/2 a dozen four wheelers, jeep is loaded down with bicycles, and coolers, and a couple canoes strapped to the four wheelers, eight bbq grills, a hundred fishing rods all tangled up hanging off the side of the jeep and rubbing against the rear wheel (that's where all the smoke is coming from) and 12 cords of wood not to mention all the aspen logs they picked up somewhere to drag back home to build 'em one o' them cool benches like what was out in front of that bar in pagosa. then they all pack into the campgrounds on top of each other. kids screaming, dogs barking, radios blasting, generators roaring......it all just looks like soooo much fun!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
Yup, it sure is nice and comfortable here in the western Colorado mountains during the summer. But in the winter, now maybe we will have to head down Texas way!
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote